Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Mauritius Resort (formerly St. Regis) Mauritius [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JW Marriott Mauritius Resort (formerly St. Regis) Mauritius [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2014, 1:14 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by dparkinson
Did you get the impression the island was perfectly safe to travel around?
Yes, crime is relatively low but do watch out for other drivers. Only incident was the Irish girl sadly murdered in her hotel room which made headlines around the world a couple of years ago.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 7:04 am

Programs: SPG Plat, etc.
What was the airport transfer like? Received an email offering transported in a Range Rover or Audi for between 260 and $400 usd one way. Thought that was exorbitant. Did anyone rent a car or scooter for the island, how are the roads? Side q, did anyone managed to hike to the top of the main mountain
The house cars are overpriced, especially the Range Rover option. I chose the Range Rover on arrival it was my first visit to the island and wanted someone from the hotel to look after us rather than someone I didn't have any connection with... plus it was so easy to do. The bonus was that the driver was fantastic, pointed out things along the way, and even stopped so we could get out at one of the points along the way to take some photos.

For the return, after seeing the other option the hotel has available... what they call the "family car" we took that as it was cheaper and it's great... it's some type of an oversized van, but new and very nice... roomier than the RR. On my next trip I'd just use the family car... I'm sure their are some car services that would be cheaper, but I like the hotel connection especially for the pickup.

There is also a taxi stand outside the main gate of the hotel which I think would be a good option for a return to the airport.

The St. Regis Mauritius is amazing... very special.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 6:45 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTT; IHG DiamondAmb; WoH Globalist; UA1K2MM; NationalEE; AvisPC; HertzPC
Originally Posted by ktjan
Located at the quiet southwest side of the island, this area is definitely different the hectic north side tourist scene. This hotel is one of the few SPG properties that goes above and beyond to treat its platinum members like royalty. I just checked in early afternoon today. I booked on cash + points for the deluxe room and got upgraded to the Manor House Suite (second largest suite) without asking. I even have two in-house spa tables inside my oversized bathroom (which is bigger than my master bedroom at home in Chicago) in addition to a giant bathtub. Criss, the Guest Manager, checked me in at the concierge and showed me my room and the surrounding facility like swimming pool, library, movie theater and restaurants. White sand and palm trees... surprisingly not many tourists onsite even during this busy Easter holiday. Restaurant food is good but understandably a bit overpriced just like any St. Regis resorts around the world. What I really like about this hotel is that everyone at the facility keeps good eye contact with the hotel guests and smiles at the guests. I don't sense a hint of snotty attitude, unlike some other high-end SPG properties. All staff is so friendly and nice and eager to please the guests. I'm usually very picky at where I stay for a quick weekend getaway, but I don't have any complaint on my short stay here so far. I hope tomorrow breakfast is not going to be disappointing either!!

New pictures uploaded.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by ktjan
New pictures uploaded.
Thanks for the review and photos, ktjan. Very useful!
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Getting to Mauritius on points / miles?

Just curious as to how people are getting to Mauritius? Are you paying $$ or using points / miles? If the later what routing / airline did you use?
Thanks!
Old Apr 25, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by pkerr
Just curious as to how people are getting to Mauritius? Are you paying $$ or using points / miles? If the later what routing / airline did you use?
Thanks!
I think from the US it's a popular choice for those with Delta SkyMiles using the Air France flights (or AF codes-share with Air Mauritius) and a stopover in Paris. This is what we did a couple of years back.

It's also accessible with Emirates from pretty much anywhere, and there are some decent Star Alliance options from Africa, notably Ethiopian and South African. Oh and BA from Heathrow though with their extortionate fuel surcharges
Old Apr 29, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR
Hello there can anyone tell what the difference is between a Manor House Suite ( and the category below) and the Grand Beach Villa? Is it worth paying the upgrade?

Thanks
Old Apr 29, 2014, 10:28 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
What was the airport transfer like? Received an email offering transported in a Range Rover or Audi for between 260 and $400 usd one way. Thought that was exorbitant. Did anyone rent a car or scooter for the island, how are the roads? Side q, did anyone managed to hike to the top of the main mountain
I rented for a week through Sixt. It was easy to rent, although a slower process than I was used to.

The driving part was fine. We got a little lost but perhaps to be expected.

Thanks!
We got their via Star Alliance reward ticket from North America, destination MRU with a stopover in JNB on SAA.
Old May 4, 2014, 5:41 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Thanks!
Pricing for 2 pax:

- 9k BA miles for DCA-JFK in AA Y (did this because of better EK space out of JFK and also for the 388)
- 200k Alaska miles for JFK-DXB (2 night stopover)-MRU in EK F
- ~57k Virgin America miles for DXB-MRU in EK J (this was the tricky part as I didn't have enough Alaska miles to return back to the States, and they don't allow EK bookings that don't originate or terminate in the USA)
- 180k AA miles for AUH-IAD in EY F

Not inexpensive, but hopefully worth it! Doing the WA Dubai for 80k/nt and StR Mauritius on C&P. I've already been upgraded to a Junior Suite 6 months out...
Old May 4, 2014, 11:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Asiana Club Dmnd (*G), AA plat, Alitalia FA, SPG Plat, Accor Plat, HGP Dmnd, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by DC777Fan
Pricing for 2 pax:

~57k Virgin America miles for DXB-MRU in EK J (this was the tricky part as I didn't have enough Alaska miles to return back to the States, and they don't allow EK bookings that don't originate or terminate in the USA)
This is quite annoying, as I'd really like to go ex Europe on EK using miles.

