Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, Waikiki/Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, Waikiki/Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2009, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by adam34space
The total amount that the room will cost me if I dont use points and get a ocean view room will be around $700 for 5 nights. If I use C&P it will be 14,000 points and $225 out of pocket. What is the value of 14,000 points? More than $475?
It's not quite that simple. If you use C&P, you're also missing the opportunity to earn 6000 points (if you're Gold or higher and use SPG Amex, including the 500/night bonus). 20,000 points difference vs. $475 difference is about 2.4 cents per point.

But are you comparing apples to apples? Do you get ocean view with C&P? I don't think so.

Does ocean view really matter with PK? You're a block from the ocean and there are other hotels in the way. I would recommend the $98 AAA rate, if it's available for your nights.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 7:24 am

We stayed at PK on C&P in Jan. 2008 and were extremely disappointed. We paid $40/night for an "upgrade" to a city view still in Ka'iulani wing - the rooms there are quite spartan and have more of a dorm room feeling to them as opposed to a hotel room. Certainly not worthy of the "Sheraton" name in my opinion.

Originally Posted by adam34space
I stayed at PK in March 2008 on a C&P stay as a gold member. When I arrived I was given a room on the tower to the right of the check in counter (Ka'lulani King, city view). I went to the room and it was very bad. I went downstairs to complain and the older lady at the SPG counter took at a map of the hotel towers and proceeded to tell me that the C&P stay is for a standard room and that she already upgraded me to a city view room. I told her the room was very poor and if they had anything else. She finally gave me a parital ocean view, which was way better. I did have to complain alot but I did get a better room in the end. I have a stay coming up in March 2009 for 5 nights and I was thinking about booking with C&P again. What would be the best way to go so that I can get at least a partial ocean view room? Should I pay for the first night on a ocean view rate and see if the rest of the nights I can keep that room? Will my gold status do anything?
Old Jan 8, 2009, 11:00 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Opposite for me...but I've never stayed more than 2 nights..

..at this property as OAHU is my least favorite island and I use this hotel as an overnight as my flight usually arrives too late for the InterIsland flights.
I have always been u/g'd to a corner suite with a great view of the water and diamond head. But this may because of how short the stay is. This hotel is rather pedestrian, but for its location I think its reasonably priced.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by MichaelColey
It's not quite that simple. If you use C&P, you're also missing the opportunity to earn 6000 points (if you're Gold or higher and use SPG Amex, including the 500/night bonus). 20,000 points difference vs. $475 difference is about 2.4 cents per point.

But are you comparing apples to apples? Do you get ocean view with C&P? I don't think so.

Does ocean view really matter with PK? You're a block from the ocean and there are other hotels in the way. I would recommend the $98 AAA rate, if it's available for your nights.

Your right, I dont get an ocean view with C&P but I guess my overall point is that I really dont want a Standard or City View Room because they are in the old tower which I refuse to stay in. The C&P is a good deal but only if I can get at least a partial ocean view room which is located in the higher tower. If I were to pay, I would pay the $125 for partial ocean view because then Im guaranteed a room in the decent tower.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Do Plats get any benefits here? There doesnt appear to be a lounge...but do any hotels on Waikiki have one? Is there a place for free wifi anywhere on the property?
Old Jan 21, 2009, 4:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
We stayed at this hotel this past weekend. They double-upgraded us (Gold) to a corner room in the new tower with an ocean view. We also had free net access, but didn't have a computer so that didn't really matter. The rooms were not luxurious, but for the $98 price, we're not complaining. It was also nice on Saturday when they had someone in the lobby slicing fresh pineapple for us.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Also had 2 stays last (MLK holiday) weekend

As a lowly Corp Pref Plus, I was given a room in the Princess Wing (Room 1002) that had a partial ocean view.

The room looked out directly on the Surfrider and was a bit dated but for $98.00 and the low expectations provided by this thread, I wasn't disappointed.

Actually, I was pleasantly surprised to be offered complimentary coffee (room) service. ^

My next stay, 2 days later, found me in the new Tower (Room 856). This room also had a partial ocean view but was certainly more updated and even had a flat panel TV.

Odd thing was my that from this room, my laptop couldn't pick up the Sheraton WIFI signal. Instead, I was able to pick up the TMobile signal from the Hyatt and bought their $5 day pass

Next week I have another stay and will be a Gold by then I'm interested to see what if anything will be different.

Last edited by bk3day; Jan 21, 2009 at 7:12 pm
Old Jan 22, 2009, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
We stayed at this hotel this past weekend. They double-upgraded us (Gold) to a corner room in the new tower with an ocean view. We also had free net access, but didn't have a computer so that didn't really matter. The rooms were not luxurious, but for the $98 price, we're not complaining. It was also nice on Saturday when they had someone in the lobby slicing fresh pineapple for us.
how'd you get free internet access? was that part of the rate?
Old Jan 22, 2009, 7:41 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by karenkay
how'd you get free internet access? was that part of the rate?
They told us at checkin that was part of the upgrade package.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
at the princess now, in a perfectly lovely suite on the top floor (free internet--thanks mahasamatman for giving me the idea to ask--was included in the upgrade package). we have the 'b' view, i guess, so city and ocean (and sunset) rather than diamond head, but for $98 it's a very good deal and we're quite pleased.

(to be clear, it's nowhere near a fabulous suite...but it's appropriate to the hotel, and a great deal for the price.)

thank you, flyertalk, i sure do like being a plat.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 5:17 am
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
If this thread is the master thread for Princess Kaiulani, the title "Poor Hotel" seems to be not really appropriate.
Not many members read all the posts, and they see the title as the first impression.

I also think this hotel is very reasonable as the budget waikiki hotel.
I am not sure they shall have Sheraton name or not.
Maybe, Four point sheraton Princess Kaiulani could be more suitable.

Anyway, Is this Poor Hotel? I do not think so.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 5:35 am

Programs: UA LT 1K HYglob Marr LT Titanium
I have to agree with the above poster.

The PK has always been more than generous with Plat. upgrades and doing there best to find you the best availiable room.

We're all aware it's not a 5*,but either are there prices.

You get what you pay for.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
People are talking about the ugprade package including free Internet access. Is this an upgrade only to suites or all Plat upgrades? I can access the T-Mobile wifi from the balcony since Im looking straight at the Hyatt, but it is very weak.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Is this an upgrade only to suites or all Plat upgrades?
I'm Gold, and it wasn't a suite that we got.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I'm Gold, and it wasn't a suite that we got.
Am staying there now, and when I called down to ask if my Plat upgrade included free Internet they said it is only when you pay for the upgrade. Any experience on if she was misinformed or if this is a new policy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.