Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Milan, Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Milan, Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2011, 8:43 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Milan Marriott - Italy [Master Thread]

Can anyone help me on the Milan Marriott ? I am going to Milan for two days in May and wanted to find anyone that has stayed at this property? My wife does want to sightsee a bit.

Thank you in advance.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Stayed there about a month ago...

I was able to jump on a great fare to Milano & whereas the past 2 times I've been there, I've stayed at the Westin Palace, the Westin Palace got bumped up & the cash and points went up to 9,800 points per night + $90US - double what it was last time I was there, so I stayed at the Milan Marriott this time round. TripAdvisor didn't have a whole lot on it & FT had some reviews that weren't all that great - but I had a very good experience.

Accessibility -
Cheapest way to get to the hotel from MXP is to take the Malpensa Express train to the Cadorna station. A ticket costs 11 euros OW (Return tickets are available, but the return must be used that same day - so make sure you only buy a OW ticket). You can buy it at a ticket machine or at the ticket booth at the airport - credit cards ok. Once you get to the Cadorna station, go to the metro/subway area (outside the station, down the stairs) & buy a ticket for the "red line" towards Bisceglie (1 euro) - take it 3 stops to Wagner. Once you get off Wagner, head towards the big traffic circle (towards McDonald's for lack of a better landmark) - on the opposite side of the circle is Via Washington. Walk down Via Washington for about 4-5 blocks & the hotel is on your right - about a 5-7 minute walk from the Wagner station.

Rooms -
I had booked a standard room for 1 person - the bed was double bed (I think it may have been considered a queen, but I think it was double/full size bed). Bathroom with a good bathrub & dual-head shower (rain shower head & a telephone shower head) - good towels & a bidet. Decent closet space with an in-room safe. My laptop died & I forgot the cord, so I didn't use internet, so no comment there. There was a sleep sofa & a table/chair set. Minibar with standard stuff, soda's, alcohol, snacks, etc.

Flat Panel TV's had about 30 channels or so with PPV movies - 3-4 english language channels (Fox News, CNN, BBC, and one other), several sports channels (soccer & rugby all day-everyday!), MTV, a few arabic language channels, a french channel, and a german channel (2nd night of my stay was pouring rain, so I ended up staying in).

Restaurant -
Had breakfast every day in the restaurant (no status, so no lounge access for me) - better than standard assortment of fairly high quality breakfast breads/pastries/cakes, etc, eggs, sausage, bacon, assortment of italian cheeses & meats, great cut fruit assortment, panckages, waffles, hashbrowns, juices, etc - overall, definitely a good breakast.

Had quick dinner on the second night there because it was pouring rain - had the Marriott burger (yeah, I know, I'm in Italy, should have been more adventurous, but I like burgers) - it was pretty good with Mozzarella cheese instead of American or Cheddar cheese. Cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, and salad greens & fries on the side. Decent food at a decent price.

I did have other meals nearby - there were a few restaurants within walking distance on either side of the hotel & there was a large supermarket across the street (which was great, because my sister wanted me to pick her up some special honey you can only get in Italy apparently).

Service -
Other reviews complained about crappy customer service (which they say is to be expected in italy) - I disagree. The front desk agent, Stefano, who checked me in (and out actually) & concierge were very helpful & great. The breakfast staff (and it was a buffet) were friendly. The waiter at dinner may have thought I should have ordered something other than the burger, but didn't have any attitude. Overall, everything was fine - housekeepers even greeted me in the hallways - so I think it was a good experience & had no complaints.

Location -
It's not the most touristy of locations - however, with the Wagner line a few minutes away, it's actually quite accessible to the Duomo & other sites (all on the red line). There's also a few shopping/dining streets a few blocks away (near the Wagner area) so it was cool to see the Italian culture in a neighborhood hotel away from the touristy (overpriced) restaurants & stores.

Verdict -
Given the value, I would definitely stay here again. The Westin, whereas it has a great location, didn't make up for it in their new pricing & bump up in award costs.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 9:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Great trip report! Thanks for the update. I'm sure other FTers will appreciate it.

Cheers.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 9:46 am

[QUOTE=SkiAdcock;16038436]Great trip report! Thanks for the update. I'm sure other FTers will appreciate it.

Cheers.[/QUOTE

WOW ! thank you very much for the report! Seems that unless I pay for the Park Hyatt or Weston for location the Marriott works and being a PLT Elite I should get a good room.

Thanks again
Old Mar 16, 2011, 4:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
Hope you can find it - not even the local cops could assist in that task!
The Exec Lounge was a room with no attendants, as well as no lights that worked, and only hot hot drinks as no ice either! As for Plat status, during my visit they couldn't have cared less preferring to have their staff take care of a visiting tour group. If I ever returned to Milan I would make it a point NOT to stay at this property

[QUOTE=edgewood49;16038503]
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Great trip report! Thanks for the update. I'm sure other FTers will appreciate it.

