Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in Zurich [ZRH]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2016, 9:24 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Thanks so much!

Thanks so much! Part of why were choosing this routing is that we've heard that Zürich is a relatively easy and friendly airport to transfer in.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 4:53 am

GOT-ZRH-BKK
1h 15m layover in ZRH

Should I even bother trying to visit the lounge with wife and infant in tow?

First time C in ZRH so would have been nice but I'm not going to risk anything.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by SocialAdept
GOT-ZRH-BKK
1h 15m layover in ZRH

Should I even bother trying to visit the lounge with wife and infant in tow?

First time C in ZRH so would have been nice but I'm not going to risk anything.
The lounge in Gate E is nearby your departure Gate - if your incoming flight is on time, you'll arrive there (even with infant) roughly 1hr before departure. More than enough time..
Old Dec 28, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, Global Entry early adopter
Last month, I did PRN-ZRH-SIN-SYD. I landed in ZRH at 22:00 and departed for SIN at 22:45. I felt pretty comfortable with this at the time because I didn't have any checked bags. Thank goodness that I didn't because we arrived late on the return back to ZRH (06:10 scheduled, 06:25 actual) and had to do the Home Alone run through the terminal to make the bus gate for PRN (06:50 scheduled).

Early next month, I'm going PRN-ZRH-NRT, arriving in ZRH on a WK operated flight at 11:55, leaving for NRT on LX160 at 13:00. The return is similarly tight (1 hr), arriving in ZRH at 15:50, and grabbing the WK-operated flight back to PRN at remote stand at 16:50. It doesn't appear that these regional segments on WK (LX 8403 and 8404) are in the MCT table in the wiki. I am interested to check in one bag (ski clothes take up a lot of space!). I'm tolerant to the idea of having to do a little running. But, I'm worried about how likely it is for my checked bag to misconnect in ZRH, especially when remote stands are involved. Thoughts appreciated.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 8:59 am

Normally nothing to worry about.
My bags always did it on 45 min. connections.
Practically no difference if they drive a bag to a remote stand or a gate position.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 10:18 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, Global Entry early adopter
Petz, thanks for your local insight.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 3:30 am

May I have your inputs on following connection:
Arriving on a Thursday with LX 1249 from ARN at 12.15 in the Schengen-Area with a connection time of 45 mins to board WK 2 to LAS, departing at 13.00 from E. The flights are on one ticket.
45 mins shouldnt be a problem in ZRH as its within the MCT.

Now the catch:
LX 1249 is often delayed by 20, 30 mins. I believe I should still be able to make it as Long as there is no extra long line at Passport COntrol and or the Heidi Bahn. However, in case we are even more delayed, lets say 40 mins or so, what chances do you guys see?

As a pax without status flying in Y, can I expect any special Treatment (car/fast track etc)? Not that I ask for, but i wonder if in cases were time is running out such special Treatment is also provided to Y Pax?

The connecting flight WK2 is a flight into the US. Do you believe this could be favorable to me as the extra security makes boarding slower?

Thx for your Inputs!
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by TrickMcDave
May I have your inputs on following connection:
Arriving on a Thursday with LX 1249 from ARN at 12.15 in the Schengen-Area with a connection time of 45 mins to board WK 2 to LAS, departing at 13.00 from E. The flights are on one ticket.
45 mins shouldnt be a problem in ZRH as its within the MCT.

Now the catch:
LX 1249 is often delayed by 20, 30 mins. I believe I should still be able to make it as Long as there is no extra long line at Passport COntrol and or the Heidi Bahn. However, in case we are even more delayed, lets say 40 mins or so, what chances do you guys see?

As a pax without status flying in Y, can I expect any special Treatment (car/fast track etc)? Not that I ask for, but i wonder if in cases were time is running out such special Treatment is also provided to Y Pax?

The connecting flight WK2 is a flight into the US. Do you believe this could be favorable to me as the extra security makes boarding slower?

