Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in Zurich [ZRH]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2017, 11:06 am

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss...on-thread.html
Old Feb 21, 2017, 1:45 am

Programs: LX SEN
Yes 1) usually long-hauls arrive earlier than the schedule; 2) the security is very efficient in ZRH; 2) it is not a massive airport. Enjoy the ride.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:16 am

Perfectly fine. HKG, just as SIN, arrives early morning, usually just after 6am. Unless there is a major problem, not even the morning queue at immigration will be an issue. Either the aircraft is massively delayed (and then you'll know already in HKG), or you're making it. 99.9%.

However, a clear warning if you're going to fly in Y: LX is anything but premium in Economy (despite what they advertise) - and should you miss your connection, their "food offerings" in ZRH will be quite a joke - 3hrs delay, a voucher for a single coffee was offered last time (and ZRH is expensive, so you might want to go landside to grab something) - but since you'd know for (almost) sure while still on board if you're making it or not, not really much to worry here.

Either you've a tired old aircraft (A340), or you've a new (but fairly basic) airframe (B777) with extremely tight seating. Their European seats aren't much to write home about either.

I assume LX is the cheapest option for your connection, thus you'll probably not consider alternatives, just as a warning.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Perfectly fine. HKG, just as SIN, arrives early morning, usually just after 6am. Unless there is a major problem, not even the morning queue at immigration will be an issue. Either the aircraft is massively delayed (and then you'll know already in HKG), or you're making it. 99.9%.

However, a clear warning if you're going to fly in Y: LX is anything but premium in Economy (despite what they advertise) - and should you miss your connection, their "food offerings" in ZRH will be quite a joke - 3hrs delay, a voucher for a single coffee was offered last time (and ZRH is expensive, so you might want to go landside to grab something) - but since you'd know for (almost) sure while still on board if you're making it or not, not really much to worry here.

Either you've a tired old aircraft (A340), or you've a new (but fairly basic) airframe (B777) with extremely tight seating. Their European seats aren't much to write home about either.

I assume LX is the cheapest option for your connection, thus you'll probably not consider alternatives, just as a warning.

I would like to know if my luggage will be automatically transferred directly from HKG to CPH?

Also do I only need to clear passport control once in Zurich during my transit?
Old Mar 1, 2017, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by rogerli
I would like to know if my luggage will be automatically transferred directly from HKG to CPH?

Also do I only need to clear passport control once in Zurich during my transit?
Yes, you'll only have to clear passport control once while in ZRH. And yes, luggage will be sent directly to CPH.

Depending if all the "unclean" long hauls just arrived before your aircraft or not, the security in Gate E (which you'll need to pass on transit to A) might be taking quite some time. Still, if you've not yet transferred through ZRH before, do the "official" way of security in E on arrival, then clean side Heidi train to A, immigration into Schengen (passport control) there.

I'd suggest not try any of the other ways suggested here (There would be two other walks you could take on that transfer which both take more time when there is no queue, but might be faster if there is significant queue at E security check)

But just for anyone interested, the two alternatives:

Unclean Heidi train to A, and then
1) Towards Arrival, Immigration (can decide on the spot there since the divider is right after the train depending on queue), get landside, get immediately airside again through central security.
2) Towards Gate D, Security, then towards Gate A, immigration.

Option 2 is probably the most walking intensive option, but probably the least queue-prone one. But both options aren't for the average/first time ZRH transfer pax imho.

I'd just stick along the signs that say "Gate A".
Old Mar 1, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, IHG plat, DB Comfort, SPG gold
What usually annoys me the most (even though I seldom arrive in E) is the re-packaging of any liquid in carry-on baggage. I really don't know why they do that in the first place (and there really is no need to put the old liquid bag neatly folded into the new one), but that seems to be what makes waiting at E transit security a pain. Better not take any duty free liquids with you, as that will significantly increase the processing speed after an unclean arrival.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by bruce80
What usually annoys me the most (even though I seldom arrive in E) is the re-packaging of any liquid in carry-on baggage. I really don't know why they do that in the first place (and there really is no need to put the old liquid bag neatly folded into the new one), but that seems to be what makes waiting at E transit security a pain. Better not take any duty free liquids with you, as that will sigrnificantly increase the processing speed after an unclean arrival.
???
Never had such a thing at security when arriving in E.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by PetzLUX
???
Last year, when arriving unclean in E early morning, there was quite a queue at transit security. Everyone who had a tamper-evident liquid bag had to surrender this bag to a security officer who would then cut the bag open, take the contents out, fold the old bag, and put everything together into a new bag. As there were quite a few people who had this kind of bag on them, it took quite a while, as only one of the employees had to take care of all the baga in that way.

I really didn't get why they were doing this (the reason for those bags should be to avoid exactly that), but were still too tired to ask.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by PetzLUX
???
Maybe you've not noticed, but this thread is about TRANSFER in Zurich, which includes security when arriving unclean.

If you arrive in ZRH, obviously no security needed. But if you transfer in ZRH, arriving from a destination where the security is considered not up to "Swiss" standards (for whatever it's worth), and heading towards the "transfer" signs (and not Exit/Baggage claim), there will be a security check (afterwards you'll be in the same clean area (departure) that you're arriving coming from the clean side of the Heidi train when going to E gates.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Maybe you've not noticed, but this thread is about TRANSFER in Zurich, which includes security when arriving unclean.

