Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, Waikiki/Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, Waikiki/Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2007, 1:13 pm

Programs: Marriott plat, DL Diamond
Sheraton Princess Kaiulani - Honolulu

I read what has been posted (some dated). Given the points I have and need for 2 rooms, I will be selecting this hotel for two nights while in Honolulu. I presume that's a glass 3/4 or 1/2 full... We've not been to Honolulu and given that we will be going to Kona following, will most likely spend most of the time on the beach and touring.

That said, if you have some good things to say about the property and location I would appreciate your input.. Should we request high floor? special wing? Good deals nearby for breakfast, etc...

Thanks for staying positive...
Old Mar 4, 2007, 2:08 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
I wrote a review just two months ago with pictures:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=633386

Another recent thread in the milagerun forum as well:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=664947
Old Aug 3, 2007, 12:32 am

Renovations

Appears that big changes will be coming, although have no idea on timing. From what I can gather, the owner will:

Demolish the two lower towers of the Princess Kaiulani (Princess and Kaiulani wings), but the completely renovated guest rooms in the Ainahau Tower, would remain a free-standing Sheraton hotel. The demolished towers would be replaced with one taller tower and shorter retail buildings.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 8:26 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
This article gives a little more detail on proposed renovations on Starwood Waikiki props (and others too). We've been hearing about these for a while--it will be nice to see them finally get moving. While the improvements will be welcome, I can imagine what this will do to the already pricy room rates.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...38/1001/NEWS01

Waikiki hotels part of $750M upgrade

The iconic Royal Hawaiian Hotel will soon have a new entrance, a "fantasy swimming pool" complex to share with the Sheraton Waikiki and extensive room upgrades as a wave of hotel renovations continues.

Kyoya Management Co. Ltd. is investing heavily in those two hotels and its two other Waikiki properties: the Moana Surfrider and the Princess Kaiulani.

The $750 million investment includes:

$110 million for Royal Hawaiian guest rooms and grounds;

$80 million for Sheraton Waikiki rooms, corridors, suites and elevators;

Tens of millions to rebrand the Moana; and

Demolishing two lower towers of the Princess Kaiulani, replacing them with one taller tower and shorter retail buildings.

The four Kyoya properties include more than 4,100 rooms on 21 acres, much of it beachfront. Ernest Nishizaki, executive vice president and chief operating officer of Kyoya, said work on the project will continue at least through 2011.

Kyoya's project comes amid a boom in hotel renovation in Hawai'i with more than a dozen major projects in the pipeline or recently completed.

The wave of renovations can be traced to a number of factors and includes a recent focus on more quality visitors instead of quantity, said Murray Towill, president of the Hawai'i Hotel & Lodging Association.

There is also the competition from other warm-weather vacation destinations such as Mexico, Thailand and the Caribbean.

Having enjoyed record-setting hotel bookings with occupancy that averaged above 70 percent statewide, the companies have the money to spend on reinvestment.

"Given the success of recent years, people have more resources to be able to make re-investment," Towill said.

PEER PRESSURE

Hotels are also under pressure to improve when competitors a few doors down invest tens of millions to renovate. "When one company does it, more need to," Towill said.

But Towill sees it as much demanded by customers, who want to do more things, explore new food, destinations and culture. "You have to continually improve your product," he said.

A big change for the Royal Hawaiian will be a new entrance visible from Kalakaua Avenue. The current entrance is tucked off to the side of the Sheraton entrance with a left turn that leaves drivers uneasy about whether they're driving where they should. The vintage porte cochere clogs easily with cab and car traffic.

The area surrounding the old entrance will be turned into a grass lawn with a lanai or stage. The new entrance would appear on the other side of the hotel, leaving the buildings intact.

Kyoya's Nishizaki has a long history with the Royal Hawaiian. He first showed up regularly at the pink palace landmark in 1966 when he worked as a busboy in the Monarch Room. Walking the grounds, he calls many of the employees by name, checking in with them one moment and shaking a guest's hand the next.

