Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Mauritius Resort (formerly St. Regis) Mauritius [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JW Marriott Mauritius Resort (formerly St. Regis) Mauritius [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2013, 8:50 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by wilsonnyc
1000% agreed with the positive posts. Stayed here for 5 nights (used my 35% off platinum gift so it was 52K points all in!) in early July and were one of about 30 occupied rooms on the whole property. I never thought I would think it, but it was almost too few ppl on property. Almost.

No, in actuality, it was bliss. I'm usually a pretty restless traveler and even in a tropical location like this (think kauai, st john, vieques, etc), i'm exploring the locale and making sure I get off property a decent amount of the trip. Here? I don't think i've ever been so content to stay on property. Our room (we were upgraded to a st regis suite after our jr suite had an electrical issue) was quite literally steps from the beach and there wasn't another guest within earshot. you walk outside from your room and an absolutely incredible beach is steps away. Lounge chairs and umbrellas right outside. As others have noted, the platinum breakfast, activities, gifts, etc are among the best amenities I've ever had at a SPG property.

2 quick tips: 1) We brought a few bottles of wine from our stopover in Paris and it was great to have in the fridge for our stay. The wines avail on property were not great (and expensive). There's not a lot of store options near the property. 2) The "chef's tasting menu", which they suggest throughout the trip, is a bit over-the-top (they make a huge a private room into a flower-laden "romantic" space....not really our scene) and, while the food was prob the best we had on the trip, be aware of what you're getting into.

Anyhow, this is an exceptional property. I would get in before it goes up to a cat 7. July was their "off season" but the only thing that seemed off season was that the sun set at 530 pm each day. Other than that, the weather was perfect ( for us)...75+ and sunny each day.

I have a bunch of pics of the property/rooms I'll try and post a bit later.
Nice! I'm thinking of doing the same in Nov - use my Plat requal gift for 52,000 points... makes it something ridiculous from a % standpoint (like 8 cents... unheard of!)

Did you happen to notice if there was a scuba center in the resort? Or one nearby?
Old Sep 23, 2013, 9:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Nice! I'm thinking of doing the same in Nov - use my Plat requal gift for 52,000 points... makes it something ridiculous from a % standpoint (like 8 cents... unheard of!)

Did you happen to notice if there was a scuba center in the resort? Or one nearby?
Yep...part of the water sports center near the beach/pool. The center itself was pretty amazing - Kayaks, water skiing, snorkel trips, paddle boards, glass bottom boat trips were all free for guests and we used most of them during our stay. I was scheduled to scuba one of our last days but ended up hurting my neck so had to cancel. My memory was that it was pretty cheap....like 80 bucks for a half day (3 dives?) Something like that. Kite surfing was also avail for purchase but was pretty expensive if you do lessons and whatnot.

But yeah...52k points for this property is an outrageous steal. Combined with a 120k skymiles business class award out of ewr (air Mauritius to and from from cdg...) with a Europe stopover and it was about as good a redemption as I've ever pulled off. Hope it works out on your end!
Old Sep 23, 2013, 10:17 pm

May I ask those who've stayed recently if the snorkelling OFF-BEACH is any good? I prefer finding a resort where we can more or less swim/walk out to the reef, rather than have to take a boat into open water.

Does anyone have any idea when off-season is? I'm seeing prices of about 550-600EUR for Nov and Dec. Is this about right? Not that I'm prepared to pay that amount, this would be a pure points or C&P thing for me
Old Sep 24, 2013, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
May I ask those who've stayed recently if the snorkelling OFF-BEACH is any good? I prefer finding a resort where we can more or less swim/walk out to the reef, rather than have to take a boat into open water.

Does anyone have any idea when off-season is? I'm seeing prices of about 550-600EUR for Nov and Dec. Is this about right? Not that I'm prepared to pay that amount, this would be a pure points or C&P thing for me
My recollection is that there wasn't any real snorkling right off the beach, but the boat ride out was only about 5-10 mins from the beach, so wasn't that bad. The snorkling there was ok-to-good. Fish were great, coral was so-so. That said, there is definitely a reef that you can swim to from the beach, but it's not terribly close and I can't vouch for it as i generally took boats (which were really easy and short).