Thx for your Inputs!
Bump.
Could anyone please share its experience whether there was any assistance for Y pax to make the connection (same ticket, Swiss Stock)? LX1249 is delayed on regular basis, so I'm kinda worried that I will not make it. I have no problem running through ZRH, this however, won't help with just 5, 10 mins connection time.

I assume boarding for WK2 with departure at 1 pm starts around 12.15 pm. Does anybody know when the gate closing time is and whether they keep the gate open for inbound transit pax?

Missing that flight would be painful as the other connections that day are burdensome as compared to WK2 (which only flies again 3 days later) and a group of friends is on that plane.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 6:04 am

ZRH usually tries to wait for connecting pax a little while - however, if they deem your connection as "impossible", they might start a rebooking process automatically (in which case they won't wait for you) - especially if the flight happened to be overbooked

What does it mean to you? Well, let's assume you manage to get off the aircraft as 12.30 (ie, 15min late) - at an average remote Gate in ZRH (A73 or so..) - you'll have roughly 5min to passport control (if you run, you can cut it to 3min) and at 12.30 the lunch rush hour (for several big aircrafts leaving the E gates around 1am) should be cleared already. Close to no waiting time most probably, and 5min (incl a bit of wait) to E by Heidi.

That would mean you reach the E Gates around 12.40.

Take the elevator up (since US departures are on the other side the escalators will bring you towards imho) and you should be at the Gate around 12.45. That means steady, fast walking, but 15min prior to departure should mean the Gate just about to close. If your luggage makes it is another question..

So, in short, 15min delay and you can still expect to make it when you move fast. Anything above that, and it's down to luck if they keep the flight or not.

Anything above 30min delay, and your name has to be Gustav Gans to make it

Direct transfer (Ramp transfer) imho can happen in ZRH, but I wouldn't bet on it. Plus if you only get off your aircraft 15min prior to departure, might be called "too close" by airport staff to offer it.

Of course, there could be a HON on the same connection, they could decide to offer a direct ride (and include you), or anything else, but that would be down to luck.

I'd keep my thumbs pressed for any delay <15min, and alternatively have some other options available to show at the transfer counter in case you hit too much delay.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 6:23 am

Thanks! Even though my name is not Gustav Gans, it's not Donald Duck either;-)
I consider myself a little bit more lucky than the average, so maybe it all works out fine...

I hope the delays (20, 30 mins) I see right now on FlightRadar etc. for the last seven to 15 days, will be gone as soon as spring starts (flight is in end of april). No de-icing or similiar "winter-caused" delays could help to be on-time or within 15mins.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Hello.

If I arrive at ZRH from LHR and fly onwards ZRH to a USA city, will there be another security check at ZRH? I imagine also that no passport control will be required.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
Hello.

If I arrive at ZRH from LHR and fly onwards ZRH to a USA city, will there be another security check at ZRH? I imagine also that no passport control will be required.
If you arrive "clean" at B and transfer to E (which will be most probably your case) you can choose between either staying Non-Schengen and having a security check, or going the longer way via Schengen, and having both immigration into and out of Schengen on the way.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, IHG plat, DB Comfort, SPG gold
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
If you arrive "clean" at B and transfer to E (which will be most probably your case) you can choose between either staying Non-Schengen and having a security check, or going the longer way via Schengen, and having both immigration into and out of Schengen on the way.
Question is whether the OP might also be refering to an additional security check at the gate. I remember the handling agents pushing around privacy screens in concourse E..
Old Feb 18, 2017, 7:49 am

Zurich layover 1 hr enough?

Hi, I plan to fly LX 139 from HKG with connection in ZRH to Copenhagen on LX1266.

The airline said layover is 1 hr. May I ask if this "doable" despite it's within the parameters of LX?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old Feb 18, 2017, 8:01 am

Very doable if your inbound is not more than 20 mi late. Worst case they put you on a later flight or a connection via FRA or MUC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.