Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, Waikiki/Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, Waikiki/Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2007, 5:39 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriot Platinum
The PK is a dump and IMHO probably one of the worst SPG properties in a resort area. It is obviously Starwood's "lower cost" alternative to staying in the islands and still earning SPG points. Unaware of this three years ago on a quick trip to HI, I booked my fiance and I into the PK on a great rate and 5th night free promo. Unfortunately, after a miserable night at the hotel, changing rooms and finding out their pool was closed with no alternative and being lied to by a rather foolish manager, I was moved to the Moana Surfrider at no extra-charge and had a fantastic trip.

At all costs, I would avoid the PK like the plague. Poor staff, poor rooms, poor food and just a poor hotel that is a disgrace to the Starwood family. They should dump this hotel off to Motel 8 or Super 8, because it probably fits in better with their category of hotels.

To the OP, fight-on... it is time Starwood has to pay for having such a lousy hotel in its chain.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 6:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GoCanes
The PK is a dump and IMHO probably one of the worst SPG properties in a resort area. It is obviously Starwood's "lower cost" alternative to staying in the islands and still earning SPG points. Unaware of this three years ago on a quick trip to HI, I booked my fiance and I into the PK on a great rate and 5th night free promo. Unfortunately, after a miserable night at the hotel, changing rooms and finding out their pool was closed with no alternative and being lied to by a rather foolish manager, I was moved to the Moana Surfrider at no extra-charge and had a fantastic trip.

At all costs, I would avoid the PK like the plague. Poor staff, poor rooms, poor food and just a poor hotel that is a disgrace to the Starwood family. They should dump this hotel off to Motel 8 or Super 8, because it probably fits in better with their category of hotels.

To the OP, fight-on... it is time Starwood has to pay for having such a lousy hotel in its chain.
Was there last week for 1 night, cant say I LOVE the place but it wasnt as bad as You made it out to be. Then again I wouldnt want to be there on my Honeymoon or any Special occasion.

I found the Staff to be top notch and took care of Me very well. I was a bit taken back with the rooms, I was in the tall tower, but for the $ they ask for , I highly doubt you would find anything better. Yes it needs a great deal of Improvement in the physical plant, and if '60s Miami Beach is not what you have in mind then youd Hate the rooms.

But as the saying goes, You do get what you pay for. The Moana is around another $125 a night or Double the SPK. For some thats too much for others they would rather pay the extra then be stuck at the SPK.

Would I stay there again, it all depends for 1 or 2 nights Yep, a special occasion Nope, everything else is alot more $$$ Yep.

As for Ocean View there are very few rooms if any that have it, maybe in the 2 older and lower buildings taht are being torn down. But even there I doubt youd see anything as that Moana will be blocking the view.

The Main Tower has its Width not facing the Ocean but the side streets as is the case with most Beach Hotels , it would cost way too much if the Width was facing the Ocean rather then if the property went Inland. My corner room at the Marriott was no better and cost alot more, although the room was larger and better furnished.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 3:27 pm

Programs: spg-plat, aa-1mm and exp,hh-Diamond,hyatt-gld
sheraton- princess Kaiulani- hotel-HNL

anyone with recent visit to this hotel and if so what did you find?

planning a trip for 5 days in may, what is your rec for best spg property at or near the convention center?

thanks for your help!
Old Jan 26, 2008, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by lestismore
anyone with recent visit to this hotel and if so what did you find?

planning a trip for 5 days in may, what is your rec for best spg property at or near the convention center?

thanks for your help!
I stayed here a few months back on cash & points. There is nothing fancy about the place but for 2800 points and $45 a night its a steal. I paid $500 a night at the Westin and felt like I had been robbed at gun point after I got to my room.

