Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Mauritius Resort (formerly St. Regis) Mauritius [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JW Marriott Mauritius Resort (formerly St. Regis) Mauritius [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2013, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by wilsonnyc
I'm certainly no Mauritius expert, but based on watching the weather report a month before and a month after we went (July), it seemed like low 70s, sunny and a passing shower was the normal weather report. In reality, that was exactly what we got and we thought the cool (by Mauritius standards) was actually super pleasant. Yeah, it was a little chilly at night, but it was ideal beach weather for us. I personally don't like roasting on the beach and I probably spent more time than usual on the beach as a result of the milder weather, and proximity of our suite to the beach. As mentioned up thread, going there during that time of year means you get the resort - and the island - to yourself, because the usual travelers to mauritius (Europeans) aren't there.

If you have Delta miles (or amex points that can transfer), I can walk you through the process of getting from US>Europe>MRU (can build in a stopover in paris or somewhere else) in J for 120k miles a head. might be better to explain over PM.
Thanks very much, wilson.

We don't have DL miles and don't have quite enough MR points to transfer. But if we do reach the 120K pp threshold I may well take you up on the offer to walk me through the process.

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
TR I've done August and September and neither are great. I strongly recommend January through early April. This would be a great spring break location. Though be aware that spring break is Easter time in Europe so this place will be swarming with French tourists (lile maurice tres populaire avec les Francais)

Best option for miles are using Delta SM and going via Paris. Both Air France and Air Mauritius under AF codeshare are available. Though availability is a bit of a crap-shoot.

The more enjoyable method would be Emirates who fly the A380 to MRU. You can use Alaskan, Korean Air, JAL miles to book. Availability seems rough though I didn't check many dates (which is amazing seeing as they have twice daily one A380 and one 77W)

For Star Alliance you are looking at SAA from Jo'burg.

I really do like the look of this place myself too and I would personally go if it were in the timeframe I mention and I could get there on a nice flight like Emirates. But my better half has put foot down after two bad weather trips and my only hope now is if I combined it with something else like a tag on a South Africa trip.
And thanks very much for your help again, ma91. We have a lot of Chase UR points, so I might check out the Korean Air to Emirates option - I hadn't been aware of their partnership -of course not making the UR to Korean transfer unless the Emirates seats are available.

I wonder whether the bad weather you experienced at The Residence was because it is an east coast resort, and that coast apparently gets worse weather in July-August. Still, I hear and respect your opinion on this (and on many other matters).

Last edited by Thunderroad; Oct 23, 2013 at 5:17 pm
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:15 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, AA EXP, US Platinum, VA Gold, Starwood Platinum 75, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Anyone also ever stay or seen at Le Meridien Ile Maurice? Trying to decide between the two - Le Meridien is 7k/nightnight v St Regis is 25k/night. Is the St Regis really that much better? True they also include car service from airport (saves $100 R/T when compared to Le Meridien)?
Old Nov 1, 2013, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by A5Globetrotter
Anyone also ever stay or seen at Le Meridien Ile Maurice? Trying to decide between the two - Le Meridien is 7k/nightnight v St Regis is 25k/night. Is the St Regis really that much better? True they also include car service from airport (saves $100 R/T when compared to Le Meridien)?
Car service? Where did you see that?
Old Dec 22, 2013, 4:02 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I've just completed a 5 day stay at this property on Cash and Points.

I've also just put up a comprehensive review of our experience in the trip report forum.

We rented a car from Sixt at the airport. I'd highly recommend this if you can tolerate patient driving as you will have a bit of freedom. There is NOTHING immediately off the hotel property. You will need to drive 10 minutes to get to the nearest town.

The stay was "very good" but the resort still has some teething problems to put it mildly. It seems to have improved based on previous reviewed but is not quite there yet.

The food and beverage was pretty average for the price point commended. There were a few cleanliness issues with our room as well once you scratched below the surface.

Overall - a good to very good value on Cash and Points, made much less of a value by the time you add in the food costs. Our average spend was about $350 a day with food and room rate in.

The snorkelling is also "good" to "very good" and accessible from shore without the need to pay for a boat excursion. There is a rental place (not an actual dive center) on resort that can arrange for dives and kite surfing.

Worth a visit, but perhaps not every year in our humble opinion.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 11:03 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Just booked 9 nights on C&P for late November into December.

Flights are:
DCA-JFK (AA Y booked w/ Avios)
JFK-DXB-MRU (EK F/J booked w/ Alaska)
MRU-JNB-AUH (BA Y/EY J booked w/ AA)
AUH-IAD (EY F booked w/ AA)

For those who have been... Is anything within biking distance? The only thing that worries me is that 9 nights of the same food could get boring, but I also don't really want to pay for 10 days of rental car to only leave the resort 3-4 times... We don't mind biking if a supermarket or local restaurant is within ~30 minutes or so by bike.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 4:48 am

Programs: SPG Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by DC777Fan

Flights are:

For those who have been... Is anything within biking distance? The only thing that worries me is that 9 nights of the same food could get boring, but I also don't really want to pay for 10 days of rental car to only leave the resort 3-4 times... We don't mind biking if a supermarket or local restaurant is within ~30 minutes or so by bike.
I enjoyed the dining at the resort. There are many venues to choose from ... I know that I wouldn't have a problem in that regard. We loved the place and never wanted to leave the resort. If you wanted to get out and head up to Port Louis it will take you about 50 minutes by car... you could arrange one of their house limos to take you (for a fee)... there are also taxis usually available outside the gate (or hotel can arrange). I thought we'd go to check that out and have a meal there... but we were so content at the resort we didn't want to spend the time/energy to do that.

