Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Another seat saving hassle and why I hate flying WN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another seat saving hassle and why I hate flying WN

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2014, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I think the answer is to stop paying for BS and EBCI on tight connections.
I think the answer is to start assigning seats in advance.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:36 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I think Southwest is pretty happy with high load factors at decent fares, even though every plane leaves with 140 people .....ing about seating
Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:48 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
I think Southwest is pretty happy with high load factors at decent fares, even though every plane leaves with 140 people .....ing about seating
Exactly why this thread is moot (for at least any wholesale changes) until they decide to cross the evil line and start charging to assign seats. The best of the worst, IMO.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:53 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
IMO, letting their high-value customers board early and leaving price-sensitive flyers to fend for themselves was a pretty good strategy. At least compared to revamping all their systems and procedures for assigned seating.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
IMO, letting their high-value customers board early and leaving price-sensitive flyers to fend for themselves was a pretty good strategy. At least compared to revamping all their systems and procedures for assigned seating.
But that doesn't work if the HVC has a tight connection or their first flight is an hour late leaving and the C group is boarding when they run to the gate (has happened to me when I paid for EBCI). Or for PAX like me who would rather just wait to board if we don't require the bin space instead of sitting on a plane while it boards.

Maybe a good solution would be to have a semi real business class like AirTran and have the first few rows be assigned seating with 2-2 seating with things like free cocktails and a PDB instead of 1 drink voucher and have that instead of business select and leave the rest of the seats as open seating.

I can't see open seating being popular when they start international flights. It's bad enough when I have to have an aisle economy seat flying over the pond, there is no way I would want a middle seat flying over the pond just because my connection was late or because I want to be one of the last to board for a long flight.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Another reason why I thought it was a good idea to save a middle seat behind the exit row is that it would tend to speed up the boarding process -- the people having a seat sved for them could head back, and there would (at the margin) be more seats closer to the front for people to take.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 7:48 am

Seems to me a few years back when Southwest last looked at assigned seating they said their then "new" system could handle assigned seating.ees.

Procedures should be easy. Just copy the Airtran manual and ask the former Airtran employees.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:22 am
Suspended

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing
WN's current system is more than adequate.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Seems to me a few years back when Southwest last looked at assigned seating they said their then "new" system could handle assigned seating.
Seriously doubt that was the case then -- or now.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by LegalTender
Seriously doubt that was the case then -- or now.
It must be true GK said so.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I think the answer is to start assigning seats in advance.
+100
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by joshua362
Had a chat with a single mother last night who traveled with her 10 and 6 year old boys ISP-BWI-LAS and back the same way to see the Grand Canyon. She bought EBCI for all at an extra cost of $75 RT and passed on these observations as a first time WN flyer.

The connection in BWI was 40 minutes and the gates where on opposite sides of A and B terminals. A quick bathroom stop and a sprint later, they arrived well into the late B's boarding making EBCI moot for the long flight but were fortunate to get the last full row on the very back of the plane.

Coming back, she observed a family with a small boy 4-5 yo having to sit a few seats away from a parent when their connection was apparently late. Nobody was willing to move.

We seem to forget that WN takes money and screws people regularly that create seating hardships. Sometimes it would be nice to help out our fellow travelers when we can.
i smell a "BIG B.S." here.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 1:48 am

Family Seating on SW

I know this thread has been inactive for awhile, but I got sucked into reading it and registered just to post.
I've flown SW several times and never had any issues finding seats or checking in and getting a decent BP position. However, this was always when I was flying with a group of friends, so we were never terribly concerned about our seats. So when it came time to book our family's first air travel vacation, SW was my natural choice since we were going to Orlando- the prices are good, the flights are direct and they offer the most routes here.
I opted for EBCI as we are a family of three and we really wanted to sit together. I also thought it would be nice if our six year old had a window seat, since he's never flown and as I've returned to school full time, it's likely to be a couple years before we do so again.
Therefore, I was quite disappointed when I printed our BPs and I received A30 and they were heading up the B group. When we got to the airport, I asked the gate attendant what we could do about that. Well of course the solution was for me to hang back with the B group- leaving the sizable family boarding group to go ahead of us. I also noticed another GA offer family boarding to a mother with two kids who didn't check in until she arrived, and her kids were clearly over 4 yrs old.
I opted to stay w/ my A group. I boarded and you know what? I saved seats. I put my stuff on the aisle and window and took a long time fidgeting with the overhead. Now of course, this ended up being completely unnecessary. When my husband and son boarded, there were still plenty of complete empty rows. And if it had come down to it, I would have sat sep from them.

