Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Mauritius Resort (formerly St. Regis) Mauritius [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JW Marriott Mauritius Resort (formerly St. Regis) Mauritius [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2014, 6:22 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
The Duty Free Allowance for Mauritius is pretty generous - 2l of Liquor and 2 bottles of wine per person if I recall correctly. We brought in 4 bottles without any issues.

If departing from JNB, the Big 5 Duty Free offers a very large selection of wine, including some you'd expect to only get at the "cellar door" pretty cheaply. Highly recommended to lower the cost...
Any idea about Duty Free at DXB? We could do that or just hit Costco before leaving DC...
Old Mar 2, 2014, 3:42 pm

Also... any reports on comp Plat upgrades at StR Mauritius? I currently have 7 SNA applied, but I may prefer to use them on Blue Palace (Crete) in July... the difference between standard and suite there is much larger. That said, Mauritius is our "big" 2014 trip, so I generally prefer to use them on the "bigger" trips...
Old Mar 3, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Lifetime TE
Originally Posted by DC777Fan
Also... any reports on comp Plat upgrades at StR Mauritius? I currently have 7 SNA applied, but I may prefer to use them on Blue Palace (Crete) in July... the difference between standard and suite there is much larger. That said, Mauritius is our "big" 2014 trip, so I generally prefer to use them on the "bigger" trips...
I'd be interested in that too, i.e., whether 5 SNAs would be worth using for a late March stay -- and for that matter, if we don't get the upgrade, any views on whether a ground or upper unit is preferable? We got an email from the hotel asking for our preference, and I'm on the fence.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 10:51 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Any idea about Duty Free at DXB? We could do that or just hit Costco before leaving DC...
There is excellent duty free in DXB - although they have more specialization in hard liquors (Vodka, whiskies etc) rather than the excellent wines compared to South Africa. If you were looking for wines, you might be better bringing from home if you were wanting boutique wines.

The main grocery store in the nearest town by St Regis Mauritius had a good international selection of wines - although most were quite mainstream and priced above average.

You might get lucky in checking the room inventory through making dummy bookings on SPG.com. During our trip in November, the property was obviously not fully occupied. I'd guess around 50% full. No specific experience here but I can't imagine this property being full at the moment - unless it's school break or a South African holiday or something.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Re platinum upgrades, we lucked out and our ambassador secured an upgrade to a junior suite months before our arrival. We got upgraded further to a full suite when we had an electrical issue with our first room. My vibe was that they are very eager to please all guests, but esp platinum guests, when the occupancy is low. I think the advice above is good - try and find out if you're traveling during a school break or popular holiday and if you're not, you should be good to go with at least a jr suite upgrade.

Both rooms we had were on the ground floor/on the beach and we thought that was the way to go.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 4:43 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, AC E50k
I don't think you'll have any problem with an upgrade. I'm a platinum and got a complimentary upgrade during their high season (Jan). I would save the SNA.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 8:06 am

Programs: SPG Plat, etc.
Agree with the comments regarding not using SNAs under normal circumstances. The hotel is not jammin as it is relatively new and there is a lot of luxury inventory in Mauritius. The hotel is very eager to please and is especially attentive to the needs of Platinums.

