[Expired]Alaska Air Visa - 40K bonus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired]Alaska Air Visa - 40K bonus

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2011, 3:48 pm

Programs: All of em...
I used the # in bold below to call about my app, answered some questions and was approved for the Visa Signature over the phone!
I'm excited to apply again in 6 months for number 2

Reconsideration #s…

BOA: 866-421-8153 (App status)
BOA: 800-718-6072 (Credit analyst)

FIA: 888-831-4181
FIA: 866-421-8153 (credit analyst)

Pretty easy card for 40,000 miles, 2 board room passes, & a $99 companion certificate that actually works! Love it.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Around 8 days after approval, the 40K showed up in my account, I got the card and "welcome kit" in the mail, and the $99 companion cert is also deposited in my account, but no board room passes....did anyone get or not get their board room passes with the welcome kit that comes with the card?

Originally Posted by x712xdamx
I used the # in bold below to call about my app, answered some questions and was approved for the Visa Signature over the phone!
I'm excited to apply again in 6 months for number 2

Reconsideration #s…

BOA: 866-421-8153 (App status)
BOA: 800-718-6072 (Credit analyst)

FIA: 888-831-4181
FIA: 866-421-8153 (credit analyst)

Pretty easy card for 40,000 miles, 2 board room passes, & a $99 companion certificate that actually works! Love it.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 7:06 pm

The boardroom passes usually come with the welcome kit. Look for a couple tear off paper coupons.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 1:04 am

Programs: All of em...
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Around 8 days after approval, the 40K showed up in my account, I got the card and "welcome kit" in the mail, and the $99 companion cert is also deposited in my account, but no board room passes....did anyone get or not get their board room passes with the welcome kit that comes with the card?
When I received lounge passes from Delta, Continental, & US Airways credit cards, they all came MONTHS after I got the card.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 9:43 am

Programs: AA, DL
I know most airlines wont allow it, but is this one where you can use the companion cert. when the other person is flying on miles?
EDIT: found it on their site. Will not work.

Also do the board room passes allow a guest with you or is it one per person? I know my brother is a Delta Sky Club member and anytime I fly with him I get to use the Sky Club as well, not sure if just because family or same itinerary...

Last edited by Miss0033; Jun 28, 2011 at 10:02 am
Old Jun 28, 2011, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by x712xdamx
When I received lounge passes from Delta, Continental, & US Airways credit cards, they all came MONTHS after I got the card.
I think that might be the case for the 40K Alaska card now...went back to the welcome packet and looked through all the materials...no board room passes. I know the UA Chase discount ecerts come separately from the welcome packet so maybe that's what Alaska is doing now...most of what came in my envelope was pages and pages and T&C for the Bank of America Visa...only one page (folded into four) of Alaska "Welcome" information with no mention of board room passes.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 3:18 pm

Thought I'd post an update:

I did indeed receive a Platinum Plus (commensurate with the $1K credit line). 6000 bonus miles posted to my account approximately 1 week after application/approval, and the card arrived the same day as bonus miles, welcome packet next day. Indeed, the Platinum Plus still has a $50 annual fee, no companion cert, and the aforementioned 6000 mile bonus. I called in to see whether I could get some additional bonus miles or at least get BofA to waive the fee, no dice. So I canceled. I wonder how fast they'll scoop the 6000 miles out of my account

This has provided quite a contrast with Chase and Citi, both of whom have approved lines of at least $5K for me on no less than 6 cards with the same annual/household income. Oh well, I gave it a shot. On the plus side for those who do get the Visa Sig, the miles post pretty quickly!
Old Jun 28, 2011, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL FO
I have been going back and forth about applying for this card. Any Florida based people found these miles useful? I am guessing Alaskan air doesn't have a big presence down here.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 3:42 pm

EricTheNerd, did you call and request reconsideration for the signature card? Or did you just call and ask for more miles?
Old Jun 28, 2011, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by TTBHG
I have been going back and forth about applying for this card. Any Florida based people found these miles useful? I am guessing Alaskan air doesn't have a big presence down here.
My wife and I both have the card.

I joined MVP since the next few years will take me to the NW on biz and pleasure trips. AS is the only metal flying nonstop MIA to SEA. It is a redeye on the flight back. There is also nonstop service MCO to SEA.

The $ 99 companion ticket is a great deal as discussed here and other parts of the internet.

I am using my AS flying time to get miles on AA. You can also use them for miles on Delta.

I suggest you read the AS thread here on FT. It may be a better advocate than my scribblings to help you decide whether to take the plunge on the card. Good luck.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by HikerT
EricTheNerd, did you call and request reconsideration for the signature card? Or did you just call and ask for more miles?
I didn't request reconsideration for the Visa Sig, I can only take so much rejection! I'm not sure what would have changed since I applied a week ago for them to go from a "no" to a "yes", and I didn't get a good feeling re: BofA's flexibility when they said no to waiving the annual fee. The agent basically said if I didn't like what I'd received, that I could go ahead and cancel.

I don't have any particular ill will towards BofA, and I'm sure there are plenty of people out there with whom they have an excellent relationship (not unlike mine with Chase), it just seems they aren't the right company for me.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 4:17 pm

Ugh, ok. Just hate to see people waste credit inquiries when a phone call or letter to reconsiderations (phone numbers above) could be the difference between 40K vs. 0-6K.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 7:13 pm

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by tondoleo
My wife and I both have the card.

I joined MVP since the next few years will take me to the NW on biz and pleasure trips. AS is the only metal flying nonstop MIA to SEA. It is a redeye on the flight back. There is also nonstop service MCO to SEA.

The $ 99 companion ticket is a great deal as discussed here and other parts of the internet.

I am using my AS flying time to get miles on AA. You can also use them for miles on Delta.

I suggest you read the AS thread here on FT. It may be a better advocate than my scribblings to help you decide whether to take the plunge on the card. Good luck.

Care to point me in the proper direction? I searched for Alaskan threads and didn't see what you were talking about? Thanks for the help.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TTBHG
The only flight AS serves our market is the MIA-SEA flight.

OTOH, AS miles can be used to redeem flights on AA domestically, as well as partners for international flights. You may want to study AS award chart to determine if it appeals to you.

I use AS as a dumping ground for the occasional flights we take on DL. I also accumulate AS miles via other ways than taking on the BofA card. The $99 companion ticket cert could be useful to those live in Northwest but useless for us. In the past when we had the AS cards, we wasted all 4 such companion certs, ditto the boardroom passes simply because there was only the MIA-SEA route which actually was suspended for a period a few years ago when we first had the AS cards.

The issue with BofA is, in the case if you are not deemed worthy in the bank's eye to issue you a Visa Signature, you could still be issued a lower card and a far inferior bonus of just a few Ks. This is the sleazy approach BofA took, versus Citi and Chase would honor the original bonus you applied for, even though you were only issued a lesser card. The benefits associated with the lesser card would be less than the higher grade card but the bonus of the higher grade card is honored.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 28, 2011 at 9:17 pm
Old Jun 28, 2011, 9:21 pm

Companion tickets can be booked for anyone. Offer them up on Coupon Connection if you can't use them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.