Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in Zurich [ZRH]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2016, 2:53 pm

Programs: LH FTL, GHA Platinum
1h50 A-->E-->D?

Hello, I will be arriving to ZRH at one of the A gates and afterwards I will take the flight from gate in D, in business class. The connection time is 1h50, do you think it's reasonable to go to the new lounge in terminal E and than go back to the D gates? I prefer by a lot the business lounge in E rather than the one in A, that's why I would like to spend my time in the E lounge. Does anyone know how long approximatively does it take to pass from the lounge in E terminal to one of the D gates? Thank you!
Old Aug 28, 2016, 3:50 pm

I've done that (with YuropFlyer) and it took us about 10-15 minutes from deciding "we should probably head out now", to being at D gates (after passing border control twice).
Old Aug 29, 2016, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by klausa
I've done that (with YuropFlyer) and it took us about 10-15 minutes from deciding "we should probably head out now", to being at D gates (after passing border control twice).
Indeed. It's a reasonable short treck, and unless you're doing it in the middle of one of the arriving "waves" when some aircrafts land at E at near the same time, you're not expecting any queues to do so.

I'd say leave the E Gate Lounge 45min before departure will be plenty.

Going via the unclean (but no passport checks) way could be even slightly faster (but well, no one likes security checks) but we're talking about differences of minutes, if not seconds.

When your flight departs 5pm, leave the lounge at 4.15pm and you should be good (roughly when it displays "Go to Gate" or a bit earlier)

That said, 1hr50min will give you "just enough" time in the E lounge. When you arrive clean in A, it will take you about 10-15min to the E lounge, so timely arrival expecting, you should have about 45min to spend there before heading out again. Just enough (plus burning those extra calories will allow you some more food ) time I guess, and you don't seem to mind the trek for it, so I say go for it.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 2:34 am

Programs: LH FTL, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Indeed. It's a reasonable short treck, and unless you're doing it in the middle of one of the arriving "waves" when some aircrafts land at E at near the same time, you're not expecting any queues to do so.

I'd say leave the E Gate Lounge 45min before departure will be plenty.

Going via the unclean (but no passport checks) way could be even slightly faster (but well, no one likes security checks) but we're talking about differences of minutes, if not seconds.

When your flight departs 5pm, leave the lounge at 4.15pm and you should be good (roughly when it displays "Go to Gate" or a bit earlier)

That said, 1hr50min will give you "just enough" time in the E lounge. When you arrive clean in A, it will take you about 10-15min to the E lounge, so timely arrival expecting, you should have about 45min to spend there before heading out again. Just enough (plus burning those extra calories will allow you some more food ) time I guess, and you don't seem to mind the trek for it, so I say go for it.
Perfect! Thanks, I will go for it, 45 minutes in the lounge is more than sufficient
Old Sep 4, 2016, 1:47 pm

Programs: Avios, Emirates Skywards
MAN to MALTA VIA ZRH

Hello

I am booked on the following flights. The connection appears very tight, only 1 hour 5 mins, does anyone know what the airline would likely do if the connection was missed in Zurich?

thanks

Manchester
MAN 13:45
Terminal 1
Zurich
ZRH 16:35
1h 50m
627 mi
Swiss International Air Lines 395
Economy/Coach (T)
Airbus A320 | Snack
Stopover: 1h 5m

This flight operated by Swiss International Air Lines
Zurich
ZRH 17:40
Luqa
MLA 20:00
2h 20m
858 mi
Swiss International Air Lines 4370 Operated by Air Malta
Old Sep 4, 2016, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by skyscan
Hello

I am booked on the following flights. The connection appears very tight, only 1 hour 5 mins, does anyone know what the airline would likely do if the connection was missed in Zurich?

thanks

Manchester
MAN 13:45
Terminal 1
Zurich
ZRH 16:35
1h 50m
627 mi
Swiss International Air Lines 395
Economy/Coach (T)
Airbus A320 | Snack
Stopover: 1h 5m

This flight operated by Swiss International Air Lines
Zurich
ZRH 17:40
Luqa
MLA 20:00
2h 20m
858 mi
Swiss International Air Lines 4370 Operated by Air Malta
1h05 is easy in ZRH.
Assuming both flights are on one ticket: If your inbound is very late and you miss your flight, they will put you another flight to MLA, either via somewhere else if possible or the next day (which is here more likely).
Old Sep 4, 2016, 2:06 pm

thanks for your message, they are on one ticket, if they put us on a flight the following date, would you know if they would pay for a hotel in Zurich?
Old Sep 4, 2016, 2:23 pm

They will, but do not worry too much.

ZRH airport is often holding flights for 10-15 min. for connecting pax or you may get a ramp transfer if it is getting very tight.

You will probably arrive at D; your flight to MLA normally departs from B (which is the same concourse than D) or from A (which is another concourse but only separated from B/D by the airside center. You normally will have to pass security screening and passport control which are pretty fast in ZRH.

As usual, just follow the signs.

maps:
https://www.zurich-airport.com/passe...-en/site-plans
Old Sep 4, 2016, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by PetzLUX
They will, but do not worry too much.

ZRH airport is often holding flights for 10-15 min. for connecting pax or you may get a ramp transfer if it is getting very tight.

You will probably arrive at D; your flight to MLA normally departs from B (which is the same concourse than D) or from A (which is another concourse but only separated from B/D by the airside center. You normally will have to pass security screening and passport control which are pretty fast in ZRH.

As usual, just follow the signs.

maps:
https://www.zurich-airport.com/passe...-en/site-plans
thanks for the help
Old Sep 4, 2016, 4:10 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PetzLUX
Arrivals from the UK do not need to go through security screening if connecting from A or B/D. If flying from MAN to MLA the OP will only need to clear passport control in ZRH.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Arrivals from the UK do not need to go through security screening if connecting from A or B/D. If flying from MAN to MLA the OP will only need to clear passport control in ZRH.
You're right. All my transfers D -> A/B were with security, but I cannot recall any UK arrival now.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 11:24 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Worried about a short connection

Flying on Swiss from FLR to ZRH -scheduled arrival at 16:00 pm. Then to a 17:15 flight from ZRH to EWR. An hour and 15 minutes seems insane, but Swiss sold the ticket so I guess they think it's do-able. But in reality, is it? Will I need to get my checked baggage and go through customs in Zurich, or do I only have to go through immigration? There is no other Swiss flight back to EWR that day, so if I miss this connection, I'm stuck for another day.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
no problem to connect in ZRH in 75 minutes - I think minimum connecting time is only 30 minutes. Your checked luggage will be all through to EWR and you will just pass immigration leaving Schengen Area.

FLR sometimes can be a problem - a bit of wind and the flights get cancelled.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
75 min is plenty of time for a connection at ZRH. You will even have time to visit/have a rest at the lounge. Your incoming flight needs to be seriously delayed for you to misconnect with 75 min between flights. Don't worry.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 5:10 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Thanks appenzeller and SK AAR. You've eased my mind!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.