Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Milan, Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Milan, Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2012, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by sbrower
But overall, based on your stay about 3 years ago, about which you have posted at least 3 times, would you recommend this hotel?
Not to negate BKLee's input, but if you're looking for more recent stays...

Just as an fyi - there are more recent reports in this same thread - one quite detailed in Dec '11

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17569637-post35.html

and another one in this same thread in Feb '12that's shorter but by someone who's stayed there multiple times over past few years.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17940779-post38.html

Now I need to go check to see if the lounge sticky has been updated or if I need to do so.

Cheers.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:05 am

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Since we came into town by train @ Centrale we took a cab from Centrale to the hotel. This is an 18 Euro cab ride mid-afternoon.
Still 18e to Central Station as of 11/12. And if you are requesting a cab from the hotel (to anywhere) they can call a taxi service and arrange for you to pay the driver by credit card for no extra fee. We paid NO baggage fee either to or from the station. Not sure if that was by luck or edict in Milan.

Service was great, no hint of issues.
Staff really is top form. Couldn't do enough to make me feel welcomed and comfortable.

Normal Platinum bennies were offered, the lounge was open Friday night with ice, cold & hot drinks, and some dry "bar" snacks in a couple of bowls.
Lounge is a joke. Very small room with 7 tables pushed together. Not pleasant area to hang out. Small terrace with 3 tables. A few comfy easy chairs in the hallway. Nightly hor d'oeuvres in addition to dry bar snacks were minimal: a plate of meat, plate with variety of cheeses and 2 hot choices (chicken wings or sliced turkey or veggie egg mini fritata, etc.. plus one veggie or potato) Alcohol: choice of pretty good red wine, white wine or beer. One old computer and printer for guest use. Large flat screen set to CNN.

As others have noted, there is one gentlemen who acts as a bartender. He tries to do a good job but for some reason he frequently leaves the room for 5-20 minutes and when he does so he locks up the wine/beer so it is rather inconvenient and does not make one feel welcomed.

If he is not busy he will walk around room refilling wine. I think they removed food/wine around 8pm at which time he put out a sliced tart and served everyone still in the lounge a plated slice. Nice gesture.

Hotel knows they need to improve the lounge and they are considering using a larger space on the 7th floor which is not currently being used. I did not want to press them too much as I don't want them to close the lounge totally as they have done to all but one Marriott lounge in Paris. Let's give them a few months to try to sort it out.

Lounge has evening service Sunday night through Thursday night (not Fri, Sat night). They still put Plats (and probably Golds) on list for free breakfast Sat and Sun morning. Weekends lounge is open with water, juice, soda, and dry bar snacks but no evening service.

Beds were comfortable,
VERY comfortable. Linens are a combo 50% cotton, 50% poly and really really soft and wonderful. Nice firmness to bed.

Good breakfast offering in the restaurant.
Great breakfast and great service (particularly from Carmen). Eggs made to order, selection of cheeses, salad, fresh smoked salmon... top quality and a delightful experience.

But beware: this hotel will scam you by converting the bill to dollars.
Yes, this is still a big problem. If you get scammed, email [name redacted] Director of Guest Relations at the hotel. Perhaps if she gets enough emails she will see that this problem is fixed. PM me if you would like her email address.

OTHER INFO:
Hotel is stunning in an old Italian motif. It has 7 floors. Lounge on 7th floor. Didn't see a room on 7 but they seemed larger and most if not all had large patios. Hotel has 3 Executive rooms on each floor which they upgrade to Platinums. Those rooms larger and better appointed with large bathroom.

Hotel in residential area which I liked. Supermarket across the street. Tried Restaurante Pace which was recommended by hotel and by this thread. Restaurant had nice atmosphere but I found the food (osso bucco and spaghetti alla vongole) very mediocre/poor. Also tried Trattoria Muchacha (recommended by hotel) which serves food from Puglia. Again, nice atmosphere but awful wine and mediocre/poor food. Both seem to have a mix of tourists and local regulars so not sure if they have 2 standards or they are just not great restaurants for all.

Easy access (15 minutes) to Brea, shopping areas and Palace with 61 bus in front of hotel. Tram 16 from Piazza Piemonte to Duomo but trams not as pleasant as bus. You can buy day tickets from Boutique in hotel or Tabacco store on corner. Also bus 58 and 67 nearby but not sure where they go.

Would have liked a kettle in room to make tea at my convenience rather than having to go up to lounge or call room service. Kettle should be standard in an executive room.