Nov/Dec/Jan is def their high season for the european travelers who frequent mauritius. It's southern hemisphere, so that is their summer. I was there in July, their winter...which was off-season. cooler temps (70s) and sunsets around 530 pm. We heard that Nov/Dec/Jan was much more crowded, quite hot, but longer days of sunshine
Old Sep 24, 2013, 4:59 pm

My recollection is that there wasn't any real snorkling right off the beach, but the boat ride out was only about 5-10 mins from the beach, so wasn't that bad. The snorkling there was ok-to-good. Fish were great, coral was so-so. That said, there is definitely a reef that you can swim to from the beach, but it's not terribly close and I can't vouch for it as i generally took boats (which were really easy and short).

Nov/Dec/Jan is def their high season for the european travelers who frequent mauritius. It's southern hemisphere, so that is their summer. I was there in July, their winter...which was off-season. cooler temps (70s) and sunsets around 530 pm. We heard that Nov/Dec/Jan was much more crowded, quite hot, but longer days of sunshine

Thanks for the info.

I ask because it would be a family trip and the kids are young though they can swim. I've found that looking out for them in "open water" is a lot more stressful compared to when I know we're close enough to the beach that they can swim back by themselves.

Hmmmm it sounds like the Maldives is still a better choice for what we want. We know a non-SPG property there where you can literally swim to the reef in 1 minute. The St Regis did sound like an excellent place to burn some of those points though.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
Thanks for the info.

I ask because it would be a family trip and the kids are young though they can swim. I've found that looking out for them in "open water" is a lot more stressful compared to when I know we're close enough to the beach that they can swim back by themselves.

Hmmmm it sounds like the Maldives is still a better choice for what we want. We know a non-SPG property there where you can literally swim to the reef in 1 minute. The St Regis did sound like an excellent place to burn some of those points though.
Understood. I guess part of it depends on how important snorkling is to you and the family to the day-to-day activities. We thought the beach, pool, and water activities were all top notch and would be great for kids. The fact that it was all free and easy to utilize (at least on the off season...we never had to wait for any activity) was the icing on the cake. The beach/water esp would be very good for kids (gentle waves, good sand, good temp).
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:59 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Any thoughts on weather in "Winter?" Too cold to relax on the beach? Looks like it's average high is around ~72 F in August...
Old Oct 15, 2013, 4:16 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by DC777Fan
Any thoughts on weather in "Winter?" Too cold to relax on the beach? Looks like it's average high is around ~72 F in August...
been once in august and once in september and was cold both times... heard reports to the contrary for other people but i'd never go all the way from usa in their winter again, too risky
Old Oct 15, 2013, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
1000% agreed with the positive posts. Stayed here for 5 nights (used my 35% off platinum gift so it was 52K points all in!) in early July and were one of about 30 occupied rooms on the whole property. I never thought I would think it, but it was almost too few ppl on property. Almost.

No, in actuality, it was bliss. I'm usually a pretty restless traveler and even in a tropical location like this (think kauai, st john, vieques, etc), i'm exploring the locale and making sure I get off property a decent amount of the trip. Here? I don't think i've ever been so content to stay on property. Our room (we were upgraded to a st regis suite after our jr suite had an electrical issue) was quite literally steps from the beach and there wasn't another guest within earshot. you walk outside from your room and an absolutely incredible beach is steps away. Lounge chairs and umbrellas right outside. As others have noted, the platinum breakfast, activities, gifts, etc are among the best amenities I've ever had at a SPG property.

2 quick tips: 1) We brought a few bottles of wine from our stopover in Paris and it was great to have in the fridge for our stay. The wines avail on property were not great (and expensive). There's not a lot of store options near the property. 2) The "chef's tasting menu", which they suggest throughout the trip, is a bit over-the-top (they make a huge a private room into a flower-laden "romantic" space....not really our scene) and, while the food was prob the best we had on the trip, be aware of what you're getting into.

