Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Milan, Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Milan, Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2014, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by ckendall
The neighborhood of the Sheraton is more of a neighborhood but I'd be hard pressed to call the Sheraton grand.
Thanks for the detailed response.

Re Sheraton, I was really commenting on curb appeal; based on Street View, the Westin is bland cookie-cutter modern that could be anywhere, while the Sheraton at least has a historic facade.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Agreed that the Westin looks like it was transplanted from Cleveland to Piazza Repubblica.

A few more: The Westin lobby is a lot nicer, with a well cared for area often with flowers, newspapers and a bowl of apples. The Sheraton is a bit tattier, and there's a little step up to get to the elevator that's a bit of a pain if you've got a heavy suitcase. Breakfast at the Westin has a better offering and more normal seating; in the Sheraton much of the seating is a bit too "cool" to facilitate easy eating.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:49 pm

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Agreed that the Westin looks like it was transplanted from Cleveland to Piazza Repubblica.

A few more: The Westin lobby is a lot nicer, with a well cared for area often with flowers, newspapers and a bowl of apples. The Sheraton is a bit tattier, and there's a little step up to get to the elevator that's a bit of a pain if you've got a heavy suitcase. Breakfast at the Westin has a better offering and more normal seating; in the Sheraton much of the seating is a bit too "cool" to facilitate easy eating.
But at the Sheraton you can take breakfast also in the garden.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
Having read through this thread & the ones on the Sheraton & Westin, I have the impression that
  • The area around the Westin (& the exterior of the hotel itself, for what that's worth) are a bit sterile vs. the older, grander-looking Sheraton & environs.
  • Sheraton aperitivo rocks, regardless of whether or not you have any interest in picking up gorgeous models.
  • The Westin is closer to the central rail station & a slightly shorter walk to the Duomo.
  • Both properties are convenient to the subway if you don't feel like walking to the major tourist sites.
  • Standard rooms at the Sheraton run the gamut from cramped & a bit worn to recently renovated. Westin base-level rooms a bit more consistent.
  • If you're Plat and/or a recurring visitor, you might get an upgrade. SPG Gold or below should expect nothing (including "enhanced" room), especially at the Sheraton.
  • Also, Sheraton rooms facing the street can be very noisy owing to the tram.

Thread title notwithstanding, I won't ask folks where I should stay when I take the DW to Milan in the coming weeks. Just checking that I have a decent sense of the factors to consider in choosing. (Points cost is identical, so no difference on that front.)
I think your factors are more or less correct. Ask for a room overlooking the garden at the Sheraton and you will have no noise issues. As for the models- they don't eat or drink anyway so physically picking them up would probably be quite easy as they probably weigh about 40 kg. I actually don't see many models there so this was a joke. If you want to see that crowd head down to the Gray or Brera.

I think there are a lot more interesting restaurants around the Sheraton.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 4:11 am

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I think your factors are more or less correct. Ask for a room overlooking the garden at the Sheraton and you will have no noise issues. As for the models- they don't eat or drink anyway so physically picking them up would probably be quite easy as they probably weigh about 40 kg. I actually don't see many models there so this was a joke. If you want to see that crowd head down to the Gray or Brera.

Tu sei cattivo

There are a lot of necessary things, shops, restaurants etc. near to the Sheraton and less near to the Westin.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by Forstbetrieb
But at the Sheraton you can take breakfast also in the garden.
Ah true, but it is always rainy and cold when I am in Milan (like next week...)
Old Jan 16, 2014, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah true, but it is always rainy and cold when I am in Milan (like next week...)
Next week according to meteo.it does indeed look rainy and cold with perhaps even snow on Saturday the 25th.

You can always be like your Italian colleagues and just grab a brioche and cafe and skip "breakfast" altogether. There are a few good cafe around the area of porta Venezia.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 4:31 am

Next week according to meteo.it does indeed look rainy and cold with perhaps even snow on Saturday the 25th.

You can always be like your Italian colleagues and just grab a brioche and cafe and skip "breakfast" altogether. There are a few good cafe around the area of porta Venezia.
The Torrefazione cafe on Corso Buenos Aires (a few blocks up) has some of the best coffee I have ever had.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Torrefazione cafe on Corso Buenos Aires (a few blocks up) has some of the best coffee I have ever had.
^^^
Old Jan 17, 2014, 8:12 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Considering they are a 10 minute walk from each other, I'd be hard pressed to make the decision based on what's close by, other than in cases when it's raining and you want something truly immediately outside your hotel. FWIW, we like Biancolatte in Viale Turati for breakfast and simple lunch, which is advantage Westin.