I enjoyed hotel very much and will return. UPDATE: Thus far hotel has not responded to my email about being charged in US dollars instead of Euros. If they don't handle this professionally I will not return even though I feel it is a nice property.

Last edited by fmkgb; Nov 10, 2012 at 5:09 am Reason: removed name and email of Marriott employee
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:46 am

Thanks for the update! Much appreciated.

I'll also update the exec lounge sticky.

Cheers.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
and this is an improvement over their operation 2-yrs ago when the so-called lounge was unmanned, unlocked with no ice or anything else, including electric for the lights................

I for one would never return to this prop.............

Originally Posted by fmkgb
Lounge is a joke. Very small room with 7 tables pushed together. Not pleasant area to hang out. Small terrace with 3 tables. A few comfy easy chairs in the hallway. Nightly hor d'oeuvres in addition to dry bar snacks were minimal: a plate of meat, plate with variety of cheeses and 2 hot choices (chicken wings or sliced turkey or veggie egg mini fritata, etc.. plus one veggie or potato) Alcohol: choice of pretty good red wine, white wine or beer. One old computer and printer for guest use. Large flat screen set to CNN.
As others have noted, there is one gentlemen who acts as a bartender. He tries to do a good job but for some reason he frequently leaves the room for 5-20 minutes and when he does so he locks up the wine/beer so it is rather inconvenient and does not make one feel welcomed.
If he is not busy he will walk around room refilling wine. I think they removed food/wine around 8pm at which time he put out a sliced tart and served everyone still in the lounge a plated slice. Nice gesture.

I enjoyed hotel very much and will return.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
and this is an improvement over their operation 2-yrs ago when the so-called lounge was unmanned, unlocked with no ice or anything else, including electric for the lights................

I for one would never return to this prop.............
Based on fmkgb's update of a recent stay, I would consider this property especially if they decide to expand the exec lounge. I appreciate his update.

Cheers.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 4:59 am

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Sharon, Just to confirm, lounge IS open on weekends but there is no service. They stock it with warm h2o, soda, juice, bucket of ice, dry bar snacks. Someone comes periodically to restock and clean the room. Can use computer/printer and watch tv. As you indicated in sticky, as Plat I received breakfast in their lovely restaurant but you may want to update sticky to reflect that the lounge itself is open on weekends, just no evening service.

Lounge is still unlocked at all times.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 1:37 pm

Sharon, Just to confirm, lounge IS open on weekends but there is no service. They stock it with warm h2o, soda, juice, bucket of ice, dry bar snacks. Someone comes periodically to restock and clean the room. Can use computer/printer and watch tv. As you indicated in sticky, as Plat I received breakfast in their lovely restaurant but you may want to update sticky to reflect that the lounge itself is open on weekends, just no evening service.

Lounge is still unlocked at all times.
Made the change. Thanks.

Cheers. Sharon
Old Dec 28, 2012, 6:25 am

Still 18e to Central Station as of 11/12. And if you are requesting a cab from the hotel (to anywhere) they can call a taxi service and arrange for you to pay the driver by credit card for no extra fee. We paid NO baggage fee either to or from the station. Not sure if that was by luck or edict in Milan.
Taxi meter is time not distance based and starts running as soon as called. There are also surcharges, if I recall correctly, 3e daytime, 4e Sunday, 6e before 6:30am. Also didn't have any additional fees for luggage. There isn't a fee to use a credit card but as all taxi's don't take credit cards it may take longer (while the meter is running) for a credit card taxi to arrive at the hotel.

From MXP the taxi fix a fixed price of 90e, any taxi using the meter can be reported. Alternatively you can take the Malpensa Express train to the Milano Cadorna Station for 11e one-way and take a taxi from there or the subway (1.5e).

Staff really is top form. Couldn't do enough to make me feel welcomed and comfortable.
The staff could work at the Bulgari or Park Hyatt hotels

I don't want them to close the lounge totally as they have done to all but one Marriott lounge in Paris. Let's give them a few months to try to sort it out.
I found the lounge sufficient, not amazing but it's nice it's open all night for water, fruit and juice (or soda) if nothing else.

Officially the food is over at 7:30pm (19:30) but they typically leave it out a bit longer.

Weekend breakfast in the restaurant is great.