Last edited by bbbb; Jan 26, 2008 at 9:19 pm
Old Jan 26, 2008, 8:21 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Stayed there a few months ago as well, and have a similar sentiment that bbbb & others have posted: for the price it's just not that bad. Would I stay there for a special occasion? Probably not. Would I stay there for a week on Oahu? Nope. Would I stay there for one to two nights? Sure. Arriving into HNL in the evening and just wanting a comfortable place to stay for the night before an early morning inter-island flight onward, it was fine. As a Plat, was upgraded to a spacious top-floor suite with a decent view up the Waikiki shore towards Diamond Head. It wasn't a "Westin" style suite, but then the hotel isn't a Westin, so I wasn't disappointed. It was pretty typical sheraton in terms of decor, if a bit dated, but def. a lot bigger than a lot of Sheraton suites/rooms I've seen.

Myself and a few other FTers did have dinner there, and the food def. wasn't worth the price we paid, but it's Hawaiii and at hotels in hawaaii, that's to be expected. I thought the whole main/lobby floor was insanely touristy, but that wasn't a surprise to me either.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone know if I can park at PK parking garage while staying at another hotel nearby - more specifically can I get in and out privileges with $20/day parking they offer?
Old Feb 12, 2008, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by azepine00
Does anyone know if I can park at PK parking garage while staying at another hotel nearby - more specifically can I get in and out privileges with $20/day parking they offer?
Only if you are staying Moana Surfrider I believe. I'm not sure about Royal Hawaiian, but Sheraton Waikiki has their own lot. $15 per day with in and out privileges.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
looks like i'll be staying here on the cash and points option for my two day mileage run to hnl next month...$45 a day plus points well worth it, 'dump' or simply 'not great hotel.'

thanks for the thread, i feel like i'm going in fully prepared!

one question--are there places to eat/stuff to do nearby? i don't intend to rent a car. is the best way to get to the hotel from the airport a cab?
Old Feb 18, 2008, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by karenkay
looks like i'll be staying here on the cash and points option for my two day mileage run to hnl next month...$45 a day plus points well worth it, 'dump' or simply 'not great hotel.'

thanks for the thread, i feel like i'm going in fully prepared!

one question--are there places to eat/stuff to do nearby? i don't intend to rent a car. is the best way to get to the hotel from the airport a cab?
No, the "best" way is to be picked up by a friend in a Roll's. The second best is by cab.

The next-to-cheapest (The BUS is only $2, but they don't allow luggage that doesn't fit under the seat, and most doesn't) is to take a shuttle. Usually around $8, I think. You'll find someone representing the shuttles right outside of baggage claim.

The hotel is in the center of Waikiki. Lots of eating options, and they're getting better by the month in Waikiki. Lots to do nearby, and The BUS is an option for things a bit further away.

Aloha
Old Mar 5, 2008, 9:41 am

Stay for Next Week

I currently going to Waikiki next week for a 5 day vacation. Im going by myself and Im meeting up with my sister during my stay. I was thinking about staying at the Hilton Prince for around $1000 but for the cash and points of 2800 and $45 a night seems like a good deal. Has anyone stayed recently? What should I expect as a Gold? Also, cheaper parking alternatives in the area? Thanks

Last edited by adam34space; Mar 5, 2008 at 10:56 am
Old Mar 5, 2008, 10:46 am

i am thinking of staying at this property for the long weekend as well since my flight will not arrive until 8pm local time. do u guys think C&P will be a good idea? as a platinum, what should I be expect other than a smoking room?
Old Mar 5, 2008, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You get what you paid for.

The rooms are bleh...old, a bit torn. It's still clean, however. Even the suites are bleh. I think the staffs are horrible.

$45 + 2800 points in the smack of Waikiki albeit not on the beach.

Don't expect too much. If you want nicer rooms, book Westin Moana or W.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 11:06 am

haha i know, i have rest of my nights book on westin but the first night since i will not be at the hotel until 9-10pm, i figured this is a way to go. do they give breakfast vouchers at least? I know there's a market and KFC nearby the hotel but thats all I can remember.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anchor79
do they give breakfast vouchers at least?
No they do not.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
You get what you paid for.

The rooms are bleh...old, a bit torn. It's still clean, however. .

Don't expect too much.
Correct. I stayed there last April for 2 nights taking somebody around the Oahu, who's never been there before. It was fine, since we just needed a decent, clean room to sleep. Priced out at some $ 90+/night. So I am not complaining.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.