Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at DFW

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2009, 4:13 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport
Original Poster

Cars at DFW

I'm actually surprised (don't know why since I'm the mod here) that there wasn't a thread for this location.

Anyways, picked up on Fri 11/13 at 10pm:

ES was several Mercury Grand Marquis, Chevy Impala, 1 Buick Lucerne (that I somehow walked right by), and 1 Kia Amanti that I took.

EA was Ford Fusion and Malibus mostly along with some Impalas and 1 lone Mazda 5.

Luxury was a bunch of Chrysler 300 and 1 Lincoln MKZ.

Nothing stood out in Full & Midsize.

Just a word of warning for people renting cars here - many (most?) freeways in the area are toll (and quite expensive) also supposedly some of the newer freeways are those that don't accept cash but only use those electronic transponder that you can get when you checkout the car - not sure what the cost is or how they bill you for the tolls since I didn't get one because where I was going I could get there with cash tolls (in about 150 miles - I must have spent close to $15 in tolls).

Last edited by peteropny; Nov 15, 2009 at 4:23 pm
Old Nov 16, 2009, 6:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by peteropny
I'm actually surprised (don't know why since I'm the mod here) that there wasn't a thread for this location.

Just a word of warning for people renting cars here - many (most?) freeways in the area are toll (and quite expensive) also supposedly some of the newer freeways are those that don't accept cash but only use those electronic transponder that you can get when you checkout the car - not sure what the cost is or how they bill you for the tolls since I didn't get one because where I was going I could get there with cash tolls (in about 150 miles - I must have spent close to $15 in tolls).
I believe National rents a transponder for around $3/day plus tolls. If you do not have one, the 2 toll roads closest to the airport 121 to Frisco and the GB turnpike to Garland are cash-free. If you don't have a transponder, they take a picture of the license plate and send the bill to National, which then sends it to a collection agency, which then charges you around $20 plus the tolls about 2 months after you incurred them.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 6:11 pm

Programs: EY-Gold LH-SEN AA-Gold HHonors-Gold National-ES
Just picked up an 2010 Buick Lacrosse from ES. Most others were Dodge Chargers, Impalas, a couple of Kia Amatis and a lone Chyrsler 300C plus my Lacrosse at the very end.

The EA was mostly Dodge Challengers and some Pontiacs. Not a single SUV or crossover which came as a suprise.

My Lacrosse came equiped with an electronic toll card.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 7:30 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport
Original Poster

Originally Posted by openflync
Just picked up an 2010 Buick Lacrosse from ES.
Please report back after your return on what class the 2010 Lacrosse is on the receipt you get. Thank you!!!!
Old Nov 24, 2009, 10:37 pm

Programs: HH Silver,#1 Gold, UAL MP,SkyMiles, ASA MP, AGR, Nat EE
Peter, not to go off topic, when i got a Lucerne at LAX as part of an exchange a few weeks back, was listed for me as a LDAR. :-)

Nick
Old Nov 25, 2009, 7:00 am

Programs: * A
Please report back after your return on what class the 2010 Lacrosse is on the receipt you get. Thank you!!!!
The 2010 Lacrosse CXL is listed as Full Size on the receipt
Old Nov 25, 2009, 8:57 pm

My 2010 Lacrosse CX was listed as a PCAR, with the following next to it "Hope you enjoyed your free upgrade"

All in all not a bad way to use a free car day.

Slightly off topic, but when I dropped it off at DAL, I noticed a much better selection range for EA than there was at DFW. I even noticed a VW Bug.

More on that in early Dec when I do a DAL -> DFW rental.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 7:48 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, HHonors Diamond VIP, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive Elite
Renting next week at DFW, wonder what I might get? EX Elite should hopefully help...
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by openflync

More on that in early Dec when I do a DAL -> DFW rental.
Unfortunately when I returned the choice at DAL was pretty poor. All the aisles were empty actualy, had to wait with about half a dozen other people for return cars.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by zfxr
Renting next week at DFW, wonder what I might get? EX Elite should hopefully help...
Always seemd to be a decent selection of small crossovers.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 7:47 am

Programs: YX Chocolate Chip Cookie
GMC Acadias, Dodge Journeys, and a lot of boxy-looking big Jeep things this morning in EE. All SUVs except for about 6 300s, and I had to pick the only 300 without Sirius
Old Jan 25, 2010, 7:12 am

Programs: UA S/AGR S+/MR G/SW CP/AA Plat
On 1/21, DFW had all of the above midsized/fullsized in ES, as well as one Tahoe, one Suburban and one Acadia.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 8:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, HHonors Diamond VIP, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by BaltimoreZ71
On 1/21, DFW had all of the above midsized/fullsized in ES, as well as one Tahoe, one Suburban and one Acadia.
I flew in on Sunday nights both weeks. First week was a 2010 Taurus Limited, very nice car with all of the niceties and only 600MI! Had active Sirius too. Second week was a 10' Lucerne CXL, nice but the XM wasn't active.

They had lots of Grand Marquis, a few Lucernes, 300's, Chargers and some Impalers in the ES aisle. Overall good. I did see some Equinoxes the second week as well, might try one next time for a change of pace.

In the EA I noticed they had an Avalon the second week, was locked and had a sign "not for rent" on it. Maybe because of the Toyota recall?
Old Feb 24, 2010, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL PLT, WN A-List Preferred, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, National Exec Elite
2/23

Flew in on 2/23 about 8:00 am. About 30 degrees and dropping, it was snowing in Ft. Worth, and snow expected in Dallas...

The Executive Selection Aisle had about 7 Sebring convertibles . 1 Impala, and 2 Journeys.

I wonder how they determine what cars to put on the aisles?
Old Mar 9, 2010, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Starwood Gold, Fairmont Platinum
I have ordered the toll pass service (transponder) at DFW. Do you know if this is something that I need to pick up at the counter or is this something that is retrofitted with the cars?

Originally Posted by zdcatc12
I believe National rents a transponder for around $3/day plus tolls. If you do not have one, the 2 toll roads closest to the airport 121 to Frisco and the GB turnpike to Garland are cash-free. If you don't have a transponder, they take a picture of the license plate and send the bill to National, which then sends it to a collection agency, which then charges you around $20 plus the tolls about 2 months after you incurred them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.