Anyhow, this is an exceptional property. I would get in before it goes up to a cat 7. July was their "off season" but the only thing that seemed off season was that the sun set at 530 pm each day. Other than that, the weather was perfect ( for us)...75+ and sunny each day.

I have a bunch of pics of the property/rooms I'll try and post a bit later.
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
been once in august and once in september and was cold both times... heard reports to the contrary for other people but i'd never go all the way from usa in their winter again, too risky
wilson, thanks for your posts and photos. The place indeed looks great! And ma91, thanks for weighing in. I'm thinking of taking my wife there, quite possibly in or around August, but have a few questions for you two or any other folks familiar with the resort or just Mauritius in general:

1. How cold is cold? Too cold to sit outside in the sun in shorts? Was the sea temperature and pool temperature too cold for swimming in August and September? 75 degrees and sunny sounds very fine to me, but I guess the water temperature can be too low if that is the air temperature.
2. How long is the beach, in terms of how far you can walk along it (measured in minutes or distance?
3. Sounds like renting a car is necessary to explore the island and off-site places to eat. But how worthwhile is the island for exploration? Any hills, trails, beaches, towns, sights, culture worth checking out?
4. For that matter, any particularly great restaurants folks would recommend? And what's Mauritian cuisines like?
5. About how much is car rental per day?
6. Is it possible to simply rent from the hotel for a few days at a relatively reasonable price if we don't want a car the entire time (probably about 10 days, as we're pretty lazy slugs) we'd be there?

Any other advice most welcome!
Old Oct 15, 2013, 5:16 am

Our previous stays were at Le Grand Mauritian (before it burned down!) and then many years ago at The Residence so I can't answer specifics. When we did LGM in 2011 the first day was beautiful, 75-80 degrees, clear blue sky and calm. But then for the remainder of the holiday it was windy, raining frequently and truly cold, like 60 in the morning peaking in low 70s. There is no way you would go in the water and the beach was empty. I appreciate there is luck involved but had similar experience in 2000 when we did Residence, so it's at the point where I will never go again because there is no way I will be able to convince my wife to take the chance again! It was also notable just how empty the place was in August. My advice would be to go during the peak time of January-April and don't take the chance. Mauritius itself is not that "special"... it does not have the great diving of the Maldives or the amazing scenery like Seychelles, so unless the weather is good it ends up being a really "meh" vacation spot for a 18+ hour journey from the USA. Realistically somewhere like St Regis Punta Mita is equally "exotic" and much closer to home. At the very least add in a Seychelles or Africa element to make the journey worthwhile (in 2011 we did Mauritius, Seychelles, Paris which was a good combo)
Old Oct 15, 2013, 7:01 am

Programs: SPG Plat, etc.
August Visit

Spent 5 nights here August 14-19... weather was fantastic... sunny, great beach weather... highs in high 70's to low 80's. The last day was a little cooler, but still nice... shorts weather. However, the week before we arrived we were told the weather was terrible... cool, rainy, windy. So, seems a bit risky.

As my comments earlier in this thread state, we absolutely loved the place. I originally thought I'd get a car and driver to explore one day, but we loved the resort so much we didn't want to leave. It's rare that I don't leave a hotel on a trip... but here it felt right. We did see some of the sights on our way to/from the hotel and airport (used the hotel car service). Not much going on in Mauritius... for us it was all about relaxing in luxury on the beach or pool, the water sports, the spa. No restaurants that warranted leaving the resort... and enough on site to satisfy.

As suggested, Mauritius is a long way to go... we combined this stop with a South Africa/Safari itin... Capetown, Hoedspruit (Kruger National Park for Safari), Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe/Zambia, Chobe National Park in Botswana.

Recommend this St. Regis Highly!
Old Oct 16, 2013, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks very much for this info, ma and TP. Not what I wanted to see re the possible August weather, but very useful nonetheless.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks again for the welcome advice, folks. I'm checking out Punta Mita, ma91...it does look very good and certainly is much more convenient. The cartel violence in Mexico has been creeping closer to that part of the country, though it's not yet at a point where it would stop us from going.

