Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Milan, Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Milan, Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2009, 1:14 pm

I will check it out, Westin looked fanicer and I need fancy!!!

Thanks for the pointers. New to this forum and still feeling my way around it.

Thanks all for the input. I appreciate it.

V

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Mar 30, 2009 at 3:55 pm
Old Mar 31, 2009, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Qwiklap
I was in Milan for a brief stay on business (have to be frugal with the company dime) and I stayed at the Four Points. It was disgusting. It was so unacceptably poor that I called the SPG line and told them that the hotel (which was a franchised property) should be stripped of the Four Points name.

Compared to other Four Points (one of my favorites is the Shanghai Pudong), this one was a 2 star hotel. Disgusting, worn out rooms. Terrible services. Breakfast was aweful. Just a foul place that should not be part of the Starwood brand.
I have to almost completely disagree. I've stayed at this FP many times and it's better than most FP's in the US that I've tried. Great Plat recognition here as I always get a nice suite upgrade. It's walking distance to Central station which is why I stay there, plus it's a lot cheaper than the Westin.

I'll admit I don't know about the breakfast at the hotel. I usually just walk over to the train station and get a simple and much cheaper breakfast there.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 1:36 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by Cucchi
They are based on room rate. The price for the Club Room should be 50 EUR more than the Best Available Rate.
So is the concencus that neither the Westin, Sheraton nor LM give free breakfast to Plats?

I'd like to use my free weekend nights at one of these hotels, and free bfast
would be a deciding factor.

Thanks for any input you can provide,

Bostonbali
Old Jun 12, 2009, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by CIT85
LM Gallia is actually quite convenient. Statione Centrale also is the bus stop for Malpensa Bus. The rates at LM Gallia are almost always lower than the Westin and Sheraton.
We stayed there in March, and I totally agree. It's an extremely convenient location if you plan on using the train, subway, or bus to get around. As a Gold, I got a pretty decent room. They didn't say whether it was an upgrade or not, but it had a nice balcony overlooking the train station (which might sound bad, but it's a great view).
Old Sep 15, 2009, 6:34 pm

Four Points vs. Gallia

So I'm going to Milan for just a night Sep 25, and I can get either the Four Points or the Gallia either for 10,000 points. I see the Gallia is generally preferred (though I have no status so no upgrade). And it's AT the train station whereas the Four Points is a short walk away. I do care slightly - I'll be arriving/departing from the station and won't have a car, just taking public transit and walking.

But - at the Gallia I can't reserve a non-smoking room, only a single with a French bed (traveling solo, should be OK). At the Four Points I can reserve a non-smoking double (slightly larger than a French I guess).

Question is, does it really matter that much what I reserve? Decent or slim chance I'd still get a non-smoking room at the Gallia or wind up not getting one at the Four Points even if I reserved it that way? Yes, I should be able to check in fairly early, probably by 14:00 or before.

Also: I've read all the threads here I could find about the two hotels as well as the Trip Advisor reviews. And I even "walked" around them using Google Maps' Street View (very cool). And yet I still can't get a sense of the difference between the individual areas (I know, not that far apart, both far from the center) where each hotel resides - like, besides the longer walk to/from the train station and the Four Points, what difference does the area make?

And, location aside, assuming I get no upgrade and get the most basic room at either hotel, do I really care all that much between one or the other?
Old Sep 15, 2009, 6:58 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by ahallflyertalk
So I'm going to Milan for just a night Sep 25, and I can get either the Four Points or the Gallia either for 10,000 points. I see the Gallia is generally preferred (though I have no status so no upgrade). And it's AT the train station whereas the Four Points is a short walk away. I do care slightly - I'll be arriving/departing from the station and won't have a car, just taking public transit and walking.

But - at the Gallia I can't reserve a non-smoking room, only a single with a French bed (traveling solo, should be OK). At the Four Points I can reserve a non-smoking double (slightly larger than a French I guess).