For us the deciding factor ends up being that we have friends we see who are on the Yellow metro line, and we always have to either come in or leave Milan by train, so Piazza Repubblica wins by a whisker.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MarkedMan
Considering they are a 10 minute walk from each other, I'd be hard pressed to make the decision based on what's close by, other than in cases when it's raining and you want something truly immediately outside your hotel. FWIW, we like Biancolatte in Viale Turati for breakfast and simple lunch, which is advantage Westin.

For us the deciding factor ends up being that we have friends we see who are on the Yellow metro line, and we always have to either come in or leave Milan by train, so Piazza Repubblica wins by a whisker.
I think it is a 15 minute walk however you are right they are not that far apart (about 1km).

The area nearby the Sheraton is just a lot more interesting and has a lot more services. If arriving by car the critical difference with the Sheraton is that it is not in the Congestion charging area whereas the Westin is which makes a difference of a few EUR per day.

Biancolatte is a good choice ^
Old Jan 17, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Ask for a room overlooking the garden at the Sheraton and you will have no noise issues.

I stayed in a garden room with terrace. The noise was terrible as people may party on the terrace next to yours and the noise carries. As well the room I received was old old old. And the shower was a joke (very small) and in the tub. And breakfast was not good, although the garden area was nice. Not one model spotted. And I found restaurants hard to come by in the area. Had to walk quite a while to find decent ones. Doesn't mean the Westin is any better in that regard however.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I stayed in a garden room with terrace. The noise was terrible as people may party on the terrace next to yours and the noise carries. As well the room I received was old old old. And the shower was a joke (very small) and in the tub. And breakfast was not good, although the garden area was nice. Not one model spotted. And I found restaurants hard to come by in the area. Had to walk quite a while to find decent ones. Doesn't mean the Westin is any better in that regard however.
If people on the terrace next to you party that is too bad (although not really the fault of the hotel). Strange regarding the old rooms- the last two times I have stayed there I have had recently renovated rooms.

You are correct the showers are in the tubs in many rooms.

Breakfast not good? What was wrong (out of curiosity)?

As for the infamous models you probably need to be in Milano during fashion week if you want to spot them. Actually probably the models have moved on as they all seem to congregate at the so hip it physically hurts "the Gray" at P.za Duomo.

You can find the schedule here:
http://milanfashionweeklive.com

Cheers!
Old Jan 18, 2014, 2:14 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
If people on the terrace next to you party that is too bad (although not really the fault of the hotel). Strange regarding the old rooms- the last two times I have stayed there I have had recently renovated rooms.

You are correct the showers are in the tubs in many rooms.

Breakfast not good? What was wrong (out of curiosity)?

As for the infamous models you probably need to be in Milano during fashion week if you want to spot them. Actually probably the models have moved on as they all seem to congregate at the so hip it physically hurts "the Gray" at P.za Duomo.

You can find the schedule here:
http://milanfashionweeklive.com

Cheers!
LOL, I certainly didn't stay there expecting models! So no issue there for me

As for shower in tub, it was not good. The tub in the room I had was very narrow. And the faucet for the tub jutted out into the tub. So you banged your knee on it all the time. Secondly the rain shower head was very low. Luckily, I too am very low - so it wasn't an issue for me. But if you're 6' or over, you'd have to shower while ducking

As for breakfast, it was quite a while ago. I recall the scrambled eggs being overly watery/runny and not much else on offer for a vegetarian. But as I say it's many mos ago and specifics are hard to come by. Perhaps I mentioned specifics earlier in this thread or my review on SPG.com.

Finally, I disagree re fault of the terrace. The hotel (or architect) has poorly insulated the doors to the terrace and between the rooms. As such, you hear everything in the older rooms (at least in the room I had). That is the hotels fault. They must be prepared for guests to make noise. And they must prepare the insulation so other guests are not disturbed by it.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 3:37 am

I think it is a 15 minute walk however you are right they are not that far apart (about 1km).

The area nearby the Sheraton is just a lot more interesting and has a lot more services. If arriving by car the critical difference with the Sheraton is that it is not in the Congestion charging area whereas the Westin is which makes a difference of a few EUR per day.

Biancolatte is a good choice ^
I believe the Westin (from where I am writing this message) is just outside the congestion area that starts on the other side of Piazza Repubblica. And in front of the Westin there is little interesting retail but just behind the Westin there are plenty of shops. And the view of the piazza is much nicer than the view from the Principe di Savoia (where you have to look at the Westin!).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.