Reload this Page >

[Expired] 50K AmEx MR for Additional Cardholders

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired] 50K AmEx MR for Additional Cardholders

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2011, 1:23 pm

Programs: CO Gold, DL GM, SPG GOLD, PC Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz Gold, National Executive
Thanks Amex, OP and FT...

Called MR and got a nice representative. Asked him about Bonus ID 5721 and he said he could add it to my account. I asked to add 5 Authorized Users as Gold Cards for $45. Only required Name and DOB and was told SSN was not required.
He said the status on the cards will be known in 7-10 days. He said he cant apply the bonus directly on the account but had noted the bonus id in his notes. Was asked to call back once i receive the cards and made atleast one purchase on each card and they would add the points to the account.

Thank you OP and FT.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 1:25 pm

Where to send a message

CodeAdam10, when you sent a secured message in your online account, which subject (e.g. Membership Rewards Program, General Inquires) and category did you choose?

I sent an email this morning and was told that this is a solicited offer

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
After reading this thread last night, I e-mailed MR about this promo before calling it a night. And this morning I woke up with 40k additional MR points in my account! One of my charge cards (green card) I've had for a while and they even issued me the bonus on those older additional cards. My other is a newer PRG. I have said it before and I'll say it again - Gotta Love AmEx!

So yes this is definitely working, yes you can immediately get the points, and yea it probably applies to all charge cards. All you need is a nice MR rep who appreciates your business! I wonder if it applies to Amex credit cards as well?

Thank you once again OP and I hope my experience helps someone.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Happy
This is IMPORTANT -

To sum up, if you have added AU with MR CSRs instead of CS CSRs, it may not be the type of AU you have in mind, especially your MR CSR does not need SSN / DOB...

My sense of this is, of all of us who have to call in to get ID 5721 added, we will not see our points automatically - we will need to call 2 months from the AU cards first purchases.

Good Luck to every one.
I think if anyone gets a MR CSR who is unsure or is starting down the wrong track, just end the conversation and try again. My MR CSR knew immediately what I was talking about and the entire call took about 15 minutes.

Here's my experience:
  1. When asked how they can help me, the first thing I said was I wanted to add authorized users to my account with bonus offer 5721 for 10,000 points per user. I also mentioned that the offer I saw was through membership rewards.
  2. The gave me a quick spiel about it's $35 per cards, but that was anything over 5, and the first 5 were free.
  3. After the spiel, I asked if she had found the offer code, if I was able to get the 10,000 points, and if she had notated the offer on my account. She said yes to all of that. I think it's important to clarify this before proceeding.
  4. She took down the information for the 1 AU I was adding. I provided name, d.o.b. ssn#, but when asked for billing address I said I didn't have it. she said she'd check if that was okay.
  5. I was put on hold for 4-5 minutes. I *THINK* what happened here was that she talked with customer service to provide the information I had given her, and set up the authorized user. From other posts, it sounds like the MR people can't actually add the user themselves.
  6. After being on hold, she came back and verified that I did not need the billing address, and that the user had been approved. The card would be mailing out within a few days.
  7. She explained the terms of the deal, where the user would have to activate their card and then make just one purchase. Points would post 6-8 weeks after the purchase.
  8. I asked about adding additional AU's in the future with this promotion. She said the account was notated and that I could add 4 more users and get 10k points for each one added.
  9. When I inquired about adding AU's using the online tool, she said that I *could* add them this way and that I would still be eligible for the points. But she said it would be best to call membership rewards to add future users so they can make sure it is notated and entered properly. This would avoid future hassle in me trying to get the points credited in case they don't post.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 1:36 pm

I did not need to add SSN #'s and she made no reference to me needing it in the future. Frankly I see no reason why you would ever need one. These AU's are not opening accounts, not using credit, and do not need to be "verified." It is simply a way to "BRIBE" you to use your AMEX more because not only you are using it, but 5 other people have the chance to use it, giving amex more money. The only person needed verification is the cardholder, as they are accepting responsibility for other's spending on your credit.

Also, I don't see them ever using name and DOB to identify identity. Do you know how many John Doe's live in the world with a birthday 1/1/1991? Certainly more than my "father" I am adding. There are thousands. When I asked why I didn't need social, she said "they aren't opening accounts, you are accepting responsibility for that name."
Old Aug 11, 2011, 1:37 pm

No luck here...

Some of you that weren't targeted are lucky. I spent 15 minutes on the phone yesterday with a CSR who repeatedly put me on hold and each time got less and less corteous with me.