What were the fuel surcharges etc like on the EK part?

St. R looks fantastic. Thanks for the photos ktjan!
Old May 5, 2014, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by hendricks
What were the fuel surcharges etc like on the EK part?
I don't remember the exact #, but about $550 on 2 tickets, I think.

I'd actually booked economy tickets on HM (Air Seychelles) MRU-SEZ-AUH at about $450/ea, but I refunded them after the Amex-Virgin transfer bonus.
Old May 7, 2014, 3:51 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTT; IHG DiamondAmb; WoH Globalist; UA1K2MM; NationalEE; AvisPC; HertzPC
Originally Posted by DC777Fan
Pricing for 2 pax:

- 9k BA miles for DCA-JFK in AA Y (did this because of better EK space out of JFK and also for the 388)
- 200k Alaska miles for JFK-DXB (2 night stopover)-MRU in EK F
- ~57k Virgin America miles for DXB-MRU in EK J (this was the tricky part as I didn't have enough Alaska miles to return back to the States, and they don't allow EK bookings that don't originate or terminate in the USA)
- 180k AA miles for AUH-IAD in EY F

Not inexpensive, but hopefully worth it! Doing the WA Dubai for 80k/nt and StR Mauritius on C&P. I've already been upgraded to a Junior Suite 6 months out...
I'm an 1k member so I only take the star alliance flights. I have a work project in Joburg for four weeks so I took a flight from Chicago to Joburg via a stopover at Heathrow (about 30 hours on UA and SA flights). There are many direct flights from Joburg to Mauritius (it's only ~4 hours) on SA for about ($600-800).

I used C&P ($180 + Tax) and 10,000 points for the room and the staff at StR are eager to please platinum members and absolutely won't hesitate to upgrade platinum members to the best suites available.

On a side note, I stayed at the Le Meridien as well and they also treated the platinum members like kings as well. I was literally upgraded to Royal Suite, the largest suite (I paid the lowest rate of about $140). People on the island are really friendly!
Old May 11, 2014, 7:30 am

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Here now. Mixed feelings.

+
The hard product is phenomenal. The manor house suite is huge. The balcony is obscenely large and the room is very convenient. The manor house is the best possible location as it's right next to the pool and the restaurants and steps from the beach. The distant beachfront rooms are really a schlep.

The grounds are gorgeous. It's just a visually stunning resort.

-
The CS could use some work. People genuinely want to help but there's some minor language barrier issues for English which is odd. Further, things just aren't that polished. I'm constantly asked what my room number is, etc. check in was a bit haphazard, too.

The pricing at watersports for diving and kiting is close to gouge territory. 125 euro for a 2 hour lesson vs 70-90 at the beach 5 mins down the road. Diving is similar in the markup but I suppose they have a captive audience.

Overall, I feel it's totally worth a visit but I'm not sure it's 100 percent a st Regis in terms of experience.

As an aside, I'm unclear on the tipping situation. We're the 7th American guest there in 18 months according to one employee so our tipping culture doesn't seem to be common. However, I want to make sure I'm not under tipping.
Old May 11, 2014, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Travel Pro
The house cars are overpriced, especially the Range Rover option. I chose the Range Rover on arrival it was my first visit to the island and wanted someone from the hotel to look after us rather than someone I didn't have any connection with... plus it was so easy to do. The bonus was that the driver was fantastic, pointed out things along the way, and even stopped so we could get out at one of the points along the way to take some photos.

For the return, after seeing the other option the hotel has available... what they call the "family car" we took that as it was cheaper and it's great... it's some type of an oversized van, but new and very nice... roomier than the RR. On my next trip I'd just use the family car... I'm sure their are some car services that would be cheaper, but I like the hotel connection especially for the pickup.

There is also a taxi stand outside the main gate of the hotel which I think would be a good option for a return to the airport.

The St. Regis Mauritius is amazing... very special.
Any idea how much the taxi to/from the airport would actually cost? If it's much less than the hotel cars, we'll probably just go with taxi, but if it's close, we'd probably prefer the hotel car.
Old May 13, 2014, 12:06 pm

St. Regis Mauritius Resort, Le Morne, Mauritius [Master Thread]

It's about 1800 MUR or less (~$60 and you can always haggle), much cheaper than the options offered by the hotel. Of course, don't expect it's as comfy as a Ranch Rover/Jag or even a Hyundai. It's an 1.25 hour drive.

Last edited by ktjan; May 13, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.