ARCHIVE: 2017 Disruptive Ads / Advertisement on FT Reports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
PLEASE POST SCREENSHOTS of the FULL SCREEN and report your DEVICE TYPE, BROWSER TYPE AND VERSION, and COUNTRY where you are browsing from in your post.This thread is strictly for the reporting of disruptive ads, including unwanted popups, page hijscks, malware attempts, etc. related to ad content. Please refrain from discussion or speculation about technical issues if they are not reports as specified here.

Originally Posted by IBobi
We apologize for the bad ads. We hope in the new year to have a solution that handles them more proactively and quickly. Thank you for your patience!
We understand disruptive advertisements lessen the enjoyment of your FlyerTalk browsing experience. Please post all disruptive advertisement reports here; your full report (see above) will assist Internet Brands / FlyerTalk in handling these expeditiously. Admin / Tech attempts to respond to all reports speedily, but eliminating problem adverts may require communication with advertisements suppliers or devising technical solutions that may require time. (Internet Brands operates during customary and usual work hours on the U. S. West Coast; holidays, weekends, etc. are observed.)

To see how to include a screen shot in your post, once you have taken the screen shot follow the instructions "Inserting a photo or image from your device into a post:" in the first post in the thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...mage-post.html

NOTE: Internet Brands and FlyerTalk discourage the use of software that modifies your FlyerTalk browsing experience (e.g. ad blocking software). IB / FT declines all responsibility for the use of such software and can not provide support or assistance if such software is used. As well, we remind you IB / FT can only provide FlyerTalk free to members because of the financial support of advertisers; using ad blockers denies IB / FT income that would normally pay for your free community membership and browsing experience..

Posts suggesting or discussing use of ad blocking etc. software will be summarily deleted.

Link to Archive of older posts

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2017 Disruptive Ads / Advertisement on FT Reports

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2017, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I don't, and won't, access this place from a mobile. It seems amateur hour with the ads here.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 5:16 am

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
Originally Posted by Yachtman
I keep getting redirected to the Sky Bet app on my iPhone (Safari). It only happens on the Flyertalk forums. Incredibly frustrating.
I am also getting the SkyBet automatic redirect on Safari on the iPhone. It is increasingly frustrating.
I don't know how such a big company (BSkyB) are allowed to get away with having an advert that automatically diverts your Safari to the app store whenever you open a webpage with its advert on. I have cleared cookies and am certainly not a gambler so would hope that FlyerTalk is able to block the Sky Bet ads.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 6:41 am

I don't have screens shots but this is happening to me once a week. Very annoying!

Edit : another you need to run this software, your system is infected. Can't post on mobile. Totally unacceptable on FT!

Last edited by zitsky; Feb 11, 2017 at 4:56 pm
Old Feb 12, 2017, 5:52 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Yachtman
I don't know how such a big company (BSkyB) are allowed to get away with having an advert that automatically diverts your Safari to the app store whenever you open a webpage with its advert on.
I think that you will find that Sky actually has very little to do that with. Either they or their marketing agency create the ad -- its graphical content that is -- and then Sky would give it to their ad partners to distribute. I would not rule out those ad partners subcontracting things to increase the spread. After all, the more eyeballs and the more clicks, the more the profit.

But the above does not change the fact that FT should not be using ad providers that use such ads.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM
Okay this is starting to get tiring. For the last several months now, on serveral occasions, two separate advertisers when on flyertalk (Android) would randomly with out me getting near tapping an ad, redirect me to their scam pages. Just today this happened twice - in a five minute period.

The redirect today:
Spoiler

Hopefully, we can get this settled out and be more selective on the advertisers IB partners with.
​​​
..Android 6.0 / Chrome / Mobile Skin
Your post reminded me to turn on the safe Web browsing portion of my antivirus software. Can't tell if it's working yet.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 6:12 am

Fake Virus Warnings on Flyer Talk

Everytime I surf over here on my Android (running a new version of Nougat) I can fake virus warnings which requires me to disable Javascript to get beyond. I'm guessing it is coming from a rogue advertiser. Anyone else having this problem?
Old Feb 13, 2017, 6:48 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
To assure the Internet Brands team sees this, we'll move it to the Technical Support board.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 7:40 am

Also getting lots and lots (nearly every visit, several times per day) of redirects to fake virus/malware detection sites when visiting FT on my Android mobile. I don't have to disable anything to get away, but the back button doesn't work to get away and I have to just close the tab.

I'll try to get screenshots next time to post in the other thread.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 1:25 pm
Defunct Account

Please post any new reports of bad ads and screenshots to the main thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...een-shots.html

Originally Posted by synergistic
Also getting lots and lots (nearly every visit, several times per day) of redirects to fake virus/malware detection sites when visiting FT on my Android mobile. I don't have to disable anything to get away, but the back button doesn't work to get away and I have to just close the tab.

I'll try to get screenshots next time to post in the other thread.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
iPhone 6s Plus / Safari / iOS 10.2.1 / USA
Multiple hijacks in the span of several minutes.
Attached Images     
Old Feb 15, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
McAfee Webadvisor Blocking

McAfee is today blocking an advertisement, showing "We tested this page and blocked content that comes from potentially dangerous or suspicious sites..."
Old Feb 15, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Some websites that I know, when faced with many complaints about bad ads on mobile devices, have disabled ads on those platforms. Yes, doing so affects revenue, but it's better than growing displeasure from users that will do more harm in the long term.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 10:41 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
FT mobile has become unusable for me because of all these ads that keep redirecting my browser.

What a shame!!!! This is unacceptable!!

Last edited by florens; Feb 16, 2017 at 3:18 am
Old Feb 17, 2017, 7:36 am

Irritating hijacks continue, still no ability to back out of them - have to close the page and return to FT.

Screenshots from this morning, from an Android device using the Chrom​e app:

http://m.imgur.com/0mswnto
http://m.imgur.com/hMMiNsS
Old Feb 17, 2017, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by synergistic
Irritating hijacks continue, still no ability to back out of them - have to close the page and return to FT.

Screenshots from this morning, from an Android device using the Chrom​e app:

http://m.imgur.com/0mswntohttp://m.imgur.com/0mswnto][/url]
http://m.imgur.com/hMMiNsS
You don't expect this kind of problem from a place like Flyertalk. Very frustrating.

Guess what happened as I'm about to leave this thread! Another of these annoying fake warnings. I will try to post inage. I am so unhappy with IB and Flyertalk right now!!! There are other travel sites out there that don't serve up garbage.

Here is link to image.

https://imgur.com/gallery/qwhwu

Samsung Galaxy S5
Chrome
USA

SO GUESS WHAT?!?! WHEN I TRIED TO COME BACK TO THIS THREAD, AGAIN I GOT ONE OF THESE FAKE VIRUS WARNINGS. I DIDN'T SAVE THE SCREENSHOT. I WAS TOO UPSET ABOUT THIS HAPPENING TWICE IN 15 MINUTES!!!!

INTERNET BRANDS, YOU REALLY NEED TO GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER. BETWEEN THE TRENDING FORUMS AND FAKE VIRUS WARNINGS, THIS PLACE IS BECOMING UNUSABLE.

Last edited by zitsky; Feb 17, 2017 at 10:31 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.