Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2016, 5:52 am

Programs: Not yet
I've read a lot before posting

Last edited by EklaEpic; Jul 26, 2016 at 5:56 am Reason: double post
Old Jul 26, 2016, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by EklaEpic
Is it possible to dump TK CDG-JFK in feburary 17 BF 15$ ?
At the best case you will be pointed to read the wiki (top) of this thread. Here, This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?". Then the question about your reading of fare rules where you can find that TK usually is allowed to be combined with only... TK. You can count on so called self dumps which actually sometimes happen...

But: There is Norwegian Shuttle at a very good price, however one day earlier, i.e. 16-23 Feb for 274 EUR. You can fly it one way as well for 155 EUR
Old Jul 26, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: Bit of this, bit of that
Originally Posted by EklaEpic
Hi,

Is it possible to dump TK CDG-JFK in feburary 17 BF 15$ ?
No.

But with prices the way they are just buy a normal ticket.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:20 am

The new updated price - how was this special? Wasn't it a simple one way on an airline from iceland? Was the trick knowing Icelandic and paying in krona? I don't get it....
Old Jul 26, 2016, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by made_by_hugo
I don't get it....
Perhaps your problem is that you have mixed up threads here. This is "trick it" thread, not "cheap flight" thread. I do not advertise here Iceland Air, Norwegian, Eurowings etc. They quite often have very competitive prices (but: with no checked in luggage, no food etc). It is also quite often that cheap flights are from Scandinavian countries where positioning flight and (very often) the overnight stay for the flight on the next day kills completely the deal.

The airport does matter. Perhaps you are so smart and able to find untricked return flight from C1 to my city (KRK) or vice versa for about $250, if this is the case, I would be more than happy if you pm me, really! What matters after all, is knowledge. I do not need to fly all tricked routes, by finding them I get more and more experience and know how for the future. This is the goal.

Wasn't it a simple one way...
Do you know what RT AI means?
Old Jul 26, 2016, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by man4business
Perhaps your problem is that you have mixed up threads here. This is "trick it" thread, not "cheap flight" thread. I do not advertise here Iceland Air, Norwegian, Eurowings etc. They quite often have very competitive prices (but: with no checked in luggage, no food etc). It is also quite often that cheap flights are from Scandinavian countries where positioning flight and (very often) the overnight stay for the flight on the next day kills completely the deal.

The airport does matter. Perhaps you are so smart and able to find untricked return flight from C1 to my city (KRK) or vice versa for about $250, if this is the case, I would be more than happy if you pm me, really! What matters after all, is knowledge. I do not need to fly all tricked routes, by finding them I get more and more experience and know how for the future. This is the goal.

Do you know what RT AI means?
I was talking about the other price that was posted c2-c1 above. I guess it was deleted and didn't make it to my quote. Oh well.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 12:42 pm
Suspended

You can buy a legit ticket on DY East Coast to KRK for 479 bucks R.T.
Yet you wanna do this trick to Krakow for about 200 less.
Of course, you don't tell noobs where the 1x is. To position across the vast ocean costs more than 200 bucks. So you're not exactly saving since skipping is not optional.
Which makes me wonder why people still posts these things when legit fares are already so cheap today.
What game are some people playing here? I prefer pokemon go.

Last edited by Igetit; Jul 26, 2016 at 1:52 pm Reason: added legit clarity
Old Jul 26, 2016, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Igetit
What game are some people playing here?
Well, I have explained my point of view - what matters after all, knowledge + practice = experience. What do you want me to explain, perhaps besides the fact that you do not like anyone posting here?
To position across the vast ocean costs more than 200 bucks.
Some people travel a lot. Once they know what is possible in a distant country, they fly what is necessary and have a bonus for the future. The more possibilities, the more cheap flights. That's why it is worth knowing...

