Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2010, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by electronsi00
2) If it's $1 for 1 mile, does it literally mean that if my destination is 700 miles away that spending $700 would earn me a ticket there? I'm guessing its not so simple.
It's called a mile because if you earn it by flying, you typically earn 1 mile for every actual mile flown (on a paid economy flight). So if you pay to fly 700 miles, then you earn 700 miles.

They can't give you a free flight of the same length for every paid flight you take, naturally, so once you know that a mile is named after you how you earn them (on paid flights), you can see that it can't possibly also be the way you redeem them. The redemption amounts have no relationship to the distance flown, they're done by regions: One amount for domestic US not counting Hawaii, another amount between Hawaii and mainland US, another amount between US and Europe, etc, etc.

(The ability to earn miles from credit cards came long after the concept of frequent flyer miles was first established. So that's why they're named after how you earn on paid flights, even when you earn them in other ways.)

And welcome to FlyerTalk, electronsi00!
Old Sep 11, 2010, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by travelinterpreters
Here is a quick data point from our recent experience.

ME
Have churned countless personel and biz citi cards
own my own company and have always churned the citi MC
tried for the citi visa and made it to page three, then three days later got the email. Since I already had the MC they would not let me have the Visa as well.

Mrs travelinterpreters
have also churned many personal and biz citi cards, but with a different company name each time.
applied for the biz visa in a new company name, was told to call the number to se about progress. Two hours later was approved with a 13K limit.

What do you all think bout CX the biz card I have now and trying again?
Why kind of questions do they ask you when you call in about the Business card? I applied for one for my wife and it said to call if she wanted an instant decision, but she hates this whole game but will very reluctantly call, so I don't want her to get blindsided with questions she won't know off the top of her head

Last edited by nic3456; Sep 12, 2010 at 12:46 pm
Old Sep 12, 2010, 6:10 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, DL KM, AA, AVIS First
Just an update.

Received my 50/50 card on 8-9-10, made a purchase immediately. statement closed 8-11-10. No points posted to my account. Account closed again 9-10-10, received statement 9-12-10, checked and all points are posted from the past two statements, and my 50k bonus as well.

Now to just iron out this address confirmation for the business card.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by lkar
So, I have existing citi AA cards -- business and personal. Both were acquired earlier this year with 30+5k bonuses. I gave it a shot on the Amex for this bonus but was denied last month with the "this is for first time card users only." In reading through a signficant amount of the thread, I'm not finding any examples of anyone who was able to undo that determination. Just curious whether I missed anything. Anybody have any suggestions to increase the odds and whether there is a possibility of taking a second chance before the promo is over?
lkar, I don't think there is a way around this. I am in the same boat. I cancelled my cards to start the 15/18 months reset so I'll be ok for the next round which hopefully comes in 15/18 months. If someone has comments/input or a workaround, please do let us know.

Thanks, in advance.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 8:59 am

I applied for this card and got the rejection that this is for "first time" applicants. Are you stating that I would've receive the credit card had I canceled my AA Visa about 15 - 18 months ago as a way around the "first time" applicant? I've had an AA credit card in some form or fashion probably for well over 7 years now.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 9:05 am

Hello all, just had a couple questions. I'm new to this site and am planning on getting a credit card for the first time and wanted to find out a couple things before I took the dive.

I read through about 40-50 pages of this forum, but was wondering if it is still possible to obtain the Personal Visa/Amex at the same time and to receive the 75,000 miles for each card (so long as I apply for both at the same time).

Second, and most importantly, I was wondering how my credit is affected if I were to, say, cancel my card within 10-11 months of having the card(s). I am even willing to have it for the second year and pay the fees, but after that it would be a little bit more difficult on me due to the annual fees. I googled this question a little bit and all the answers I found were that cancelling a credit card for any reason will hurt your credit, which is the exact reason I am getting a card in the first place (to start building one.)

If any one had some knowledge in regards to these two questions, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Old Sep 12, 2010, 9:33 am

Nic--re post 1682---when the Mrs applied, did she use a different business EIN each time, or just her own social # ?
Old Sep 12, 2010, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Mahalo
Are you stating that I would've receive the credit card had I canceled my AA Visa about 15 - 18 months ago as a way around the "first time" applicant?
Yes, that's how I understand the process. But someone please verify or correct me if I am wrong.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 11:12 am

I just apply and receive 2 personal AA citi cards visa and American Express for 150K. I also just got an offer by mail to get a new visa from citi with an invitation number for 50k miles. My question is should I go for this visa (which is $50 annual fee after first year) after I already just got 2 personal cards or I have no chance?
Old Sep 12, 2010, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by best
Nic--re post 1682---when the Mrs applied, did she use a different business EIN each time, or just her own social # ?
She used her own social #. In total she only applied for this 1 business card this go around (she got the personal Visa back in April)
Old Sep 12, 2010, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Delta Gold, Bonvoy Titanium (LT Platinum), Hyatt Globalist, iPrefer Elite
Originally Posted by miguel0881
I received this e-mail this afternoon. I previously had the Citi AA Mastercard, but closed it some time back. Would I still qualify as a "new customer" for this offer?
I've had a Citi AA mastercard for many years, both personally and one for business... and when my daughters got emails with the 100K offer a few weeks ago, I clicked through the link and applied for a Citi AA Amex in my name, a Citi VISA in my wife's name and a Citi Visa in the business name, and all three were approved and issued for a total of 300K bonus miles...
Old Sep 12, 2010, 1:54 pm

The miles for both cards I got during the first week of August posted to my account:

09/09/10 CITICARD BONUS MILES 0 75,000 75,000
09/09/10 CITICARD BONUS MILES 0 50,000 50,000
Old Sep 12, 2010, 5:05 pm

I just noticed that the cc applications that both my husband and I received through the mail (75k miles on AA) is $50 per year with the first year free, but the one I applied for online via this site is for $85 per year.

Anyone else in this situation? Not a huge amount but still.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 6:32 pm

Programs: aa
Originally Posted by nic3456
Why kind of questions do they ask you when you call in about the Business card? I applied for one for my wife and it said to call if she wanted an instant decision, but she hates this whole game but will very reluctantly call, so I don't want her to get blindsided with questions she won't know off the top of her head

We are in the same boat! My wife hates the game to, so every time we have to call, I get the agent on the phone and say, " here is my wife, she is going to give you permission to talk to me" and that's all she usually says besides the normal security questions.

When we called this time, they didn't even ask any questions about the biz. Out of curiosity the agent asked me what language we interpret, but that was it. She basically put me on hold for two mins and came back and she was approved.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by travelinterpreters
We are in the same boat! My wife hates the game to, so every time we have to call, I get the agent on the phone and say, " here is my wife, she is going to give you permission to talk to me" and that's all she usually says besides the normal security questions.

When we called this time, they didn't even ask any questions about the biz. Out of curiosity the agent asked me what language we interpret, but that was it. She basically put me on hold for two mins and came back and she was approved.
That's a good idea! I'll have to see if they will let her give me permission to talk to them, it would make it easier on both of us! Btw, I just checked the automated system and she was approved late Saturday (I applied Friday night after hours). I didn't call or anything!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.