Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired]Alaska Air Visa - 40K bonus

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2011, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HikerT
Companion tickets can be booked for anyone. Offer them up on Coupon Connection if you can't use them.
Only if you can trust a faceless total stranger in cyber space because it is still have to be booked (paid) by you first. I dont.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 9:40 pm

Nope, stranger can pay. All you have to do is give them the discount code. Absolutely no risk to you, just good karma. I just verifed with one of my codes in a browser where I'm not logged in to my AS account.

On the other hand, companion tickets have the greatest value when used for first class tickets which are fully refundable. If you paid for the ticket using your AS card you would get 3x miles which is about 5K miles for a first class companion ticket. If you don't get paid, just cancel the ticket. Again, no risk to you, just upside.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I tried to use my Mom's companion certificate and while it can be used for anyone, the payment (ie credit card) had to be in her name...I was not allowed to pay.

Nope, stranger can pay. All you have to do is give them the discount code. Absolutely no risk to you, just good karma. I just verifed with one of my codes in a browser where I'm not logged in to my AS account.

On the other hand, companion tickets have the greatest value when used for first class tickets which are fully refundable. If you paid for the ticket using your AS card you would get 3x miles which is about 5K miles for a first class companion ticket. If you don't get paid, just cancel the ticket. Again, no risk to you, just upside.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dont know your situation. But I was not able to get the stranger (actually she is a friend of a friend) pay for the purchase when redeem the companion ticket - the AS system simply would NOT accept a credit card not in my name!

No idea what you talk about the first class companion ticket - it requires the stranger you "bestow" the certificate to, want a first class refundable ticket .. A wishful thinking may be? How the stranger would trust YOU not to take his money then not deliver (by canceling the ticket) ?

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I tried to use my Mom's companion certificate and while it can be used for anyone, the payment (ie credit card) had to be in her name...I was not allowed to pay.
Thank you for posting the ACTUAL experience which mirrored with mine a few years back. The ticket must be paid by the Certificate owner's credit card.

All may sound good in theory about hawking the companion certificate in CC forum but if it is NOT an actual experience, it is of no help to anybody. A fantasy at best, but of no value to anyone in reality other than yet another piece of misleading information.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 11:08 pm

Happy, research conducted on the internet indicates overuse of CAPS and underlines correlates with being closed minded and adversarial (disclaimer: I read that on the internet so who knows if it's true or fantasy). I like to think of CC as a place to share (not hawk) and am willing to think outside the box, accept certain risks, and even draw conclusions (gasp) that may not be 100% correct but could still be value added with adjustment. Have a wonderful day.

Thanks for the clarification PDX. I've used my personal card to pay for a companion ticket that came with my Alaska business card so was pretty sure it wasn't card specific. If all that matters is the name then one could potentially use an AMEX gift card for the purchase. There is always a way.

Last edited by HikerT; Jun 29, 2011 at 2:24 am
Old Jun 29, 2011, 1:13 am

Programs: All of em...
Originally Posted by TTBHG
I have been going back and forth about applying for this card. Any Florida based people found these miles useful? I am guessing Alaskan air doesn't have a big presence down here.
I'm not from Florida, but my home airport is OMA and we don't have Alaska Air but the miles are still worthwhile to me as I can redeem them on Delta, American, & more!
Just go to http://www.alaskaair.com/ and search for reward flights to/from cities or countries you want to go to this fall/winter and see what you can get to find out if it's worth it. Probably the easiest award flight search I've used!
Old Jun 29, 2011, 6:58 am

Programs: A few
for those of you who may have received this card recently and may have held a similar such card in the past () can I ask did you close your old account first or were you just able to open a new account a la citibank?
Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:27 am

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
I had opened the BofA Alaska card 5-6 months ago, under the 25,000 bonus point promo at that time.

Emailed BofA to see if they could credit the 15k difference as a courtesy, got shot down. Wasnt expecting much, but figured I'd try since it worked for my AMEX recently.