I ended up purchasing EBCI for the return trip and got even lousier boarding position. So after arriving at the airport almost 3 hours early, we waited in the horrible security line forever with line cutters and rude useless TSA personnel. We arrived at the gate with only about 15 min before boarding. I went right up and said my son is 6, can we have family boarding and they gave it to us. What makes SW think that a 6 yo is more capable of being separated from anyone than a 4 yr old? The age cut off for family boarding is absurd in my opinion.
As you can imagine, orlando flights are filled with families. So much so that the FAs actually asked single passengers to move to accommodate the families so they could sit together. And you know what? They did. I bet that blows peoples minds. Another passenger asked to trade with me actually, and then upon seeing my son, said oh I'm sorry I didn't realize you were traveling as a family. I didn't have to say a word.
So basically I paid 90 in EBCI fees that may have been a total waste. I don't know that we will do SW as a family again, bc if it weren't for the kindness of GAs the flight might have been stressful for our son. Unless you have kids, and I know how annoying that sounds, you don't understand how stressful traveling w them is. And expensive. Families can't afford to pay for BS or the upgrade. If the could they wouldn't be on SW probably.
One person saving two seats for members of their immediate family who are ALREADY IN THE CABIN when you board is not absurd. What's absurd is demanding that you as a single person be afforded one of those seats and that family be split up so you can have your aisle seat. Because your comfort is more import than a family enjoying their family vacation together. And how did the FA find your seat? Did another more gracious passenger move for you?
My problem with SW open seating is that it's not really open. You can pay more to be at the front, meaning that people who DID pay full fare are now being bumped back for refusing to pay a surcharge essentially. And what if more 15 people want to pay the 40 up charge? Is it capped at 15?
Also- I and my husband and normally huge seat saver haters. For movie premieres and things we know will be sold out, we refuse to save seats for more than one or two other than ourselves. And if those people are late, we decide to give those seats up without being asked. We've gotten into arguments with friends and family over it. But I would not give up my saved seat to a single person who just wanted that particular seat when others were still available.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:01 am

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by ACald220
I know this thread has been inactive for awhile, but I got sucked into reading it and registered just to post.
I've flown SW several times and never had any issues finding seats or checking in and getting a decent BP position. However, this was always when I was flying with a group of friends, so we were never terribly concerned about our seats. So when it came time to book our family's first air travel vacation, SW was my natural choice since we were going to Orlando- the prices are good, the flights are direct and they offer the most routes here.
I opted for EBCI as we are a family of three and we really wanted to sit together. I also thought it would be nice if our six year old had a window seat, since he's never flown and as I've returned to school full time, it's likely to be a couple years before we do so again.
Therefore, I was quite disappointed when I printed our BPs and I received A30 and they were heading up the B group. When we got to the airport, I asked the gate attendant what we could do about that. Well of course the solution was for me to hang back with the B group- leaving the sizable family boarding group to go ahead of us. I also noticed another GA offer family boarding to a mother with two kids who didn't check in until she arrived, and her kids were clearly over 4 yrs old.
I opted to stay w/ my A group. I boarded and you know what? I saved seats. I put my stuff on the aisle and window and took a long time fidgeting with the overhead. Now of course, this ended up being completely unnecessary. When my husband and son boarded, there were still plenty of complete empty rows. And if it had come down to it, I would have sat sep from them.

I ended up purchasing EBCI for the return trip and got even lousier boarding position. So after arriving at the airport almost 3 hours early, we waited in the horrible security line forever with line cutters and rude useless TSA personnel. We arrived at the gate with only about 15 min before boarding. I went right up and said my son is 6, can we have family boarding and they gave it to us. What makes SW think that a 6 yo is more capable of being separated from anyone than a 4 yr old? The age cut off for family boarding is absurd in my opinion.
As you can imagine, orlando flights are filled with families. So much so that the FAs actually asked single passengers to move to accommodate the families so they could sit together. And you know what? They did. I bet that blows peoples minds. Another passenger asked to trade with me actually, and then upon seeing my son, said oh I'm sorry I didn't realize you were traveling as a family. I didn't have to say a word.
So basically I paid 90 in EBCI fees that may have been a total waste. I don't know that we will do SW as a family again, bc if it weren't for the kindness of GAs the flight might have been stressful for our son. Unless you have kids, and I know how annoying that sounds, you don't understand how stressful traveling w them is. And expensive. Families can't afford to pay for BS or the upgrade. If the could they wouldn't be on SW probably.
One person saving two seats for members of their immediate family who are ALREADY IN THE CABIN when you board is not absurd. What's absurd is demanding that you as a single person be afforded one of those seats and that family be split up so you can have your aisle seat. Because your comfort is more import than a family enjoying their family vacation together. And how did the FA find your seat? Did another more gracious passenger move for you?
My problem with SW open seating is that it's not really open. You can pay more to be at the front, meaning that people who DID pay full fare are now being bumped back for refusing to pay a surcharge essentially. And what if more 15 people want to pay the 40 up charge? Is it capped at 15?
Also- I and my husband and normally huge seat saver haters. For movie premieres and things we know will be sold out, we refuse to save seats for more than one or two other than ourselves. And if those people are late, we decide to give those seats up without being asked. We've gotten into arguments with friends and family over it. But I would not give up my saved seat to a single person who just wanted that particular seat when others were still available.
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

What was the question again?
Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:19 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by ACald220
Unless you have kids, and I know how annoying that sounds, you don't understand how stressful traveling w them is. And expensive. Families can't afford to pay for BS or the upgrade. If the could they wouldn't be on SW probably.

What's absurd is demanding that you as a single person be afforded one of those seats and that family be split up so you can have your aisle seat. Because your comfort is more import than a family enjoying their family vacation together.
These are the two points in your post that reduce the credibility of other points of your experience.

I do have kids and I do understand the stresses of traveling with them, as well as the expenses involved. Neither of these complaints are the responsibility or the fault of your fellow travelers, and to assume that others should be forced to move or be inconvenienced in order that a family can sit together is inconsiderate.

That being said, I will (and have) move my seat to accommodate a family with young children, but if they display the entitled attitude, it is not going to happen.

Just as a suggestion-next time you fly with your 6 year old, simply line up with family boarding. Rarely will you be stopped.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.