Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Which Starwood hotel in New York City NYC ? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Starwood hotel in New York City NYC ? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2013, 12:14 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Southwest Rapid Rewards A-List, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by yucci18
I am planning to go to New York on NYE... Since I will be using points and the platinum 35% off. Which hotel should I pick during that period? Cat 7 is out....
I'd stay somewhere on Times Square. However, I'd imagine it's pretty hectic around that area on NYE.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: Delta Silver, United 2P, SQ, SPG Plat, PC Plat AMB, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by redanman

That said:

All the SPG properties in my experience are better than all the other chains & several luxury models as far as the attacking tip-seeking staff. Absolute worst is W-A - avoid at all costs unless you have a convention, even then consider the W Lex, consider paying up to $40 -50 more for the W across the street.

Will gladly answer questions if I can, staying at new Chatwal (Luxury Collection) next visit.
Really? Better than all the others? I recently stayed at the Andaz 5th Ave which was one of the best stays I have ever had in NYC, bested only by the incredible suite we had at the IC Times Square. I have stayed at the W lex before and will never again, luckily it was a freebie. I think with NYC it really is a hit or miss thing. My sister insists on staying at the Westin TS, while we favour either IC TS or Hyatt.

Would love to hear about your Chatwal stay.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 5:02 pm

Programs: QF SG
Originally Posted by CanuckinKL
Really? Better than all the others? I recently stayed at the Andaz 5th Ave which was one of the best stays I have ever had in NYC, bested only by the incredible suite we had at the IC Times Square. I have stayed at the W lex before and will never again, luckily it was a freebie. I think with NYC it really is a hit or miss thing. My sister insists on staying at the Westin TS, while we favour either IC TS or Hyatt.

Would love to hear about your Chatwal stay.
as far as the attacking tip-seeking staff.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
I'm heading back to NYC for another 3-4 weeks and looking for ideas of where to stay. I normally stay at the Element, but I'm thinking of trying something different, at least for a week or two. I take the A train to the office, so I prefer being on the west side of Manhattan. I hate tiny and old rooms.

Budget wise, all the Ws, Westins, Sheratons and 4Ps are OK. StRegis, Meridien and Chatwal are too expensive.

I'm thinking of trying out the W Times Square (I like Ws) or the Westin Times Square (it's cheap for my dates). Any other suggestions?
Old Apr 16, 2014, 7:09 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
I'm heading back to NYC for another 3-4 weeks and looking for ideas of where to stay. I normally stay at the Element, but I'm thinking of trying something different, at least for a week or two. I take the A train to the office, so I prefer being on the west side of Manhattan. I hate tiny and old rooms.

Budget wise, all the Ws, Westins, Sheratons and 4Ps are OK. StRegis, Meridien and Chatwal are too expensive.

I'm thinking of trying out the W Times Square (I like Ws) or the Westin Times Square (it's cheap for my dates). Any other suggestions?
I just returned from four nights at The Westin Times Square. It was a flawless stay. If you can, try to get a Deluxe Corner room. Very nice!
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I also liked the Westin very much, but I've got a question for you about the Element...are the elevators as slow/annoying as I've read?
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I also liked the Westin very much, but I've got a question for you about the Element...are the elevators as slow/annoying as I've read?
I don't consider it to be a problem. As SPG gold/platinum, you end up on the higher floors. I would not want to be below 15 or so, as the elevators can be full going down and then you have to wait another cycle. Lowest I've ended up on is 25 for a few nights, before switching to high 30s.

It can be a bit slow (3-5 min wait) in the morning rush hour, when everyone is heading down for breakfast. The rest of the time it's normally fine.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:30 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn

I'm not sure the location would work for you but I had a great recent stay at the W Union Square. They gave me some form of upgraded room with a view of the square, and it was quite nice.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by Maykita
I'm not sure the location would work for you but I had a great recent stay at the W Union Square. They gave me some form of upgraded room with a view of the square, and it was quite nice.
Yeah, the W Union Square could work. Thanks!
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:33 am

I was looking at the Westin Grand Central as a different location from our last stay at the Westin Times Square, and I noticed something (to me) interesting...Westin always touts completely non-smoking, clean air, etc...yet the WGC is pet friendly. Am I the only one who finds that odd? For someone with breathing issues, someone's else's dog dander can be an issue.

I looked to see if there was a way to find out quickly which hotels are/are not pet friendly, is there a shortcut? A check-off box or something for pet-friendly?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I was looking at the Westin Grand Central as a different location from our last stay at the Westin Times Square, and I noticed something (to me) interesting...Westin always touts completely non-smoking, clean air, etc...yet the WGC is pet friendly. Am I the only one who finds that odd? For someone with breathing issues, someone's else's dog dander can be an issue.

I looked to see if there was a way to find out quickly which hotels are/are not pet friendly, is there a shortcut? A check-off box or something for pet-friendly?
Slightly off topic, but if you search on spg.com, there are tickboxes on the right side. One of them is pet friendly. Seems to be most of them (27/34) for NYC.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 3:21 am

Programs: SPG Plat 100, A3*G
Looking for a hotel in NYC for 8 days in end of June...

Something with a good location, nice room views of NYC and good Platinum treatment. I don't have enough SNAs for the entire stay though...

Currently looking at:
1. Element at about 1600€
2. Parker Meridien at about 2000€
3. W Times Square at about 2000€
4. Chatwal is a bit too expensive at 3000+€

The benefit of the first two is that they didn't opt-out of the newest promotion (triple points) but the W seems to have the best location, which I'm sure my wife would really like.

What do you think?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:17 am

Programs: bonvoy lifetime titanium, not much else anymore
Originally Posted by zagy
Looking for a hotel in NYC for 8 days in end of June...

Something with a good location, nice room views of NYC and good Platinum treatment. I don't have enough SNAs for the entire stay though...

Currently looking at:
1. Element at about 1600€
2. Parker Meridien at about 2000€
3. W Times Square at about 2000€
4. Chatwal is a bit too expensive at 3000+€

The benefit of the first two is that they didn't opt-out of the newest promotion (triple points) but the W seems to have the best location, which I'm sure my wife would really like.

What do you think?
le meridien is much nicer than the W times square - unless you are looking for the loud noises and bright lights.

if you want to stay at a W and dont care about the new promo, go with the W Union Sq
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
Originally Posted by boognish24
le meridien is much nicer than the W times square - unless you are looking for the loud noises and bright lights.

if you want to stay at a W and dont care about the new promo, go with the W Union Sq
+1. The Times Square location can get tiresome after the first 30 minutes. The Le Meridien is close enough that you can walk to Times Square if you wish (~10 min) but is in a much quieter and nicer neighborhood close to Central Park. The hotel itself is iffy with regards to Platinum treatment, but the location is wonderful, in my view.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:07 am

Flyerbjorn, thanks for the tick-box info - I had been looking for it. For some reason it does not show up automatically when I get a list of hotels. I had to search around, found it at Hotel Directory (rather than the more logical search by interest (interested in having pet-free ), but when I did check on Hotel Directory I had to input location all over again. Not a big deal especially now that I know how to find it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.