Question is, does it really matter that much what I reserve? Decent or slim chance I'd still get a non-smoking room at the Gallia or wind up not getting one at the Four Points even if I reserved it that way? Yes, I should be able to check in fairly early, probably by 14:00 or before.

Also: I've read all the threads here I could find about the two hotels as well as the Trip Advisor reviews. And I even "walked" around them using Google Maps' Street View (very cool). And yet I still can't get a sense of the difference between the individual areas (I know, not that far apart, both far from the center) where each hotel resides - like, besides the longer walk to/from the train station and the Four Points, what difference does the area make?

And, location aside, assuming I get no upgrade and get the most basic room at either hotel, do I really care all that much between one or the other?
my info is dated by a couple of years, but as bad as the neighborhood can be by the train station, i prefer it to the 4 points.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ahallflyertalk, you don't say what your Starwood status is? As a Plat, I always get upgraded to a nice suite at the Four Points, so I would have no idea what a normal room looks like. Italians have really cut down their smoking since the no smoking law went into effect. I don't even notice the smell in the hotels anymore, so the chances are pretty good that no matter what room you get it will smell ok.

There are a few nice restaurants walking distance from the FP, and several poor ones. Sorry, I've never stayed at the LM as it usually costs a lot more than the FP.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 9:56 am

Stimpy, I have NO status (I assume) just points for a free room. I expect not to get any upgrades.

Thank you and abk for your feedback. I booked the Gallia with a room with only a French bed and hope it will be OK.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 10:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
One big advantage to staying near the train station is that if you are coming in from MXP you can get a bus in front of the terminal which will drop you off at the station.

This is especially helpful if you have luggage with you.

(Do not take the Malpensa Express train -- it goes to a completely different station.)
Old Sep 16, 2009, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dovster
(Do not take the Malpensa Express train -- it goes to a completely different station.)
Isn't there a new real express train line from Malpensa to Centrale being built now? Should be in operation next year, right?
Old Sep 16, 2009, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
Isn't there a new real express train line from Malpensa to Centrale being built now? Should be in operation next year, right?
That's possible but I don't know. If so, I hope they keep the old one as well -- Cadorna is a lot closer to my UIG's house than the Centrale is.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 1:30 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I am a bit stuck trying to choose a Starwood hotel in Milan.

Could someone please tell me the answer to the following?

- Which is the nicest Starwood hotel in Milan in terms of the room & the area?
- Which is the most convenient for shopping?
- Which is the most convenient for Teattro alla Scala?

Thank you for your help!
Old Sep 20, 2009, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
- Which is the nicest Starwood hotel in Milan in terms of the room & the area?
- Which is the most convenient for shopping?
- Which is the most convenient for Teattro alla Scala?
I have not been in the rooms of the various hotels, so I can not comment on that. However, in terms of the area, the most convenient for shopping, and proximity to La Scala it is definitely Le Meridien Gallia.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 3:25 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Originally Posted by Dovster
I have not been in the rooms of the various hotels, so I can not comment on that. However, in terms of the area, the most convenient for shopping, and proximity to La Scala it is definitely Le Meridien Gallia.
However the westin and the 4 points are all very very close to LM Gallia. Ultimately starwood have 3 hotels in the same "stazione centrale area" + the sheraton a few km away

Personally - in Milan - I like the 4 points. But thats as a plat and I drive so find the parking infront of the hotel very convienient^
Old Sep 21, 2009, 1:14 am

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by terminalfive
However the westin and the 4 points are all very very close to LM Gallia. Ultimately starwood have 3 hotels in the same "stazione centrale area" + the sheraton a few km away

Personally - in Milan - I like the 4 points. But thats as a plat and I drive so find the parking infront of the hotel very convienient^
The Westin Palace is undoubtedly the nearest to the La Scala theater and Via Montenapoleone. http://www.westinpalacemilan.com/en/hotel-milan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.