Great memories of our stay there last summer. We loved the hotel and everything about it... my only regret is that it's so far away!
Old Mar 22, 2014, 2:13 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Lifetime TE
At the resort now--good advice not to use SNAs for our 5 nights starting 3/20--we were allocated beachfront junior suite a week before our arrival, and it came through. Occupancy was reportedly 40% on our arrival (per our butler).
Old Mar 22, 2014, 2:31 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Travel Pro
The hotel is not jammin as it is relatively new and there is a lot of luxury inventory in Mauritius.
I think this is a problem facing Mauritius (and the hotel). There are plenty of trendy places right now (Maldives, French Polynesia etc...) that attract more people than Mauritius. Having a new Westin down the road at a Category 5 can't help either. . .
Old Mar 22, 2014, 6:17 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTT; IHG DiamondAmb; WoH Globalist; UA1K2MM; NationalEE; AvisPC; HertzPC
Does the hotel has any free shuttle service to the closest town (for grocery)? Has anyone been there during the Easter weekend? What is the occupancy rate over that weekend? And lastly, does anyone know how much does it cost to take a taxi from the Le Meridien hotel to this property?
Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:52 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTT; IHG DiamondAmb; WoH Globalist; UA1K2MM; NationalEE; AvisPC; HertzPC
Located at the quiet southwest side of the island, this area is definitely different the hectic north side tourist scene. This hotel is one of the few SPG properties that goes above and beyond to treat its platinum members like royalty. I just checked in early afternoon today. I booked on cash + points for the deluxe room and got upgraded to the Manor House Suite (second largest suite) without asking. I even have two in-house spa tables inside my oversized bathroom (which is bigger than my master bedroom at home in Chicago) in addition to a giant bathtub. Criss, the Guest Manager, checked me in at the concierge and showed me my room and the surrounding facility like swimming pool, library, movie theater and restaurants. White sand and palm trees... surprisingly not many tourists onsite even during this busy Easter holiday. Restaurant food is good but understandably a bit overpriced just like any St. Regis resorts around the world. What I really like about this hotel is that everyone at the facility keeps good eye contact with the hotel guests and smiles at the guests. I don't sense a hint of snotty attitude, unlike some other high-end SPG properties. All staff is so friendly and nice and eager to please the guests. I'm usually very picky at where I stay for a quick weekend getaway, but I don't have any complaint on my short stay here so far. I hope tomorrow breakfast is not going to be disappointing either!!

Last edited by ktjan; Apr 25, 2014 at 6:31 am
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by ktjan
Located at the quiet southwest side of the island, this area is definitely different the hectic north side tourist scene. This hotel is one of the few SPG properties that goes above and beyond to treat its platinum members like royalty. I just checked in early afternoon today. I booked on cash + points for the deluxe room and got upgraded to the Manor House Suite (second largest suite) without asking. I even have two in-house spa tables inside my oversized bathroom (which is bigger than my master bedroom at home in Chicago) in addition to a giant bathtub. Criss, the Guest Manager, checked me in at the concierge and showed me my room and the surrounding facility like swimming pool, library, movie theater and restaurants. White sand and palm trees... surprisingly not many tourists onsite even during this busy Easter holiday. Restaurant food is good but understandably a bit overpriced just like any St. Regis resorts around the world. What I really like about this hotel is that everyone at the facility keeps good eye contact with the hotel guests and smiles at the guests. I don't sense a hint of snotty attitude, unlike some other high-end SPG properties. All staff is so friendly and nice and eager to please the guests. I'm usually very picky at where I stay for a quick weekend getaway, but I don't have any complaint on my short stay here so far. I hope tomorrow breakfast is not going to be disappointing either!!

Thanks for the report! Looking forward to November already...
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:46 am

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
What was the airport transfer like? Received an email offering transported in a Range Rover or Audi for between 260 and $400 usd one way. Thought that was exorbitant. Did anyone rent a car or scooter for the island, how are the roads? Side q, did anyone managed to hike to the top of the main mountain
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:14 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by dparkinson
What was the airport transfer like? Received an email offering transported in a Range Rover or Audi for between 260 and $400 usd one way. Thought that was exorbitant. Did anyone rent a car or scooter for the island, how are the roads? Side q, did anyone managed to hike to the top of the main mountain

Dont take the hotel transfer offers, almost all hotels even lower end ones crucify guests for them. Taxis are still expensive, but I would just google transfers in mauritius, i think it is Mauritaurs we used last time but a couple of years ago they were around eu 60 in a jeep. Roads are not great and driving a little crazy so wouldn't recommend a bike. We are planning to split 2 weeks between ex Grand Mauritian now Turtle Bay and St Regis, looking forward to it.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:22 am

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Did you get the impression the island was perfectly safe to travel around?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.