Cheers.[/QUOTE

WOW ! thank you very much for the report! Seems that unless I pay for the Park Hyatt or Weston for location the Marriott works and being a PLT Elite I should get a good room.

Thanks again
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:11 am

Programs: aa advantage, marriott rewards
Thanks for the great info, especially how to get there from the airport. I'll be staying two nights in September.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
Hope you can find it - not even the local cops could assist in that task!
The Exec Lounge was a room with no attendants, as well as no lights that worked, and only hot hot drinks as no ice either! As for Plat status, during my visit they couldn't have cared less preferring to have their staff take care of a visiting tour group. If I ever returned to Milan I would make it a point NOT to stay at this property
Just curious as to when your stay was? I'm assuming it was in November 2009? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ip-report.html - not saying your complaints aren't valid, but a lot can change in a couple of years, FWIW...that said, when the SHS in Vegas was new, a lot of cab drivers had no idea where it was (and it was across from the convention center). From what I recall, there hasn't always been a Marriott in Milan & this one was converted from another brand? In 2009, it may have been relatively new (so the cop didn't know where it was) - don't know that for a fact, but just a guess...
Old Mar 16, 2011, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by bhatnasx
Just curious as to when your stay was? I'm assuming it was in November 2009? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ip-report.html - not saying your complaints aren't valid, but a lot can change in a couple of years, FWIW...that said, when the SHS in Vegas was new, a lot of cab drivers had no idea where it was (and it was across from the convention center). From what I recall, there hasn't always been a Marriott in Milan & this one was converted from another brand? In 2009, it may have been relatively new (so the cop didn't know where it was) - don't know that for a fact, but just a guess...
great point and I was thinking the same thing. Hoping there is someone else out there that has stayed within the last year. We are only in two nights heading on to Florence.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 6:46 pm
Suspended

Yes, our stay was back in Nov of 09, but when I say the local cops couldn't help with the location I mean using the downloaded map with directions for the listed street address, albeit I was downtown near the Duomo

[QUOTE=bhatnasx;16047899]Just curious as to when your stay was? I'm assuming it was in November 2009? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ip-report.html /QUOTE]
Old Mar 16, 2011, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49
great point and I was thinking the same thing. Hoping there is someone else out there that has stayed within the last year. We are only in two nights heading on to Florence.
* Well since post # 2 was based on a stay one month ago I'd say you have current info.

[QUOTE=BKKLEE;16048531]Yes, our stay was back in Nov of 09, but when I say the local cops couldn't help with the location I mean using the downloaded map with directions for the listed street address, albeit I was downtown near the Duomo

Originally Posted by bhatnasx
Just curious as to when your stay was? I'm assuming it was in November 2009? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ip-report.html /QUOTE]
* FWIW - I appreciate BKKLEE's experience, but don't think it's fair to post in a current thread that based on an experience 2 years ago they'd never stay there again, implying that it was a recent experience (until someone pulled up an old thread).

I'd do what others do - ask for current info & base my decision on that, but that's just me.

Cheers.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:38 pm
Suspended

My negative comments were directed to finding the hotel but car verses the other OPs posting who was obviously not driving into Milan. Additionally, my negative comments on the hotels so-called Exec Lounge were not addressed by the other OP.

Just hope anyone attempting to find this hotel by car has better luck then I did and perhaps after 18-months this hotels Exec Lounge has been improved but I won't waste my time, or money, finding out.

[QUOTE=SkiAdcock;16048991]* Well since post # 2 was based on a stay one month ago I'd say you have current info.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 7:55 am

[QUOTE=BKKLEE;16049596]My negative comments were directed to finding the hotel but car verses the other OPs posting who was obviously not driving into Milan. Additionally, my negative comments on the hotels so-called Exec Lounge were not addressed by the other OP.

Just hope anyone attempting to find this hotel by car has better luck then I did and perhaps after 18-months this hotels Exec Lounge has been improved but I won't waste my time, or money, finding out.

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
* Well since post # 2 was based on a stay one month ago I'd say you have current info.

Fair enough.

Cheers.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 9:22 pm

So maybe the real consensus is Milan Marriott is well within the Marriott standards and is a safe choice for us ?

Have decided to go with it and will "report" back the end of May.

Caio
Old Mar 20, 2011, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cool - enjoy your stay & hopefully it will be a good one!

If you take the train/subway option, remember that the subway ticket costs 1 euro & you can buy a ticket from the person at the newstand.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 11:57 am

for those of you that stayed there was brekkie provided?
Looks like brekkie has an amazing spread so definitely considering it... : )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.