Finally she said I didn't qualify, I would never qualify, that this was blogged extensively and many people have called but not everyone is going to get it. Period.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by xieus
CodeAdam10, when you sent a secured message in your online account, which subject (e.g. Membership Rewards Program, General Inquires) and category did you choose?

I sent an email this morning and was told that this is a solicited offer

Welcome to FlyerTalk, xieus!

I sent it to Membership Rewards > Program Rules and Definitions

Just be very polite, thank them for their time, remind them of you being a valued / loyal AmEx customer, etc, and that usually works. HTH
Old Aug 11, 2011, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by roknroll
I think if anyone gets a MR CSR who is unsure or is starting down the wrong track, just end the conversation and try again. My MR CSR knew immediately what I was talking about and the entire call took about 15 minutes.

Here's my experience:
  1. When asked how they can help me, the first thing I said was I wanted to add authorized users to my account with bonus offer 5721 for 10,000 points per user. I also mentioned that the offer I saw was through membership rewards.
  2. The gave me a quick spiel about it's $35 per cards, but that was anything over 5, and the first 5 were free.
  3. After the spiel, I asked if she had found the offer code, if I was able to get the 10,000 points, and if she had notated the offer on my account. She said yes to all of that. I think it's important to clarify this before proceeding.
  4. She took down the information for the 1 AU I was adding. I provided name, d.o.b. ssn#, but when asked for billing address I said I didn't have it. she said she'd check if that was okay.
  5. I was put on hold for 4-5 minutes. I *THINK* what happened here was that she talked with customer service to provide the information I had given her, and set up the authorized user. From other posts, it sounds like the MR people can't actually add the user themselves.
  6. After being on hold, she came back and verified that I did not need the billing address, and that the user had been approved. The card would be mailing out within a few days.
  7. She explained the terms of the deal, where the user would have to activate their card and then make just one purchase. Points would post 6-8 weeks after the purchase.
  8. I asked about adding additional AU's in the future with this promotion. She said the account was notated and that I could add 4 more users and get 10k points for each one added.
  9. When I inquired about adding AU's using the online tool, she said that I *could* add them this way and that I would still be eligible for the points. But she said it would be best to call membership rewards to add future users so they can make sure it is notated and entered properly. This would avoid future hassle in me trying to get the points credited in case they don't post.
I believe your speculation is on the spot - the MR rep you got was more diligent and took upon herself to confer with the CS side to convey the information needed for adding AUs.

I am not sure about whether one needs to go through MR to add AU in order for the bonus posted - I believe what is important is as you said, to make sure the ID 5721 is notated in the account that AMEX would "Honor" the promo even if you are not targeted at the first place - this seems to be the way AMEX works in recent promotions.

With the notation properly done, it probably makes no difference whether one adds the AU over the phone or online - but SSN is definitely needed for immediately process.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA, BA, WN CP, CO, AK, LH, DL, UA, VS, SPG, IHG, Hyatt, Hilton, Carlson, Fairmont Lifetime Plat
My PRG, Biz Gold and Plat accounts have been notated with ID 5721, but now I see that this offer is only valid for card accounts that were opened after 1/1/2011.

I got my PRG and Biz Gold cards in late 2010. Do you think I am eligible for the bonuses?

Also, can I add the same 5 users for each of the three cards?

Last edited by tima1212; Aug 11, 2011 at 1:44 pm Reason: correction
Old Aug 11, 2011, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Originally Posted by tima1212
My PRG, Biz Gold and Plat accounts have been notated with ID 5721, but now I see that this offer is only valid for card accounts that were opened after 1/1/2011.

I got my PRG and Biz Gold cards in late 2010. Do you think I am eligible for the bonuses?

Also, can I add the same 5 users for each of the three cards?
I was under the impression that the promo was valid for Authorized User cards opened between 1/1/11 and 12/31/11, not accounts.

I added the same 5 users to both of my accounts opened last year and was confirmed eligible for promo by CSR.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
I only reiterated how many additional users I have and on which charge card (to make it easier for them.) All of my additional users already exist, I did not add any new users. I simply e-mailed MR to have the bonus applied on my existing additional users, and it worked! HTH
CodeAdam, were the AU's that were already on the account added this year? How long ago, and how old is the account? I send a SM to see if my wife who was added last October could get me the 10k points. I also opened the account in October of last year. They declined me, but in a very generic/canned way saying:

"I am afraid we are unable to issue the points for an existing Cardmember. This promotion is for solicited Cardmembers only. If you were solicited, the points will automatically be issued on completing the terms of the offer."

I called this morning to add one AU and was successful, also getting my account notated for future additons. When I call back to add more users I will ask if I can get retroactive credit for my wife's card added last year. I'll report back later today.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 2:46 pm

I successfully added authorized users last night to my Premier Rewards Gold account last night and had the bonus notated to my account.

