Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

WN's new reservation system aggressively cancels duplicate bookings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN's new reservation system aggressively cancels duplicate bookings

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2017, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold Med , UA, AS, WN, HHonors Silver, Marriott, IHG Rewards Club, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Often1
Please don't ask people not to talk to you about the COC. That it is the whole point of the "spoiled children" post.

This has always been the rule --- and it is not about duplicate or impossible ticketing, it is about those and anything else WN determines to be fraudulently booked. It has simply not been enforced. Now, it is being enforced. That is all.

As a consumer, you have two options:

> Live with it
> Jump ship

WN is betting that either #1 occurs and that the extra space freed up through less inventory spoilage results in happier customers overall or that to the extent that #2 occurs, it is minimal and made up for by more happy #1's.

We'll see. Maybe people are correct and it was a mistake and WN will run an ad campaign: "We're fine with ticketing fraud - please come back" We'll see !
I'm confident the amount of people who double/triple booked (taking advantage of WN lack of enforcement of double-bookings) were a small drop in the bucket of WN pax who knew how "to game" WN's reservation system. And I doubt that a even fewer of these PAX would stop flying WN because this rule is now being enforced, since there's no other airline that has the same no cancellation fees policy like WN does.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by steved5480
Actually, Southwest is quite friendly to the NON-average amongst us as well.

Economy class seats? Are you CERTAIN you fly "everyday" ?
Did not mean "everyday" in the sense of "I'm a business traveler that flys every day".

I meant "everyday" in the sense of "I'm just a regular Joe that flies a couple times a year for a family vacation, a friend's wedding, etc."
Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
They didn't change any rules. The rule against duplicate reservations has been there forever and exists on the other airlines as well. The only thing that is changing is that WN has new technology to catch this. It's like if the NYC subway previously would accept any coin for entry so people just used a penny to ride instead of buying a $2 token. Then they install new machines that require a $2 token to ride. Oh no now we have to pay? Horrors!
This analogy does not hold water.

All bookings (even the so-called "fraudulent" ones) are paid with very real $$ and very real points (not "any coin"), at the exact price Southwest *chooses* to offer them for sale (in a public marketplace called a "website") when I book them.

When I ride the subway I pay $2, I can take the 1:00 train or the 1:10 train. Sometimes my "intent" on which train to take isn't certain until the last minute. It's my choice and I don't have to worry about massive price fluctuations or change fees. I hop on the train and pay my fair share ($2).

This used to more-or-less be the case on Southwest as well. On many Amtrak regional/commuter lines, it still is the case (a ticket is good for any train within 365 days). Does Amtrak consider this "fraud" in any way??...no, of course not.

The SWA rules have changed. The CoC was always there, but never enforced. Thus the new enforcement is, in fact, a defacto rule change. Their right, and yes, maybe we were "spoiled", but it is also my right to voice concern about a change that doesn't benefit consumers or the flying public.

What's the next anti-consumer change SWA will make?...
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
You can split hairs and rationalize behavior all you like but it does not change the fact that duplicate reservations are not allowed. Period. End of story.

If you want a cheap fare, deal with the restrictions. If you need flexibility, you have to pay more. This has been the case for 40 years, and it's the only reason cheap fares exist. If everyone paid the same fare, fares would be higher and traffic would be lower.

Speaking of trains, one time I took NJT out of Penn Station around 5 PM but I paid less than regular commuters because NJT sold "excursion" tickets where you can leave in the afternoon rush hour if you come back the same day in the evening (lots of empty seats going that direction at that time).
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
This is asinine. A-list gets to standby (a new benefit) at no charge. CP has been around for ages. It's buy-one-get-one-free, which no other airline offers.
You're reciting competitive imperatives. CP is the highest elite level WN offers. Comparable top tiers on other airlines waive fees and put you in lounges and first class seats. CP is a hands-down winner, but since WN can't compete in other realms, it has to be. They don't have airline partners to fly you to Prague on points.