Last edited by man4business; Jul 26, 2016 at 2:34 pm
Old Jul 26, 2016, 3:20 pm
formerly chrisbarnett01

Originally Posted by man4business
Some people travel a lot. Once they know what is possible in a distant country, they fly what is necessary and have a bonus for the future. The more possibilities, the more cheap flights. That's why it is worth knowing...

This.

When I travel internationally I take lots of oddball side trips. Some involve short flights. If they work as a 1x for some future tricked flight, and fit into my travel plans? That's two birds, one stone.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 5:26 pm

Programs: Bit of this, bit of that
Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
C2-C4-NYC $251.25 All-in

Originally Posted by Hairbus380
When I travel internationally I take lots of oddball side trips. Some involve short flights. If they work as a 1x for some future tricked flight, and fit into my travel plans? That's two birds, one stone.
Smart man.

C2-Amazonas -NYC $251.25 All-in

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Jul 27, 2016 at 10:48 am
Old Jul 27, 2016, 9:51 pm

Total novice here. After reading 30 or so pages I started playing around with the Matrix and managed to knock $20 off a flight with a $580 YQ and $25 base fares. Even that was fun...I can see how this could be addicting!
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:00 pm

Question JFK-SOF dumpable examples?

Been lurking on this forum for a while and playing with fares every now and then. Recently saw low base fares on TK and LO from JFK-SOF for September and Oct. with humongous YQ/YRs, but still not finding good 1x/3xs. I've read different opinions on if TK is dumpable, but the fare rules verbage is throwing me off:

END-ON-END
END-ON-END COMBINATIONS PERMITTED WITH FARES WITHIN THE
UNITED STATES. VALIDATE ALL FARE COMPONENTS. SIDE TRIPS
PERMITTED.
END-ON-END COMBINATIONS PERMITTED WITH TK DOMESTIC/
INTERNATIONAL FARES. VALIDATE ALL FARE COMPONENTS. SIDE
TRIPS PERMITTED.

Are both paragraphs either-or situations or does the 1x/3x potentially have to meet both criteria?

Then LO gives:
END-ON-END
END-ON-END COMBINATIONS PERMITTED WITH DOMESTIC FARES.
VALIDATE ALL FARE COMPONENTS. SIDE TRIPS PERMITTED.

Does this mean that the 1x or 3x has to be domestic from either the origin or destinations

Not looking for handouts, just some hints and guidance. Again, getting conflicting ideas on what these really mean...
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:40 pm

Programs: LifeMiles
Originally Posted by cowmanJK
Been lurking on this forum for a while and playing with fares every now and then. Recently saw low base fares on TK and LO from JFK-SOF for September and Oct. with humongous YQ/YRs, but still not finding good 1x/3xs. I've read different opinions on if TK is dumpable, but the fare rules verbage is throwing me off:

END-ON-END
END-ON-END COMBINATIONS PERMITTED WITH FARES WITHIN THE
UNITED STATES. VALIDATE ALL FARE COMPONENTS. SIDE TRIPS
PERMITTED.
END-ON-END COMBINATIONS PERMITTED WITH TK DOMESTIC/
INTERNATIONAL FARES. VALIDATE ALL FARE COMPONENTS. SIDE
TRIPS PERMITTED.

Are both paragraphs either-or situations or does the 1x/3x potentially have to meet both criteria?

Then LO gives:
END-ON-END
END-ON-END COMBINATIONS PERMITTED WITH DOMESTIC FARES.
VALIDATE ALL FARE COMPONENTS. SIDE TRIPS PERMITTED.

Does this mean that the 1x or 3x has to be domestic from either the origin or destinations

Not looking for handouts, just some hints and guidance. Again, getting conflicting ideas on what these really mean...
NYC-SOF R/t all in $270. No tricks. Wide availability.

As far as I know TK is very difficult to dump.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by lazyalpacawithwings
NYC-SOF R/t all in $270. No tricks. Wide availability.

As far as I know TK is very difficult to dump.
Hint: it's all over the blogs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.