Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Tambo del Inka, Urubamba, Peru [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Tambo del Inka, Urubamba, Peru [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2011, 9:51 am

Hotel now has its own train station

http://www.hoteleslibertador.com.pe/...n_tren_ing.jpg
Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:15 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
MP question:
For catching Machu Picchu at sunrise, sounds like it's best to do so from staying the prior night in Agua Calientes, no?

Or, is this possible from the hotel?

Looks like the train schedule is good for a day trip there/back, but leaves too late in the morning to do the quintessential sunrise view....

(am in the area for a Friday am, Sat, & Sun, having to be in Cuzco by Sunday evening, and sorting out which night to spend at Tambo and which to spend in Agua C.).
Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
Originally Posted by skye1
MP question:
For catching Machu Picchu at sunrise, sounds like it's best to do so from staying the prior night in Agua Calientes, no?

Or, is this possible from the hotel?

Looks like the train schedule is good for a day trip there/back, but leaves too late in the morning to do the quintessential sunrise view....

(am in the area for a Friday am, Sat, & Sun, having to be in Cuzco by Sunday evening, and sorting out which night to spend at Tambo and which to spend in Agua C.).
For catching MP at sunrise, probably yes. The train from the hotel reaches only around 10am. IIRC, there is an earlier train leaving from Ollantaytambo that reaches around 730a or so, so that might be a possibility. Ollantaytambo is about a 20-30 min cab ride from the hotel. You can check perurail.com for schedules.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kingsubbu
For catching MP at sunrise, probably yes. The train from the hotel reaches only around 10am. IIRC, there is an earlier train leaving from Ollantaytambo that reaches around 730a or so, so that might be a possibility. Ollantaytambo is about a 20-30 min cab ride from the hotel. You can check perurail.com for schedules.
It's obviously a matter of personal preference, but I think being at Machu Picchu at sunrise is a vastly overrated experience. I stayed at Aguas Calientes, got up at a plausible time (around 7 am) and easily beat the daytrippers (not that things were ever overly crowded). Vastly more pleasant in my opinion, but everybody's different. I think my hotelier was a little disappointed that I didn't want to get up at 4 am! (he was willing to fix me breakfast at that time)

I think it's very cool that the Tambo now has its own train station, but it's not really necessary -- and most folks will probably find the full schedule from Ollanta more practical. But if you're in no rush and can live with the limited service from the hotel, it would be very nice to utilize (and save you a modest cab fare).
Old Apr 13, 2011, 5:06 pm

Thanks for the insights on MP at sunrise. I've heard similar and mixed reviews. I've heard it's an absolutely amazing culmination to the experience of doing the 4-day Inca Trail hike, but that if one were to simply do a day-trip there, there are options for a slightly later departure than oh-my-gosh-o-clock-in-the-morning. Have inquired of the hotel as to options as well, awaiting reply.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 5:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
Thanks for the insights on MP at sunrise. I've heard similar and mixed reviews. I've heard it's an absolutely amazing culmination to the experience of doing the 4-day Inca Trail hike, but that if one were to simply do a day-trip there, there are options for a slightly later departure than oh-my-gosh-o-clock-in-the-morning. Have inquired of the hotel as to options as well, awaiting reply.
From recent personal experience on the Inca Trail hike, I can tell you that it really was an amazing end to a fantastic hike. We reached MP around ~730a and the crowds didn't really come in until around 9-930 (and even then, it really wasnt that bad). FWIW, MP was completely shrouded in fog at sunrise when we were there.

If you reach Aguas Calientes by 730a or so (by the morning train), you should be at MP by ~8 (the bus ride takes around 20-25 minutes). Aguas Calientes is a very touristy town that I didnt really care much for, so I would personally favor a day-trip to MP but as said by the earlier poster, YMMV.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by kingsubbu
From recent personal experience on the Inca Trail hike, I can tell you that it really was an amazing end to a fantastic hike. We reached MP around ~730a and the crowds didn't really come in until around 9-930 (and even then, it really wasnt that bad). FWIW, MP was completely shrouded in fog at sunrise when we were there.

