Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in Zurich [ZRH]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:03 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by zap7
Hi,
I want to book HKG-ZRH-FRA (Award on LX flights ticketed on TK, LH direct route not available).

I could either rush with a 45 Minute connecting time after a 12 hours flight from HKG, having to do passport control / entering Schengen and catching the flight to FRA .
Or I could wait for 6 hours for the next connection after having traveled for 3 weeks and only wanting to get home as fast as possible...
If you want to get home as fast as possible, there's only one choice, right?

45 minutes is tight (incl. border control and ride on the train between docks E and A) but doable, particularly as you get off the plane fast from J.

I personally would probably take the later flight, go to the *G Lounge in E, have some coffee on the outdoor patio to get some fresh air and then use the relax area for a while...
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:50 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, DL Silver, EK Silver
Mct zrh-pek

Hey guys,

I just booked a J Ticket: EWR-ZRH (LX19) and then ZRH-PEK(LX196) with 50 minutes in between. Since its non-schengen to non-schengen is it possible? I know sometimes the EWR flight comes in a bit late -- will they make the PEK flight wait a bit if so?

Thanks!
Old Sep 26, 2017, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by ATLSam
Hey guys,

I just booked a J Ticket: EWR-ZRH (LX19) and then ZRH-PEK(LX196) with 50 minutes in between. Since its non-schengen to non-schengen is it possible? I know sometimes the EWR flight comes in a bit late -- will they make the PEK flight wait a bit if so?

Thanks!
Unless EWR is seriously late (>30min) you'll easily make the connection.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: United
40 minutes connection--doable???

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Unless EWR is seriously late (>30min) you'll easily make the connection.
Four of us are connecting from Brindisi Italy through Zurich on our way to Newark. All on Swiss Air and only a 40 minute connection time which according to Swiss is OK. Do you think we will make it? I am looking for the best advice on how to make it! Any thoughts as to what happens if we miss the connection, even if the first flight is on time?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by shemansl
Four of us are connecting from Brindisi Italy through Zurich on our way to Newark. All on Swiss Air and only a 40 minute connection time which according to Swiss is OK. Do you think we will make it? I am looking for the best advice on how to make it! Any thoughts as to what happens if we miss the connection, even if the first flight is on time?
If you miss the flight despite an on time arrival you shopped too long in duty free

You will make it. If not, LX needs to provide duty of care, rebooking, etc.. Please note that LX doesnt pay out EU261 without a heavy fight at least.

PS: Real Swiss Swissair stopped operating over a decade ago. The airline you will be flying is a 100% German (Lufthansa) owned airline. Please dont mix them up
Old Oct 3, 2017, 6:19 pm

40 Minute Connection in Zurich from Italy to EWR

If you miss the flight despite an on time arrival you shopped too long in duty free

You will make it. If not, LX needs to provide duty of care, rebooking, etc.. Please note that LX doesnt pay out EU261 without a heavy fight at least.

PS: Real Swiss Swissair stopped operating over a decade ago. The airline you will be flying is a 100% German (Lufthansa) owned airline. Please dont mix them up
Interesting to know! We are flying back from a vacation so if our luggage doesn't make it, No Problem. We just want to make sure we are not paying out of pocket for an overnight in Zurich which can be quite pricey! I am a United Gold so also Star Alliance Gold, I wonder if that wil help us? Thanks to all who respond, my fellow travelers are a bit scared that I am recommeding this itinerary instead of the one that the travel agency booked (a triple connection, not on a star alliance). Happy Travels.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
LX couldn't care less that you are UA Gold, but don't worry - as stated above LX will provide meal voucher and hotel if you misconnect due late incoming flight. But most likely no monetary compensation. If the incoming flight is on time and you nevertheless misconnect you are in trouble, so don't go taxfree shopping.

Anyway, most likely you will make that connection. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 12:13 pm

What if we miss a tight connection even though the flight arrives on time?

Originally Posted by SK AAR
LX couldn't care less that you are UA Gold, but don't worry - as stated above LX will provide meal voucher and hotel if you misconnect due late incoming flight. But most likely no monetary compensation. If the incoming flight is on time and you nevertheless misconnect you are in trouble, so don't go taxfree shopping.

