Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, Waikiki/Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, Waikiki/Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2008, 4:16 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Diam, MR Plat, AA Plat, CO Elite Plat., Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by anchor79
haha i know, i have rest of my nights book on westin but the first night since i will not be at the hotel until 9-10pm, i figured this is a way to go. do they give breakfast vouchers at least? I know there's a market and KFC nearby the hotel but thats all I can remember.
There's a market on Kuhio, one block away. Lots of places around there to get $4 breakfast. Most of the inexpensive restaurants are on Kuhio.

If you stay at Princess K, you can use the *wood lounge at the Moana across the street. Most f/d people don't tell you that unless you ask.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by socalplat
If you stay at Princess K, you can use the *wood lounge at the Moana across the street. Most f/d people don't tell you that unless you ask.
I don't know about this one. I asked last time and was told no.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 4:33 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Diam, MR Plat, AA Plat, CO Elite Plat., Hertz Gold
You know how f/d clerks are. You ask 3 different ones the same question and you get 3 different answers . I have stayed there a few times for quick trips from LAX and it was never a problem.

The first time I asked if there was a lounge at the property and was told no. The f/d manager was at the plat check-in and overheard us and said I could use the lounge across the street. The original f/d clerk I asked never offered that info.

Last edited by socalplat; Mar 5, 2008 at 4:44 pm
Old Mar 5, 2008, 5:50 pm
iwc

Originally Posted by socalplat
You know how f/d clerks are. You ask 3 different ones the same question and you get 3 different answers . I have stayed there a few times for quick trips from LAX and it was never a problem.

The first time I asked if there was a lounge at the property and was told no. The f/d manager was at the plat check-in and overheard us and said I could use the lounge across the street. The original f/d clerk I asked never offered that info.
If this is true it is a big ^^^. It may even be one of the only redeeming qualities of this property other than room rate.

Last month while at the Moana Surfrider the Memories Lounge staff told me that plans are to move the lounge to the ground floor overlooking the swimming pool. Don't know the time frame.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
fwiw, my stay there was perfectly acceptable. i requested--and got--a nonsmoking room for my $45 plus points, and was 'upgraded' to a 'partial ocean view' room (one of those where you can see the ocean through the buildings from your balcony if you lean over far enough ) it wasn't a fabulous hotel by any stretch, but it was great for the price, and--for the price, if there was another mr opportunity to honolulu--i'd stay again.

easy walk to waikiki and the surrounding area is just fine. i'm an spg nobody, so expected--and got--nothing special (other than that 'upgrade' which was a nice surprise.)

for obvious reasons--just read upthread--i didn't have any meals there.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 10:49 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, Platinum SPG, Platinum Hyatt, Silver Marriott, Avis First
I'm thinking of staying here in late July. I'm meeting up with some college buddies for a wedding, and I have never been to Hawaii before.

After reading the reviews here, I'm rethinking staying here. With Cash&Points this hotel is 2800 pts + $45/night. For the price, it seems like a steal. But if I'm going to eaten alive by cockroahces then it's not worth it. Has anyone stayed here recently, is there any progress on the renovations?

Currently there are no other *wood properties that are accepting cash and points. The W and Moana Surfrider are both 12,000 points - which would deplete my points rather quickly... What is the process behind hotels accepting cash and points, why does SPK accept now, but none of the others?

I'm trying to stay for 5 nights - I haven't seen any 5th night free promotions yet, do they normally do these for summer months?

Also, I'm planning on renting a car, is it best to rent at the airport or take a shuttle in town and rent there?

Thanks everyone for helping me plan my vacation
Old Apr 22, 2008, 12:02 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by ederemer
I'm thinking of staying here in late July. I'm meeting up with some college buddies for a wedding, and I have never been to Hawaii before.

After reading the reviews here, I'm rethinking staying here. With Cash&Points this hotel is 2800 pts + $45/night. For the price, it seems like a steal. But if I'm going to eaten alive by cockroahces then it's not worth it. Has anyone stayed here recently, is there any progress on the renovations?

Currently there are no other *wood properties that are accepting cash and points. The W and Moana Surfrider are both 12,000 points - which would deplete my points rather quickly... What is the process behind hotels accepting cash and points, why does SPK accept now, but none of the others?

I'm trying to stay for 5 nights - I haven't seen any 5th night free promotions yet, do they normally do these for summer months?

Also, I'm planning on renting a car, is it best to rent at the airport or take a shuttle in town and rent there?