I just called back today, since I have the Platinum card also to try and add authorized users to that account and the mr customer service rep put me on hold and came back five minutes later and said that the promo was actually targeted at Argentina cardholders only and that the "mistake" was being corrected now.

I don't know what this means for those who have had the bonus notated to their accounts. Of course different reps often say different things, so you may still call right now and get someone else who says something different, but wanted to pass along that information.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
OK - Just got off the phone after adding 5 addl cardholders to my 3rd account (husband's account - I am the account manager).

MR CSR said that originally the promo was targeted, but since it's been on the internet, they are giving it to everyone.

We'll see what happens, but if it works, we'll have 150K more points ! .....
Old Aug 11, 2011, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Haven't heard this one

I called and got a rep that said he'd heard this was going around the internet and that they rec'd notification from the Corporate Office that this offer was supposedly targeted for Argentinians only. What??

I wonder if they are making this up!

I'll try again.

EDIT: I guess I should have hit refresh before posting. I guess I'm not the only one they are telling this to as vbkamp just posted this.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA, United, BA, Delta, MR, SPG, PC
Originally Posted by vbkamb
said that the promo was actually targeted at Argentina cardholders only and that the "mistake" was being corrected now.
Doesn't sound good.. hopefully they don't go about revoking the offer from those that they already granted it to
Old Aug 11, 2011, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by roknroll
Just talked to a very helpful woman with MR customer service (didn't know it was US based CS ). When I said I would like to add additional users with offer code 5721 for the 10k points each, she immediately knew the offer and quickly explained the terms (first 5 cards free, then $35 for additional for my PR Gold), after first spend the points would post 6-8 weeks later, etc.

At the time I only had one person to add, so I asked if I can add people later and still receive the bonus. She said the account would be notated so I could still add more users, up to 5 new ones, for the bonus. And even though I already had my wife on as a user, I could still add 5 more but that the 5th one would cost $35, since it would actually be the 6th AU after my wife.

I had name, d.o.b., and ss# to provide them. They also asked for billing address of the person and I said that I didn't have it in front of me. They put me on hold for a while and then said it was fine and that I can update it later. The card was approved and is being mailed out today to my address. (also she explained that the long hold was because of some technical difficulties on their end, not because of the lack of the address).

Side note: I secure messaged MR CS to see if I could get retroactive points for my wife who I added when I oppened the account last October. They said no...
Ok, round two complete. This one was a little tougher. Here's the process:
  1. Called MR and told the rep that I wanted to add an authorized user to my account under the offer code 5721 for the 10,000 bonus points. She verified the code and told me to hold for a moment. She came back and said she would transfer me to someone who could help me with this.
  2. Next rep was offshore customer service. She started from scratch asking how she could help me. I explained the same thing and she said she would check on that. She asked me if I had the physical paper offer in front of me and I said no. She asked how I heard about it, and I said a friend of mine had received the offer.
  3. I was put on hold for a few minutes, and she returned explaining that this was a targeted offer and that she checked into my account and I was not targeted. Since I was not targeted, there was nothing she could do to add me to the offer
  4. I explained to her that I had already called that morning and spoke with someone in membership rewards. I said that I had already been granted the offer, had added one authorized user already, that they had notated it in my account, and they told me I could call back any time to add more users
  5. After that explanation, she says something to the effect of "well, in that case I will see what I can do" and am on hold again.
  6. After several minutes, she comes back with *i think* a supervisor from MR on conference call. The old rep says she is passing me off to the new rep and that she will help me.
  7. New rep knows exactly what I want to do without me explaining, and says she is passing me off to a membership rewards agent to add the user.
  8. finally i reach a membership rewards rep (not general customer service) and she takes down my information for the authorized user and approves the card. card being sent in 7-10 days, yada yada yada.

Sounds like they are trying shutting this down unless you got in early on it. Maybe if you get the right person you can talk your way into still getting it. I do not think they will revoke it, as they already notated it in the account and said we would get the points. They tried to not give it to me, and upon me explaining I already added one person under the offer they let me add an additional and receive the 10k points.

The final person who added the user was definitely with membership rewards though, and not with customer service. She took the info for the new user and immediately entered it in and told me they were approved. This time I was not put on hold after giving the information, so I think it is actually the MR person who is adding the user.

Another funny thing: when she asked if I had the person's SSN and I said yes I did, she was VERY surprised, LOL. She even kind of stuttered a bit trying to figure out what to say. I think she's had so many people without a SSN calling, she already had her response ready to tell me when I said I didn't have it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.