While he welcomes the new "improved" resort, he values the history: "It will always be called The Royal Hawaiian Hotel," he said. "Nothing is going to be taken down."

Greg Dickhens, Kyoya executive vice president and senior adviser, points to changes at the Sheraton Waikiki that include redoing the entire front and pulling the front desk up where it's accessible from the entrance rather than hidden in the center of a retail area.

Many recent hotel renovations feature extensive spas that offer massages and facials and other pampering. They spotlight fitness centers. They add new restaurants, flat-screen TVs and wireless Internet.

Marriott will have spent close to $200 million over a three-year period on properties across the state and expects to spend more, said Ed Hubennette, Marriott International's vice president for Japan, Hawai'i and the South Pacific.

"We've been very successful for several years," Hubennette said.

His company just spent $50 million at the Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa on the Big Island of Hawai'i and $78 million at Wailea on Maui and plans to spend $40 million on the Kaua'i Marriott next year, $18 million on the JW Marriott at Ko Olina and $25 million on the rooms at the Waikiki Marriott, he said.

Hubennette called from the Kohala Coast resort to talk about the changes in style in hotels.

"It's kind of the Pottery Barn/Crate & Barrel phenomenon," he said. Travelers who spend time and money to have designer kitchens at home will expect luxury.

COMFIER, CLEANER LOOK

While lobbies of old were more formal with limited seating, that model is disappearing. Hubennette said the renovations feature comfortable seating in areas that "you can hang out in, use your computer, read a book, get a coffee."

Waikoloa general manager Rodney Ito said the new look is cleaner. "You don't see the traditional floral prints everywhere. It won't take away from nature," Ito said. "The view will be the attraction."

Hubennette agrees that the wave of renovations is natural after years of boom and a smart business move in light of increased competition.

"We really compete with the world as a product," Hubennette said. "Even though we have a very unique environment that doesn't exist anywhere else, we've got a culture that doesn't exist anywhere else and things that nobody can ever replicate or buy."
Old Aug 19, 2007, 9:06 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Exclamation Do not be misled by "hawaii smoke-free ordinance" excuse!

When I booked this hotel over the phone with a res agent, I requested a non-smoking room.. and was informed by the agent that, due to the Hawaii smoke-free ordinance, the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani is "a smoke-free hotel". I was initially surprised and she re-confirmed her statement that "there was no smoking allowed in the Sheraton Kaiulani".

This is not true; there are still smoking rooms at this hotel. In fact, despite my request, we still ended up with a "smoking" room. Do not be misled!

Will definitely be booking with the Moana Surfrider next time.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 8:56 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by izzik
...Will definitely be booking with the Moana Surfrider next time.
But, but...the Moana Surfrider is now a Westin-branded property and all Westins in North America are smoke-free.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Aug 20, 2007, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Hey mods, why does the "master thread" for the Kaiulani start with a whine?

Shouldn't it be something more instructive?

---

Oh wait, I just answered my own question.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 3:10 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

what can I say - I'd rather book a sure thing.

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
But, but...the Moana Surfrider is now a Westin-branded property and all Westins in North America are smoke-free.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Aug 20, 2007, 4:58 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Originally Posted by notsosmart
Hey mods, why does the "master thread" for the Kaiulani start with a whine?

Shouldn't it be something more instructive?

---

Oh wait, I just answered my own question.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA,SPG,HH,BA,Hawaiian
Rooms at Princess Kaiulani

We need to stay overnight in Waikiki for an early morning event. I have stayed at the Princess Kaiulane before and had a horrible time. Mostly there was so little sound proofing that I could hear the children on one side and the newlyweds on the other and the bed was very uncomfortable.

The hotel now offeres rooms with the sweet sleeper bed, but I want to know if these rooms are better sound proofed and/or renovated.

I also have a room at the Royal Hawaiian.