A-list same-day standby came late and rather grudgingly. Corporate flipped shortly after an online travel site ran a piece highlighting WN's verbatim response to a complaining A-lister:

“We regret your disappointment when you were required to pay the appropriate fare difference to fly standby on an earlier flight. Since our discounted fares are flight, date, and time specific, standby travel is not permitted; therefore, you must pay the difference between your discounted fare and our Anytime Fare if you request to fly standby. You see, the incentive to purchase full fare tickets would significantly decrease if we allowed Customers who purchased discounted reservations to travel standby on any flight with seats available without charging the applicable fare.”
The same mindset operates now in a new playground. Nibble here, rule impose there -- but keep everything out of the trade sites.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 11:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Problem is that there is no comparison. Apples-to-oranges.

No carrier allows fraudulent ticketing. That is especially true of truly impossible bookings, let alone bookings which are not likely to both be flown as ticketed.

Free SDC --- Free meaning free --- for top-level elites for ages. Only WN was quibbling with its top-level elites when there was a last-minute empty seat which is all SDC ever was.

Anyone ranting to the trade press about jumping ship from WN or how customer-unfriendly WN is, going to have to point to something other than ticketing fraud for a pointer.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 11:43 am

"Ticketing fraud" is a pretentious caricature.

A benefit of the doubt courtesy is elsewhere found.

Quantas:
"When a duplicate booking exists a warning message is sent to the 'oldest' PNR to advise that a suspect duplicate booking exists and that action needs to be taken or risk automatic cancellation. The system will allow between three business days and five calendar days depending on the PNR type. After this period of time if there has been no reply or cancellation of either booking, then the oldest PNR is cancelled regardless of ticketing status."
Old Mar 27, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Originally Posted by LegalTender

Quantas:
If your argument has now changed to that WN should notify you before outright cancelling your duplicate/impossible booking, then I agree wholeheartedly. Enforcing the CoC is their prerogative, though, and we'll see how it goes for them.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Carpboy823
If your argument has now changed to that WN should notify you before outright cancelling your duplicate/impossible booking, then I agree wholeheartedly. Enforcing the CoC is their prerogative, though, and we'll see how it goes for them.
My argument is that enforcement has variables. Other carriers promote speculative booking.

AA allows seat holds an entire week for $11.99.

"Courtesy holds" during widespread IRROPs are..widespread. With 1 notable exception.

Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond

Qantas:

"When a duplicate booking exists a warning message is sent to the 'oldest' PNR to advise that a suspect duplicate booking exists and that action needs to be taken or risk automatic cancellation. The system will allow between three business days and five calendar days depending on the PNR type. After this period of time if there has been no reply or cancellation of either booking, then the oldest PNR is cancelled regardless of ticketing status."
I know nothing of Qantas. If you ignore them in this case and they cancel the oldest PNR, do you get a refund?
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I know nothing of Qantas. If you ignore them in this case and they cancel the oldest PNR, do you get a refund?
Hard to imagine they'd provide you 3-5 days to cancel if there was no refund opportunity. Otherwise, why would you bother? The direct answer is I have absolutely no idea.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Often1
The COC, as they always have, permit WN to cancel all fraudulently-booked tickets,
I take exception ot calling these types of bookings "fraudulent", while Southwest does prohibit "speculative" bookings and tickets on the same day, those bookig are generally not "fraudulent" in the sense they are not meant to defraud Southwest, in fact if the booking are not canceled by the traveler, Southwest would happily pocket the fare. .
Old Mar 27, 2017, 11:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The bookings would not be prohibited if WN made money off them. Of that you may be assured. There is no rational reason not to cancel one of the bookings and thus the only passenger who does not cancel one of the two bookings is either forgetful or "not smart."
Old Mar 27, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
My argument is that enforcement has variables. Other carriers promote speculative booking.

AA allows seat holds an entire week for $11.99.

"Courtesy holds" during widespread IRROPs are..widespread. With 1 notable exception.
AA's fare hold is a revenue-generating product. I would be fine with WN implementing a similar program if they want to. Most folks here are talking about booking multiple PNRs far out from their trip date - AA wouldn't be helpful then either since you have to decide to buy within the 7 days.

Bringing up IRROPs is conflating the issue entirely. I think most people (including myself) agree with you that WN's IRROPs handling leaves a lot to be desired, including the (in)ability to get protected on another flight. WN is very substandard compared to the legacy carriers in that regard.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 12:06 pm

The simple fact fare holds, grace periods and circumstantial speculative bookings are marketing norms should not be lost on WN's client base.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.