If you reach Aguas Calientes by 730a or so (by the morning train), you should be at MP by ~8 (the bus ride takes around 20-25 minutes). Aguas Calientes is a very touristy town that I didnt really care much for, so I would personally favor a day-trip to MP but as said by the earlier poster, YMMV.
Thanks. Yes, would have preferred to do the Inca Trail, but was not able to get permits in time. May just have to play "tourist" on this one. Have heard same re: Agua Clientes.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think it boils down to your personality. Are you a practical-type person, or a "experiential dreamer"? If you're practical, you'll probably want to sleep in until a reasonable start time. If you're more mystical, you'll want to be there at dawn's first light.

Thanks. Yes, would have preferred to do the Inca Trail, but was not able to get permits in time. May just have to play "tourist" on this one. Have heard same re: Agua Clientes.
I didn't have the time to do the hike, so I can't comment too much about it. My guess is, again, it's more "experiential" than fun. And over-rated. Most folks would probably have a better time (and learn more) touring the Sacred Valley for a couple of days.

And there's nothing wrong with Aguas Calientes. It is what it is -- a town built on tourism to MP. It doesn't do a bad job serving this function. I got a couple of very good meals in town (the French restaurant). I had a cheap and over-crowded hot springs soak. I could have done some shopping if I hadn't already seen every Peruvian handicraft. Lodging prices are quite reasonable. I highly recommend a night in Aguas Calientes before visiting MP and, if you're not time presssed, it wouldn't be a bad idea to spend the night AFTER you visit MP. Beyond that, there's no reason to linger.
Old May 15, 2011, 8:30 am

Absolutely the most friendly, helpful, polite, cheerful hotel staff EVER. You can't go anywhere on this property without staff from all areas (landscapers, desk agents, waitresses, etc.) all intentionally smiling at you and wishing you a good day. Two thumbs up (a thousand if I had them) for a fantastic hotel experience.

(ended up staying in Augua Calientes for a night, and getting up at crazy-o-clock in the morning to join the queue for the first bus to the entrance to Machu Picchu, then the scrum for those 400 Waynapichu permits. DEFINITELY WORTH IT. The views not only looking down at MP, but around the mountains and valleys from "up there" were beyond incredible.)
Old May 15, 2011, 8:59 am

Programs: UA: 1P; Bonvoy: Gold; IHG: Plat; HH: Silver; DL, AA: Gen. Member
(ended up staying in Augua Calientes for a night, and getting up at crazy-o-clock in the morning to join the queue for the first bus to the entrance to Machu Picchu, then the scrum for those 400 Waynapichu permits. DEFINITELY WORTH IT. The views not only looking down at MP, but around the mountains and valleys from "up there" were beyond incredible.)
Good to hear how good this hotel is! I'm going down to Peru in 2 weeks and plan on staying at all Starwood hotels (can't wait for some relaxation at Hotel Paracas). Do you think you can get Wayna Picchu permits by staying at the Tambo and taking the first train in, or is staying at Augua Calientes the only option?
Old May 15, 2011, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Zone1
Good to hear how good this hotel is! I'm going down to Peru in 2 weeks and plan on staying at all Starwood hotels (can't wait for some relaxation at Hotel Paracas). Do you think you can get Wayna Picchu permits by staying at the Tambo and taking the first train in, or is staying at Augua Calientes the only option?
I was told that Wayna Picchu take about 2 and half hours from the entry point (which is another 20 minutes from the main entrance if you go there straight). My wife and I took the first train last July and I think we were at MachuPicchu by 9AM or so. Machuppicchu closes at around 4 or 5PM, I think. So, you can possibly go to Wayna Picchu and have some time to see Machupicchu as well. I don't think an extra stay at Augua Calientes is necessary in my opinion... though I would have loved an extra full day at Machupicchu!
Old May 17, 2011, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Zone1
See kingsubu's post upthread.

The "train station" for Machu Picchu is in Agua Calientes, and from there, you either take a short bus ride up to the Machu Picchu entrance, or you can hike up to it. The first bus from Agua Calientes to the Machu Picchu entrance leaves Agua Calientes at around 5:30am, and the line for it starts forming at around 4:30am.