If anyone is successful getting extra points from a previous signup offer, let me know how!
Old Jun 29, 2011, 9:53 am

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
for those of you who may have received this card recently and may have held a similar such card in the past () can I ask did you close your old account first or were you just able to open a new account a la citibank?
I closed mine after I had it for a year...then reapplied....if that helps ya...but many others and its YMMV, have the card and just apply for another...
Old Jun 29, 2011, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Happy, research conducted on the internet indicates overuse of CAPS and underlines correlates with being closed minded and adversarial (disclaimer: I read that on the internet so who knows if it's true or fantasy). I like to think of CC as a place to share (not hawk) and am willing to think outside the box, accept certain risks, and even draw conclusions (gasp) that may not be 100% correct but could still be value added with adjustment. Have a wonderful day.
Different people have different perception. I never ask you to agree with me.

For all the years I am on FT, I can count fingers on how many times I drop by CC. And I do not like what I see for that few times.

Yes, I consider people using CC to hawk for something in exchange for value that can be measured by monetary equivalent. The "good Karma" posts may be like 1 out of 100 and often are for the certs or whatnot that are about to expire.

If I have something to give away I go to the specific forum and do my good karma thing there. Recently I gave a few AA 10% codes in AA forum in this fashion.

I dont think there is anything wrong on "hawking", nor anything belittling, I say it as it is how I view it. It may be worth to some to find ways to generate extra money for things that may go to waste anyway. It simply is not my style. Only those who are sensitive to the word "hawking" would feel the need to defense themselves because they like to view what they are doing being "creative" - despite the fact remains the same - exchange an instrument for some cash or something with monetary value back. It is a transaction - merchandise sold when there is willing buyer and monetary value received - I dont see what makes it different from hawking something on places such as eBay other than the merchandises are travel-related instruments in the CC case.

BTW, the payment on the AS companion ticket cert booking does NOT need to be in an AS card - just need to be a card in the AS account holder's name just so you know when you said you can pay with your AS personal card with the cert earned with business card or whatever. You can pay with ANY card that is in your own name. The key words are your own name in case you misread my previous post.

As for Cap and underlining - I use them for the emphasis of my points - take it or leave it.

People tend to miss points when reading posts - cap and underline would put emphasis on the important parts that requires some attention. I personally find it very helpful if other posters underline the important points in their posts.

I dont care for how others view my internet etiquette - if you have so much time on hand to search internet for the etiquette in posting so you can "win" the posting battle - more power to you.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 29, 2011 at 10:15 am
Old Jun 29, 2011, 10:43 am

Nah, I didn't search for it. I actually saw someone else point it out on another board. Your posts replete with formatting reminded me of that other post.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 6:55 am

Programs: Any program with a credit card, or good prices.
I recieved my board room passes yeasterday. I activated my card on the 27th.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 8:31 am

using the same Alaska Air frequent flier number?

Originally Posted by mrx900
I closed mine after I had it for a year...then reapplied....if that helps ya...but many others and its YMMV, have the card and just apply for another...
Do you use the same FF# for the next CC application? Thanks!
Old Jul 1, 2011, 10:13 am

Programs: AA, SWA, CO, UA, PC Plat, HH Gold, SPG
Help from the experts please - I didn't see an answer doing my search.

I am contemplating getting the Alaska Air credit card based on the current offer - mainly because I am looking at a trip to Hawaii in the fall of 2012.

My questions concerns the companion pass/certificate. Does it expire? Will I still need to have my Alaska Air CC when I go to use it? If I don't bite on the current offer is the companion pass standard with the Alaska Air card - or just this offer?

Thanks

Please disregard the above questions except for my asking about if the Companion Pass is a standard feature of the card. I found the Companion Pass FAQ that answered the other questions :-)

Last edited by bj2757; Jul 1, 2011 at 10:43 am
Old Jul 1, 2011, 10:42 am

The companion certificate expires 1 year from the date issued, but you can book flights farther out - you just need to make the purchase before the certificate expires.

You can use any credit card to purchase the companion ticket (as long as the credit card is in your name ). That said, it is beneficial to use the alaska signature visa to purchase because you get 3x miles on purchase, plus each traveler gets 1000 bonus miles.

The $99 companion ticket normally comes with the alaska signature visa. The only "extra" with this offer is 40K vs. 25K bonus miles.

Keep in mind that you will get another companion ticket at renewal - you get to keep it even if you cancel after renewal and don't pay the annual fee. So if for whatever reason you couldn't purchase tickets and use the first companion certificate before renewal, you could still use the second one for your trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.