Anyway, we're still thinking about the St. R Mauritius as it does seem that rainy spells can hit any time of year and in fact the rainiest (though warmest) season there is the northern hemisphere winter. I'm thinking of various times of year now, including September on the theory that it's starting to warm up a bit and is usually dry, but the resort won't yet be crowded, which would be nice in and of itself and also increases the shot at an upgrade. Another option, in terms of our schedules, might be early November, which is warmer but probably busier. Any further thoughts on these options or other good times to go (in terms of both weather and being less crowded/greater upgrade shot) would be welcome.

As for going so far, we don't mind that if we can score nice F or J mileage tickets to get all of most of the way there. (If anyone has suggestions about the best airlines for doing so, I'm all ears...Etihad might get us as far as the Seychelles, for instance, where we'd certainly spend a few days and from which we can catch a cheap flight to MRU.) Already been to the Seychelles and the Maldives, which I agree are fantastic, but the St. R Mauritius looks wonderful, we love long walks on long beaches, my wife likes checking out new places and this is a special birthday year for her.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Thanks again for the welcome advice, folks. I'm checking out Punta Mita, ma91...it does look very good and certainly is much more convenient. The cartel violence in Mexico has been creeping closer to that part of the country, though it's not yet at a point where it would stop us from going.

Anyway, we're still thinking about the St. R Mauritius as it does seem that rainy spells can hit any time of year and in fact the rainiest (though warmest) season there is the northern hemisphere winter. I'm thinking of various times of year now, including September on the theory that it's starting to warm up a bit and is usually dry, but the resort won't yet be crowded, which would be nice in and of itself and also increases the shot at an upgrade. Another option, in terms of our schedules, might be early November, which is warmer but probably busier. Any further thoughts on these options or other good times to go (in terms of both weather and being less crowded/greater upgrade shot) would be welcome.

As for going so far, we don't mind that if we can score nice F or J mileage tickets to get all of most of the way there. (If anyone has suggestions about the best airlines for doing so, I'm all ears...Etihad might get us as far as the Seychelles, for instance, where we'd certainly spend a few days and from which we can catch a cheap flight to MRU.) Already been to the Seychelles and the Maldives, which I agree are fantastic, but the St. R Mauritius looks wonderful, we love long walks on long beaches, my wife likes checking out new places and this is a special birthday year for her.
I'm certainly no Mauritius expert, but based on watching the weather report a month before and a month after we went (July), it seemed like low 70s, sunny and a passing shower was the normal weather report. In reality, that was exactly what we got and we thought the cool (by Mauritius standards) was actually super pleasant. Yeah, it was a little chilly at night, but it was ideal beach weather for us. I personally don't like roasting on the beach and I probably spent more time than usual on the beach as a result of the milder weather, and proximity of our suite to the beach. As mentioned up thread, going there during that time of year means you get the resort - and the island - to yourself, because the usual travelers to mauritius (Europeans) aren't there.

If you have Delta miles (or amex points that can transfer), I can walk you through the process of getting from US>Europe>MRU (can build in a stopover in paris or somewhere else) in J for 120k miles a head. might be better to explain over PM.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 6:57 am

TR I've done August and September and neither are great. I strongly recommend January through early April. This would be a great spring break location. Though be aware that spring break is Easter time in Europe so this place will be swarming with French tourists (lile maurice tres populaire avec les Francais)

Best option for miles are using Delta SM and going via Paris. Both Air France and Air Mauritius under AF codeshare are available. Though availability is a bit of a crap-shoot.

The more enjoyable method would be Emirates who fly the A380 to MRU. You can use Alaskan, Korean Air, JAL miles to book. Availability seems rough though I didn't check many dates (which is amazing seeing as they have twice daily one A380 and one 77W)

For Star Alliance you are looking at SAA from Jo'burg.

I really do like the look of this place myself too and I would personally go if it were in the timeframe I mention and I could get there on a nice flight like Emirates. But my better half has put foot down after two bad weather trips and my only hope now is if I combined it with something else like a tag on a South Africa trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.