When we were there in August they had just received a bunch of new bikes... adults and kids sizes. My son loved biking around the property but didn't leave the hotel grounds.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 5:21 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by DC777Fan

Flights are:

9 days would be a long time there, but you certainly wouldn't be at a loss for things to do. If you look at a map of where it is on the island, it's out on a peninsula a bit and there's not really a lot out there besides hotels, golf courses, homes, and beaches....I think the nearest "town" with restaurants/stores was 3-4 miles off property. Bikeable, I would think...

We went to Port Louis one day and watched the horse races from the Crown Lodge, which is a private suite with open bar, food, and private betting booth. Not really big horse/betting ppl, but it was a ton of fun and it was a great day away from the property. They picked us up from the hotel and dropped us back at the end of the day. Definitely take a boat (we took a relatively inexpensive one right off the beach at the regis) to swim with the dolphins/snorkel one morning. Great fun.

Other activities I wish we could have done, but didn't. Kite surfing lessons, golf (seemingly lots of great courses in the area), surfing, and scuba diving
Old Feb 6, 2014, 6:33 pm

Based on feedback I scaled it back to 7 nights and added a 2 night stopover in DXB on the way there.

Also saved a lot of miles by booking economy tickets via Air Seychelles website (which didn't come up on Kayak, Orbitz, etc) and booking MRU-SEZ-AUH. Getting *off* of MRU with miles was proving difficult without any more AS miles as routing through JNB with the BA/Comair flight broke the fare to AUH so it quoted 2 awards, and by the time I paid BA YQ, it made much more sense to save the miles and just book 6 hours of flying in economy (~2 and ~4) instead of 12 hours in business.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 10:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
The nearest town (where the grocery store is) is bikeable. Probably about 20 minutes if you're not in great shape. Less if you are an athlete.

Another option is walking / biking to the resorts that are adjacent to the property, although that's probably not a dollar savings.

If spending 7 days, I'd recommend the wind sailing. It's offered on the windy days - which is most, but not all of them.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 5:08 am

Programs: SPG Plat, etc.
The last post reminded me of the free water sports. They have a great water sports area and a lot of the choices are free. The one that filled up consistently was water skiing. I'd suggest heading over to the water sports desk soon after check in and set up what you want for the week for the complimentary activities... so as not to get shut out of some of the offerings. Not sure if you can call the hotel in advance to book.

Keep in mind that for water skiing they put you with a few other people so the amount of time skiiing is limited... ok if you want to enjoy some time on the water... but if you want to do some more serious skiing you can arrange for a private boat by the hour (the fee is pretty modest). We did that to start so my son could get some personal instruction.

The other free activities that you can book are snorkeling, glass bottom boat ride (lots of coral and see life), wind surfing.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 7:53 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, AC E50k
They have a few stand up paddle boards which are fun to try and no charge.
If you want to dive it's pretty reasonable, about $60 for one dive. Oh, and no dives at the hotel on Sunday. We learned that the hard way.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 12:05 pm

FWIW I emailed about a modified half board option since breakfast is free as SPG Plat. They offered 60 Euro/day/person. I've inquired as to what that includes, but it seems kind of steep to pre-pay ~USD160 (++, I'm sure) per day for two of us unless all food & wine is included. Any thoughts? Any way in which we come out ahead with this?
Old Feb 13, 2014, 9:39 pm

I don't think as a Platinum that you'll get your money out of that.

There were several items on the menu eligible for half board. Those on half board are marked with a star (*). Of course, they are the lesser expensive dishes - no steak and lobster and that sort of thing. More like pad thai and things like that. . .

Our meals were about $100 USD for two persons with two entrees, no starters and two glasses of wine. Breakfast buffet (staying on C+P) was $80 USD per person. We opted for lunch instead.

I don't know how the alcohol portion worked but i can't see it working to your advantage with the free breakfast benefit. Just bring some money for food as it's expensive. . .
Old Feb 15, 2014, 7:35 am

Programs: SPG Plat, AC E50k
I wouldn't bother with the half board. We averaged about $80-100 each for dinner with a glass of wine each. The breakfast is huge and you probably won't need lunch. Definitely try the Indian restaurant, amazing!
Also, based on a recommendation on here, we brought a couple a bottles of wine with us to Mauritius and enjoyed some pre dinner drinks on our balcony. So glad we did this!
Old Feb 16, 2014, 10:57 pm

The Duty Free Allowance for Mauritius is pretty generous - 2l of Liquor and 2 bottles of wine per person if I recall correctly. We brought in 4 bottles without any issues.

If departing from JNB, the Big 5 Duty Free offers a very large selection of wine, including some you'd expect to only get at the "cellar door" pretty cheaply. Highly recommended to lower the cost...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.