Thanks,
Old Oct 25, 2007, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
They may have replaced some beds. They haven't replaced the walls. If you want assured quiet, stay at the Royal. Before they close for renovation next June. It's old and dumpy in my opinion, but more quiet.

Aloha
Old Oct 25, 2007, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Nope, rooms are no better soundproofed. Personally, this is a great hotel (IMHO) for the $$$/points but it is nowhere near the best SPG on Waikiki. I use it for the convenience and value, but it could definitely use some upkeep.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 6:27 pm

Programs: DL FO
I stayed at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani for three nights last week. My plane was about 5 hours late and I checked in at about 02:30 in the morning. I was given a room that far exceeded my expectations #2754. The view was outstanding for the price that I paid. I was able to see the surfers and the beach. I was expecting to get a rat trap for checking in so late. On my last day I requested a late checkout and they let me stay until 4:30 pm. The food at the buffet was IMO very good and comperable to what is served on cruise ships. The pool area was very nice and not overcrowded. The maid service was very good, so good in fact I found myself tipping and I generally don't tip.

I had a great time and maybe didn't expect much, but now I am wondering just how much better the other Starwood hotels at Wiakiki are since I was so happy with this one.

Form other posts that I have read on here I was suprised that they were so good to me as I am only a Gold SPG (The free gold from Delta Airlines at that)
Old Dec 11, 2007, 3:42 pm

Programs: Delta GM +MM; SPG LT Plat; Hyatt Diamond
[QUOTE=trekkie;6972911]i was at sheraton princess kaiulani for one night 1/6 to1/7. stay was booked using points. upon check-in, was told taht i was upgraded to ocean view room which really is just a partial ocean room view even at the corner of XX60 rooms. i was rather displeased to find out later at 6 pm that i was on a smoking floor and even then only after i smelt smoke. when i enquired, i was told yes i was put on a smoking floor and that i had booked a smoking floor which wasn't true.

--same thing happened to me, but - thanks to this post - I was I able to call the plat concierge who had no problem booking me into a c&p non-smoking room. despite a few bumps at check in (due to human srror and quickly remedied) seems to be clean and, if not luxe, perfectly sufficient for the money.
Note to any starwood lookie-loos - this hotel is fine in the $100-150 or cat 3 range, but any more and it would be a severe rip-off.

editing to add: ok, I made a mistake and I'll admit it - this hotel was dirty and, while the staff was nice, seemed unable or unaware of basic hotel functions. I don't want to go into the details, but I was checked into the wrong room, I found out my sheets weren't changed when I developed an eye problem (yuck,) and I was told I would need to "protect my plate" from the hungry birds around the buffet. That's not a joke! The place is not obviously dirty and run down at first, but it is not thoroughly clean or properly run. Avoid and pony up the extra points or money to stay elsewhere, unless you're doing a short overnight.

Last edited by monoflight; Dec 24, 2007 at 11:45 pm
Old Dec 11, 2007, 9:28 pm

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
[QUOTE=monoflight;8878612]
Originally Posted by trekkie
i was at sheraton princess kaiulani for one night 1/6 to1/7. stay was booked using points. upon check-in, was told taht i was upgraded to ocean view room which really is just a partial ocean room view even at the corner of XX60 rooms. i was rather displeased to find out later at 6 pm that i was on a smoking floor and even then only after i smelt smoke. when i enquired, i was told yes i was put on a smoking floor and that i had booked a smoking floor which wasn't true.

--same thing happened to me, but - thanks to this post - I was I able to call the plat concierge who had no problem booking me into a c&p non-smoking room. despite a few bumps at check in (due to human srror and quickly remedied) seems to be clean and, if not luxe, perfectly sufficient for the money.
Note to any starwood lookie-loos - this hotel is fine in the $100-150 or cat 3 range, but any more and it would be a severe rip-off.
Thanks to all the posters! I am just booking a last minute trip for Christmas week and this hotel is available (though very full) with points and cash. After reading these posts I realize I would probably not be happy here and will not subject either them or me to the experience .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.