Yes, this is still a big problem. If you get scammed, email [name redacted] Director of Guest Relations at the hotel. Perhaps if she gets enough emails she will see that this problem is fixed. PM me if you would like her email address.
At checkin I was asked if I wanted charged in USD or Euro's and at checkout the receipt showed Euros.

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
.. it is in a residential district which was so difficult to find (I was driving)..
The hotel is on Giorgio Washington which is (now?) a major street with supermarket across the street and restaurants nearby. Taxi's know where hotel is and was rather insulted that I had a map in case they weren't familiar with the Marriott's location.

Easy access (15 minutes) to Brea, shopping areas and Palace with 61 bus in front of hotel.
It took about 7-10 minutes to walk to the subway, although we typically walked a different way to the city each time and discovered a lot of things along the way (City wall/gate, basilica's, castles, Last Supper, shopping, etc)

I also was impressed with the amount of amenities:
*Bathrobe
*Slippers
*Shampoo
*Conditioner (not standard in Italy)
*Hand Bar Soap
*Body Bar Soap (not standard in Italy)
*Body Wash
*Comb
*Mouth Wash
*Tooth brush & paste
*Disposable razor
*Lotion
*Shoe Sponge
*Vanity Kit/Que Tips
*1 L Water gratis (Natural/No Gas)
*Sowing Kit
*Bath Salts
*US 110v Outlet in the bathroom
NOTE: I'm not sure if some of these amenities are specific to a room upgrade.

Last edited by MyTravels; Dec 28, 2012 at 11:17 am
Old Dec 29, 2012, 9:24 am

Thanks for the recent update!

Cheers.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K M, AA 2 MM PREM, AVIS First, HYATT Explorist, Marriott Lifetime Platinum., Hilton Gold.
Rooms updates, lounge, etc.

Headed to Milan in late May annd are considering staying at Milan Marriott. A little concerned about the rooms and lounge after reading this thread. I am a GOLD member and am wondering what to expect. We will be a family of 4 staying - 2 adults and 2 babies.

Have the rooms been updated?
Any recent lounge experience?

We may have a rental car, can I do street parking instead of paying 21 euro charge?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 3:11 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by ACC2008
Headed to Milan in late May annd are considering staying at Milan Marriott. <snip>

Have the rooms been updated?
Any recent lounge experience?
I stayed there last month (on a LNF )

The rooms have not been updated
The lounge is the worst I've ever experienced

The AC Milan is marginally better; however it's typical of the AC brand in Europe - well appointed, albeit in a "rough" area

Both hotels are on my "taking one for the team" list - ie, I only stay in them for the points/nights whilst my Company is picking up the tab

I wouldn't dream of staying at either hotel whilst on vacation

Sorry to be so negative....
est-gratuite likes this.

Last edited by Wickersley; Apr 17, 2013 at 5:32 pm Reason: Add clarity
Old Apr 17, 2013, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Wife and I will be in MXP in late May, also. I took one look at reviews on various sites and scratched the Marriott off my list. Looked like a total waste of points. Plenty of nice little boutique hotels in Milan for reasonable prices.

Last edited by dd992emo; Apr 17, 2013 at 5:34 pm
Old Apr 21, 2013, 2:15 am

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Marriott seems to have awful locations in far too many major European capitals.

TG for the competition.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 4:00 pm

Programs: SPG Plat 100, A3*G
Long time, no post in this thread

I have a flight from MXP on Dec 19th at 1:40 PM. Since we have to drive to MXP (from the direction of LJU) for about 5-6 hours, my wife and I were thinking about arriving to MIL the day before the flight.

I already have a reservation at the Airport Sheraton for about 100€ (with breakfast) but was thinking about rather spending the night in the center.

So far, reviews here seem to be pretty mixed between FP, Sheraton and Westin, with Westin probably "winning".

Which one is the best one in terms of location? Walking around a little bit, seeing some sights in the evening and morning?

And then the question about transportation. We'll have a car, which we will leave at the airport. Which option seems better:
A) Drive to MXP first, leave the car there. Take the train to MIL and train back the next day? The problem is driving the luggage back and forth
B) Park the car somewhere in the center (next to the hotel) and drive to the airport the next day?
C) Something else?

Thanks a lot for any suggestions...
Old Nov 21, 2013, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by zagy

C) Something else?

C....

Stay at the airport. Drop your car off the day before departure. Check into the hotel. Take the train, or a bus, unencumbered by your luggage, into the city. Enjoy the city.

(I have no idea how late the buses/trains run - if they run pretty late, this is what I would do.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.