Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired]Alaska Air Visa - 40K bonus

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2011, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by philemer
I dont know Barclays has same crappy practice.

Just FYI - For those who intend to cancel in case you dont get the full bonus - BofA has a policy the cancellation must be done within 30 days from the date the fee is billed - and it usually is NOT the statement close date - in order to get full credit offset.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 8:55 pm

Unless crappy credit is the reason for getting the crappy card, my suspicion is Barclays has a minimum income threshold for their better cards. Guessing if you put 100K+ on the app and have credit scores in the mid to upper 700s you'll get approved for the higher Barclays cards.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA, AA peon
Originally Posted by HikerT
Unless crappy credit is the reason for getting the crappy card, my suspicion is Barclays has a minimum income threshold for their better cards. Guessing if you put 100K+ on the app and have credit scores in the mid to upper 700s you'll get approved for the higher Barclays cards.
Not me. Listed 150K. Capital One approval letter said my score was 760 (of course maybe that was before their pulls were incorporated ) Got the crappy 10K US bonus card and it is now sitting in the drawer after one purchase.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by EricTheNerd
Just applied and was "approved" with a whopping $1000 line. This might be an immediate cancel if the 40K miles (and companion cert) isn't forthcoming, considering no waiver of the annual fee.
Signature cards usually have a $5000 min. LOC. Bet you you just wasted a hard pull. What did you list for annual income? Do you know your FICO score?
Old Jun 16, 2011, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by lunettes noires
Not me. Listed 150K. Capital One approval letter said my score was 760 (of course maybe that was before their pulls were incorporated ) Got the crappy 10K US bonus card and it is now sitting in the drawer after one purchase.
Originally Posted by HikerT

Let's keep this thread for discussion of the AS card, please. There's a separate thread for the US card.

Thanks.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:42 pm

I was just checking my inquiries last year when I signed up for this card. It looks like BOA (aka FIA) pulled BOTH Experian and Equifax. I also applied for the business card and they pulled BOTH again. Yikes!!! Reminiscent of Capital One which pulls all 3 bureaus. I'm probably going to pass on this one. Too risky given the multiple pulls and it being targeted so may not qualify for the bonus. Maybe it was just me but I'd wait and see if multiple pulls for BOA/FIA are par for the course.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
So BOA is also getting in on the bonus game. Now if they could just waive the darn annual fee.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 8:25 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Don't forget that the AS VISA card comes with a $99 annual companion certificate - buy one ticket to any destination, any class, any fare, and get a second for $99 (plus fees.) It's great for a second first class ticket to Hawaii. The value of the companion ticket more than makes up for the $75 annual fee for me.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 8:46 am

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
How is the availability for partner redemptions? It looks pretty decent after doing a few quick searches on the Alaska website, but I'd love to hear from someone with first-hand experience.

No spend minimum could make this a very attractive card for me AND the mrs (if the partner availability is pretty good).
Old Jun 17, 2011, 8:55 am

Programs: Lotz
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
I have one and am wondering if I could ask them to give me more miles to meet the new 40k bonus. I have had mine since 2009 and may have received like 20k and so probably not but it may be worth a try?
You won't get far with Barclays or BofA csr's. Alaska csr's may be worth a shot.

Last edited by tassojunior; Jun 17, 2011 at 10:10 am
Old Jun 17, 2011, 8:57 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by Happy
Caution on BofA:

If BofA deems you do not qualify for the offer (assuming it is a Visa Signature requiring minimum 5K credit line), it will issue you a lower grade card and the bonus is slashed.

No bank does this except BofA.
Actually the jack-a***s at Barclays do this too. Got caught on this one with the US Airways mastercard. Only got 10k instead of the promised 35k. Card is now canceled and lesson has been learned.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milesmuncher
How is the availability for partner redemptions? It looks pretty decent after doing a few quick searches on the Alaska website, but I'd love to hear from someone with first-hand experience.

No spend minimum could make this a very attractive card for me AND the mrs (if the partner availability is pretty good).
From what I have heard availability on AA and DL matches what is seen on AA & DL. Plus you can book online.

You cannot mix carriers or book partner one-ways.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tassojunior
You won't get far with Barclays csr's. US csr's may be worth a shot but it's a long shot.
+1, no luck getting my parents bumped from their 25K to 35K.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 9:23 am
xp0

I just read on the Alaska website that their companion vouchers can not be used on reward tickets ... That is too bad. I was hoping this was similar to the BA companion vouchers.

This holds true when booking on partner airlines, correct?
Old Jun 17, 2011, 9:37 am

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
Originally Posted by milesmuncher

Just how did you check the availability for partner awards? I check the routes I know AA and Delta flies to. But, no award to any kind came up.

Here is what Alaska said on their website:

Partner Awards

Partner Awards are valid on round-trip itineraries using any one of our Partner Airlines. Availability is limited, so you'll want to plan ahead, especially for summer or holiday travel.

Partner award travel with American Airlines and Delta Air Lines can be booked online. All other Partner award travel may be booked through the Partner Desk at 1-800-307-6912, daily between 5:00 a.m. and midnight (PT).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.