FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, Waikiki/Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]
Old Apr 22, 2008, 12:02 pm
kluau88

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by ederemer
I'm thinking of staying here in late July. I'm meeting up with some college buddies for a wedding, and I have never been to Hawaii before.

After reading the reviews here, I'm rethinking staying here. With Cash&Points this hotel is 2800 pts + $45/night. For the price, it seems like a steal. But if I'm going to eaten alive by cockroahces then it's not worth it. Has anyone stayed here recently, is there any progress on the renovations?

Currently there are no other *wood properties that are accepting cash and points. The W and Moana Surfrider are both 12,000 points - which would deplete my points rather quickly... What is the process behind hotels accepting cash and points, why does SPK accept now, but none of the others?

I'm trying to stay for 5 nights - I haven't seen any 5th night free promotions yet, do they normally do these for summer months?

Also, I'm planning on renting a car, is it best to rent at the airport or take a shuttle in town and rent there?

Thanks everyone for helping me plan my vacation
I just recently passed through the Princess Kaiulani and yes the place is worn. If you get something in the older wing (non-tower) the rooms even look more ancient (1980's?). The rooms here are very basic and there isn't much special about this place. The 6 suites they have also aren't too special. I've seen 3 of the 6 and they all look about the same. No lounge here, but there are computers in the lobby if you don't mind waiting. They have signs in the front desk saying that if you "buy up" to the next room category you get free internet access. As the saying goes you get what you pay for and this is no exception. They do have the Bliss products here. BTW, the planned condo conversion is on hold for a few years from what I was told due to all the $$$ being spent on upcoming renovations at the Royal Hawaiian and what seems like stalled renovations at the Sheraton.

As for Cash and Points, this is all dependent on the hotel. The Moana is usually pretty full, especially in the summer so there is no need for them to offer discounts (C&P). As for the car, I've never done it, but parking is $25/day. If you're planning on just staying in the Waikiki area, I would forgo the car as Waikiki is not too big and parking is at a premium. Fifth night free award is always offered for properties excluding those in Cat 1/2.

I've stayed at both the Princess Kaiulani and Westin Moana Surfrider (also before when it was flagged a Sheraton). My preferred hotel is the Moana, but if there is a promotion running I might be swayed to go between the MS and PK.

Last edited by kluau88; Apr 22, 2008 at 12:08 pm