If you arrive in ZRH, obviously no security needed. But if you transfer in ZRH, arriving from a destination where the security is considered not up to "Swiss" standards (for whatever it's worth), and heading towards the "transfer" signs (and not Exit/Baggage claim), there will be a security check (afterwards you'll be in the same clean area (departure) that you're arriving coming from the clean side of the Heidi train when going to E gates.
I guess he meant exactly that.. otherwise, there wouldn't be any security check after *arriving* in E..
Old Mar 2, 2017, 4:20 pm

I know exactly what this thread is about... I have posted many times in here... ... probably you did not notice...

I have passed security many times in ZRH in dock E coming from HKG, SIN, NRT, whatever... never observed so far the thing described above and it never happened to me either.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 2:46 am

LX 139 connecting LX1266 (CPH)

Hi there, further to my previous question:

1)I have been tracking LX 139 flight lately, does anyone know why the departure time is always delayed (although the arrival time has not been greatly affected)

2) My layover time is 1 hour (as stated) to Copenhagen. Will I need to run from where I arrive to where my departure gate is?

3) Does flying First class on LX139 help in making sure me and my bags make the connection to CPH?

Thank you all.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 6:25 am

1)I have been tracking LX 139 flight lately, does anyone know why the departure time is always delayed (although the arrival time has not been greatly affected)

2) My layover time is 1 hour (as stated) to Copenhagen. Will I need to run from where I arrive to where my departure gate is?

3) Does flying First class on LX139 help in making sure me and my bags make the connection to CPH?

Thank you all.
Delays of LX139 are mostly due to ATC in China. Not the fault of LX even when they arrive on time in HKG a few hours before.
The 777 is faster than the A340, so the flight time is shorter than before and arrival in ZRH is generally on time.

LX1266 is departing at 07.05 h from A or B.

No problem in ZRH for connection, as stated many times before in this thread.
Bags will make it too.
I made such transfers several times; never had any issue.

Arrival will be in E (or sometimes in D). Transfer security, train ride (if E) and passport control are doable within 15-20 min. as you will step out of the aircraft before all other passengers.

No special ground service so far (should be coming in 2018 - hopefully) for F/HON arriving in ZRH, except if heading to GVA or if tight transfer in case of delay.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 12:58 pm

Night ban in ZRH - no arrivals should be allowed before 6am (they're not super strict on it, landings in ZRH can happen before 6am and after 11pm, but they're not allowed to leave HKG with a scheduled arrival before 6am. And during winter time (Swiss time), the departure from HKG is only about 30min later than during summer time (again, Swiss time) thus they're basically almost always (unless very strong headwinds are predicated) waiting for quite a while.

In SIN, they're doing the same, with the difference that SIN in winter isn't any colder than in summer, thus you're basically backed (LX does NOT use the aircon when at the gate in SIN..)

Once, with less headwind predicted than usual (captain announced it) we basically stayed at the gate for 1 hour - no aircon. It was really hot when everyone boarded already, it got close to Sauna levels with a full A340 after waiting it out. Most uncomfortable ground experience ever. Guess the sign that is a promise means you'll have the see the swapped version of the cross after you take their flights.. (and yes, it ALWAYS happened, ie on every flight Ex-SIN I've took in winter, the 1hr one was just the worst) - unacceptable, and I've had some "hot ground experience" before - LX was levels above any of them.

You'll most probably arrive at E gates, have to pass security there (to become "clean") which can take some time. Last I reminder, no priority queue. Being F might make you first out of the aircraft, but if some other longhauls got into ZRH a few minutes before you.. you'll be there for a little while. Hard to say how much exactly since the capacity isn't THAT great, thus a bigger-than-usual amount of transit pax doing transit (instead of arriving) could delay you quite significantly. Missing your flight over it? Unlikely if you arrive on time.

The "safer" approach is to follow the signs towards arrivals, quickly get landside, then airside again. The main security has priority lanes (usually enforced, not always much faster, but built for a much higher amount of pax/hour)

Thank you all.
ZRH isn't known to lose much bags. 1hr should be fine for them making it. F might slightly increase the chance they're making it, but I wouldn't count on it increasing the chance. Maybe an increase from 99% to 99.1%?

If your bags don't show up in CPH, the local baggage service there won't really put much interest into the class you've flown.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:03 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Trying to figure out how to connect in ZRH is doing my head in.

CDG-ZRH arriving 10pm
ZRH-NBO the next morning
Both on LX in J.

How does this work? If I want to stay at the transit hotel which is near B/D gates, what is the process? I though B/D were non-Schengen? Do I have to clear exit immigration on arrival and then re-clear security into the B/D area? I heard that passport check ends at 2230 so I'd be cutting it close if I have to do this to get to B/D that night?

Then, am I set the next morning without further security or immigration checks and just head straight to my departure gate from the transit hotel? Any clue which gate? I'm in J so are there any lounge options available to me if I am already at B/D?

Edit: Ok, after reading pretty much the entire other thread on this, I think I have it. While I still don't get the whole clean/unclean thing,

I think, on arrival, I have to follow the 'transit' signs, exit Schengen and then clear security to enter the B/D gate area. I think the transit hotel is right next to the (inferior) D lounge. Or, if my flight were leaving from E, I could make my way over to the (superior) E lounge. Even if departing from D, I could go to E anyway if I wanted to endure either a security check via the Heidi train from D-E, or two passport checks (walking, going from D-A-E). Have I got that about right? I'm looking for the better breakfast option.

Last edited by Finkface; Apr 13, 2017 at 8:49 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.