Anyway, most likely you will make that connection. I wouldn't worry about it.
SO...just wondering what happens if the 40 minutes turns out not to be enough time, even if the first flight arrives on time. Some times it takes 15 minutes to get off the plane and then there are lines at Passport control. I assume we will need to pass through some sort of security in Zurich as we leave for the US? Also, we will probably be changing terminals as well. Any thoughts from the group here?
Old Oct 4, 2017, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by shemansl
SO...just wondering what happens if the 40 minutes turns out not to be enough time, even if the first flight arrives on time. Some times it takes 15 minutes to get off the plane and then there are lines at Passport control. I assume we will need to pass through some sort of security in Zurich as we leave for the US? Also, we will probably be changing terminals as well. Any thoughts from the group here?
No security

Immigration is fast (don't think US immigration, lol..)

Terminal change means 2min train ride

If your plane arrives on time, you make it. Full stop.
SK AAR likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, SQ KF Elite Gold, QR Gold, IB Plata, Hilton Honors Gold
You'll arrive clean at A, either at a Gate or Bus arrival. Small chance for Arriving at B (won't make a difference really)

Your flight to DXB will depart most probably from the E Gates (small chance for D Gates) - which you'll reach by following the signs.

You'll arrive clean and pass immigration before taking the Heidi train to E.

If you're having EU passports you're allowed to use the CH / EFTA / EU lanes, not really saving much time usually though.

1hr 15min is plenty of time for this connection and with departure from E Gates, you should have enough time for a quick lounge visit.
Hello! I have a similar connection coming up in ZRH and I’m wondering if the process will be like what’s described above?

Here are the details:
55 minute transit
From VIE, LX1583 (A340) arriving at 20:40
To CAI, LX238 (A320) departing at 21:35
Business Class

Also, are there any smoking areas along the way?

Cheers,

Marcelduchamp
Old Oct 23, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by marcelduchamp
Hello! I have a similar connection coming up in ZRH and I’m wondering if the process will be like what’s described above?

Here are the details:
55 minute transit
From VIE, LX1583 (A340) arriving at 20:40
To CAI, LX238 (A320) departing at 21:35
Business Class

Also, are there any smoking areas along the way?

Cheers,

Marcelduchamp
As always, it depends on the actual gates, but here is a likely scenario and an alternative.

Best case. Flying in from VIE you will normally arrive at A, but if there is an A343 scheduled then it will be B probably. For CAI the flight usually departs from D. If indeed B to D then it is a matter of going upstairs with a passport control. All in all 5 minutes under normal circumstances. Maybe 5 more if there is a queue at passport control.

Worst case. Change of equipment, arriving from VIE at an apron position. Bus to A (there is a separate bus for business class). Flight to CAI departs from E. Through passport control and the train to E. All in all 20 minutes. Arrival at the gate before boarding starts.

Smoking lounges are spread throughout the airport.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by MichielR
As always, it depends on the actual gates, but here is a likely scenario and an alternative.

Best case. Flying in from VIE you will normally arrive at A, but if there is an A343 scheduled then it will be B probably. For CAI the flight usually departs from D. If indeed B to D then it is a matter of going upstairs with a passport control. All in all 5 minutes under normal circumstances. Maybe 5 more if there is a queue at passport control.

Worst case. Change of equipment, arriving from VIE at an apron position. Bus to A (there is a separate bus for business class). Flight to CAI departs from E. Through passport control and the train to E. All in all 20 minutes. Arrival at the gate before boarding starts.

Smoking lounges are spread throughout the airport.
Hi MichielR,

Thanks for your reply. The inbound flight did indeed arrive at A. We arrived 10 minutes early. The airport was pretty empty and there was a Camel smoking lounge at the TOP of the escalators on the way to passport control. There was a fairly Long line but signage was much better than in VIE. Managed to drop by the D lounge for about ten minutes as the next flight was out of D33.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by marcelduchamp
Hi MichielR,

Thanks for your reply. The inbound flight did indeed arrive at A. We arrived 10 minutes early. The airport was pretty empty and there was a Camel smoking lounge at the TOP of the escalators on the way to passport control. There was a fairly Long line but signage was much better than in VIE. Managed to drop by the D lounge for about ten minutes as the next flight was out of D33.
Glad you made it, even though my reply was too late apparently.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by MichielR
Glad you made it, even though my reply was too late apparently.
No probs! Thanks anyway! 👍🏻
Old Oct 26, 2017, 5:53 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Hi,

i will I’ll be flying HAJ to ZRH on Helvetic and then connect to ZRH to EWR on Swiss. The connection time is 1:05h.
i remember Zurich as an easy airport but then I was going US to Germany so avoided the additional security flying to the US.
how do you see the above connection? Easy? Tight?
thx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.