Thanks everyone for helping me plan my vacation
I just recently passed through the Princess Kaiulani and yes the place is worn. If you get something in the older wing (non-tower) the rooms even look more ancient (1980's?). The rooms here are very basic and there isn't much special about this place. The 6 suites they have also aren't too special. I've seen 3 of the 6 and they all look about the same. No lounge here, but there are computers in the lobby if you don't mind waiting. They have signs in the front desk saying that if you "buy up" to the next room category you get free internet access. As the saying goes you get what you pay for and this is no exception. They do have the Bliss products here. BTW, the planned condo conversion is on hold for a few years from what I was told due to all the $$$ being spent on upcoming renovations at the Royal Hawaiian and what seems like stalled renovations at the Sheraton.

As for Cash and Points, this is all dependent on the hotel. The Moana is usually pretty full, especially in the summer so there is no need for them to offer discounts (C&P). As for the car, I've never done it, but parking is $25/day. If you're planning on just staying in the Waikiki area, I would forgo the car as Waikiki is not too big and parking is at a premium. Fifth night free award is always offered for properties excluding those in Cat 1/2.

I've stayed at both the Princess Kaiulani and Westin Moana Surfrider (also before when it was flagged a Sheraton). My preferred hotel is the Moana, but if there is a promotion running I might be swayed to go between the MS and PK.

Last edited by kluau88; Apr 22, 2008 at 12:08 pm
Old Apr 25, 2008, 1:21 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, UA 2P, Bonvoy Gold
I've stayed at each of the Starwood properties in Honolulu, some multiple times. Heading back to the Sheraton Waikiki for Memorial Weekend. The Princess Kaiulani is elegant in its name only. There is really no good reason to consider this hotel, IMHO, even if you are swayed by SPG benes as I was in chosing to stay here, regrettably. The staff were nice, but this hotel is pretty-much a dump and was in much need of a make-over (this could have been easily said 10 years ago as well). It's time for this old dowager to step down, it's not Starwood-worthy by any stretch.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 8:43 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by LAXjoe
I've stayed at each of the Starwood properties in Honolulu, some multiple times. Heading back to the Sheraton Waikiki for Memorial Weekend. The Princess Kaiulani is elegant in its name only. There is really no good reason to consider this hotel, IMHO, even if you are swayed by SPG benes as I was in chosing to stay here, regrettably. The staff were nice, but this hotel is pretty-much a dump and was in much need of a make-over (this could have been easily said 10 years ago as well). It's time for this old dowager to step down, it's not Starwood-worthy by any stretch.
I stayed there last week and there is a good reason to go there: price. I paid $116 including taxes. Just the right price and hotel for a short stopover in HNL on my way to the US.
Oh, and everything you write about the place is correct.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 11:05 am

do they have sweet sleeper beds in the property yet?? or its just "some" rooms or not at all?
Old Jun 23, 2008, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond , IHG Plat, SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE
Is this whole hotel smoking only?

I am trying to book a weekend July 24-27 and the only rooms that come up are smoking rooms. Does this seem correct?

I tried some other dummy dates into august, same result.

I have seem that sometimes award stays are booked into smoking rooms, however every single cash rate as smoking as well?

May be another reason to stay away from this place.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 11:34 am

it seems like u have to request a non smoking room at the time of the checkin. good luck!
Old Sep 12, 2008, 7:35 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Anybody have suggestions in regards to cheap parking around the hotel?
Old Sep 12, 2008, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by GVA
Anybody have suggestions in regards to cheap parking around the hotel?
Never parked here but read about it in another thread.

http://www.vrbo.com/27793
Old Sep 21, 2008, 4:36 am

Programs: BA Gold,Amex Centurion,Marriott LT Plat Prem Elite +AMBASS,Hilton Diamond,Priority Club Plat,VS Gold
Exclamation HELP/Info Request Please :)

Hello all,

I have two elderly friends staying in the hotel on Sept 26th to Sept 29th and October 18th. They are a dear couple from Canada and one of them is not very well at all and we are very concerned about her health right now due having a minor stroke. They have made the reservations themselves and I want to possibly use some of my points to upgrade them to a nicer room. On October 18th their flight arrives also at 7am and I was hoping to arrange an early check in for them. The lady who is not well is also celebrating her birthday on September 28th and I was hoping to have the hotel acknowledge this.

Does anyone have a direct email or contact for this hotel so I could could send an urgent request please? Thanks all in advance. They are good friends and have looked after me ever so well when I visit Canada and I would like to return the favor.

Thanks again

Stephen

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.