As for the Wynapicchu permits, you need to be in line at the Machu Picchu park entrance when it opens: The Machu Picchu park entrance opens at around 6am, and just as you enter, you veer to the left to the shack dispensing the 400 Wynapichu permits. They were all gone within 15 minutes. The scene at the Wynapicchu shack wasn't a mad scramble or stampede at all, so no worries about getting trampled or anything, but definitely people seeming to simply know what they wanted & where to go, and if you stood there dawdling too long you'd miss it.

As our buses pulled up to the entrance, several did start to stand up and others remained seated (with some saying, "those standing are doing so to get off of the bus for the Wynapicchu permits, whie the rest, still sitting, were just there for the sunrise").

The first train from the hotel, as posted upthread, doesn't leave until 10am.
You'd have to check w/ the Rail Peru website to see if they've got a train that leaves from Ollantaytambo (look on the "Sacred Valley to Macchu Picchu" link on their list of routes) & arrives in Agua Calientes in time. As I recall, there might have been, but it was understandably booked up/sold out at the time i was looking at (I was there over the Easter holiday weekend).

Yes, one can go up Waynapichu and still have plenty of time to enjoy (without feeling rushed at all) a full day at Machu Picchu. No worries.

One other useful bit is that the entrance fee to Machu Picchu is waived for Cusco residents on Sundays, so the place is apparently a bit more crowded on Sundays.
Old May 24, 2011, 1:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Gold, Virgin Silver
Tambo Questions

After the positive reviews here and on Tripadvisor, I'm extremely psyched to try out this hotel. Booked two night for June using cash + points and had some questions for folks who have done stays.

1) Booked a C+P room type of: "Accessible Suite" Is this actually a suite? Is there any reason not to book this type of room?

2) Has anyone take the train from the to Maccu Piccu? I'd be interested to hear a review of this. The website is unclear, is there a train from MP to Tambo?

3) Free Internet: previous posters have convinced the hotel to provide this for free. I'm SPG Gold, will this help?

4) Is it easy enough to find a taxi to back to Cusco or should in advance?

5) Is this worth bring a bathing suit to swim in June, or will it be too cold?

6) Is is easy to walk into the town from the hotel?
Old May 24, 2011, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by captain_starwood
After the positive reviews here and on Tripadvisor, I'm extremely psyched to try out this hotel. Booked two night for June using cash + points and had some questions for folks who have done stays.

1) Booked a C+P room type of: "Accessible Suite" Is this actually a suite? Is there any reason not to book this type of room?

2) Has anyone take the train from the to Maccu Piccu? I'd be interested to hear a review of this. The website is unclear, is there a train from MP to Tambo?

3) Free Internet: previous posters have convinced the hotel to provide this for free. I'm SPG Gold, will this help?

4) Is it easy enough to find a taxi to back to Cusco or should in advance?

5) Is this worth bring a bathing suit to swim in June, or will it be too cold?

6) Is is easy to walk into the town from the hotel?
1) Not sure what this means, but when I booked CP rate, I was upgraded to a two room suite (SPG Plat). You might as well book the accessible suite and hope that it is some sort of a suite. Since you are Gold, it is unlikely that you will receive a suite upgrade

2) No idea about this as this service was not available last July

3) Free internet is SPG PLAT benefit, not Gold. So, you will have to pay for internet

4) It is difficult to get a taxi (you can get it through hotel, but they will probably charge you a lot) so it's better if you arrange your rides from Cusco. I had a tour guide (hired a car + driver) for four days and he picked me up at the airport and drove me to the hotel (and back) + few other sight seeing trips.

5) July was a bit on the chilly side for me, but my wife and I brought bathing suit to swim. The pool is nice enough... and we were able to use the spa area below the pool. I don't think the spa area is included in your room rate (extra charge).

6) Certainly a easy walk into the town, but it's a small town. If you are at the hotel for few days and you are visiting Macchu Picchu, you will be very tired away. Stay at the hotel premise - it's very relaxing!
Old May 25, 2011, 1:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Gold, Virgin Silver
Day trips from Tambo?

As a follow-up, I'd love to know what day trips people recommend from the Tambo. I'd like to visit Ollayantamba, not sure what else is worth doing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.