Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] UA: EWR-Europe from $370 return

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 23, 2013, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: boxo
As indicated in the thread title, this deal is now dead.

How do I manage my itinerary/check my booking/select seats?

Note that the displayed receipt will be incorrect ($5 higher than actual) owing to a programming error. The taxes/fees shown includes the original $5 WF booking fee. Do not worry about this; it does not change the amount you are actually billed.
How many miles will I earn on United from my flight?
Here's the UA master page listing airline partners. If you click on a partner logo, you'll see a page containing a chart showing the yield for flights taken on partner metal. (It even says explicitly that it's the metal that counts: "The award miles accrued on codeshare flights are based on the operating carrier and their equivalent fare class.")

MileagePlus (UA) earning charts for
Will I do better if I credit to another *A carrier instead?
Maybe.

Miles&More (LH, LX,...) earning charts for
  • United Airlines (UA) (K, L, T fares earn 50%, 25% for flights in 2014)
  • Lufthansa (LH) (K, L, T fares earn 50% for TATL flights in 2013, 25% for TATL flights in 2014)
  • Swiss (LX) (K, L, T fares earn 50% for TATL flights in 2013, 25% for TATL flights in 2014)
  • Air Canada (AC) (K, L, T fares earn 50% for TATL flights in 2013, 25% for TATL flights in 2014)

Here's the master list of partner earning charts for Aegean (A3) and here's the list for Turkish Airlines (TK).
Are there other FlyerTalk members flying when I am?
Quite possibly! There is a meetup thread on the CommunityBuzz forum. Post if you would like to participate.
Travel reports
Booking/ticketing reports, now largely academic, may be viewed in the wiki history.

Please report below any completed flights and/or difficulties encountered (checking in, boarding, etc.) that appear related to the booking circumstances.
  • Post #2428 reported arriving in STR on 11/28/13 with no problems.
  • Post #2670 reported arriving in MXP on 12/1/13 with no problems.
  • Post #2680 reported traveling EWR-MXP on 12/1/13 with no problems.
Print Wikipost

[FARE GONE] UA: EWR-Europe from $370 return

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2014, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by dedeson
Since there's only one United flight a day from MXP to EWR, I am sure how I can do SDC given the 24 hours rules. Thanks a lot.
Technically, you cannot. If you encounter a very lenient agent at the MXP airport, you might have luck pushing the SDC rule by an hour or two.

Note that others have reported issues with their itineraries after SDCing. If an agent helps you SDC, I would assume they would clean up the record; if you use the website or app (which you won't be able to do due to the 24-hour rule), you risk having issues with the PNR and ticket not matching and causing problems.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 5:11 pm

Just boarded my flight booked on wideroe: EWR-FRA-VCE

No issues to report. Checked my bags all the way through, got my FRA-VCE LH boarding pass as well.

My friend booked EWR-BCN for tomorrow. She tried to change it to today due to the incoming weather. The agent wanted to charge a $1100 fare difference. I thought that was also waived with the special weather statement issues by United. Didn't get full details on whether it was a different carrier with a united flight number or something. Just a heads up before others attempt weather related flight changes.

Safe trip to everyone!
Old Feb 12, 2014, 6:35 pm

As another data point, with the current travel waiver, I was able to change my EWR-MXP flight tomorrow on my second attempt. It was reissued on 016 stock.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
Here's an interesting question, for me at least: Wideroe's has some affiliation with SK, correct? So, if my UA EWR-ARN flight has issues, but SK's does not, they would conceivably be amenable to swithcing me to SK, no?
If your UA EWR-ARN flight has issues on the day of flight, it's UA's problem. And I'm sure you can request to be moved to the SK flight.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 12:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
My UA ticket booked by wideroe to Dubai got no issue.
SFO-FRA-DXB-IAD-SFO , 3 UA legs + 1 LH leg, stayed 5 nights in Dubai.
Checked in luggage all the way.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 1:23 am

My flight to EWR was cancelled due to the weather (but not EWR-LIS), so I tried rebooking through United. They told me (after about a grand total of 100 minutes on hold) that "this carrier is not authorized to write tickets for United", that this was an "unauthorized use of ticket stock," and cancelled my tickets (united.com now reads ! Your itinerary cannot be retrieved because it has been canceled. You may use the remaining value of your ticket toward a new flight by selecting the "Change Flight" link below. A change fee may apply.). What in the world?

?? Currently talking to wideroe about it.

EDIT: Wideroe's web support team quickly rebooked me. It's the same confirmation number. I'm heading to sleep.

Last edited by bppcomplete; Feb 13, 2014 at 1:28 am
Old Feb 13, 2014, 6:45 am

Programs: AC*G, UA*G
Looking for thoughts.

I was suppose to fly YYZ-EWR-ARN today. I checked in yesterday and printed boarding passes. The YYZ-EWR flight is now cancelled and I'm rescheduled for tomorrow in the system. I would prefer to fly today. If I go to YYZ in person is there any chance united will protect me on an AC/LH direct flight to a european gateway then connect to ARN?

Last edited by jfoley; Feb 13, 2014 at 7:06 am
Old Feb 13, 2014, 7:19 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by jfoley
Looking for thoughts.

I was suppose to fly YYZ-EWR-ARN today. I checked in yesterday and printed boarding passes. The YYZ-EWR flight is now cancelled and I'm rescheduled for tomorrow in the system. I would prefer to fly today. If I go to YYZ in person is there any chance united will protect me on an AC/LH direct flight to a european gateway then connect to ARN?
I'm on the ARN flight as well, holding my breath.

You might have luck routing through ORD on SK as well, but it can't hurt to head to the airport provided it's not a huge inconvenience.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 7:41 am

Programs: UA 2 MM, UA 1K
My EWR-MUC is still showing on time for today. The plan arrived yesterday so maybe that helps. It looks like they are planning/hoping to let flights go during the late afternoon-early evening. Hope the weather cooperates.

It is now 2 hours later and we have about 10" of snow about 35 mins west of airport. My flight is still not canceled. UA will not change the ticket unless the flight gets canceled. I asked them to put some kind of note in the record OK'ing flight changes so that when I contact Wideroe they maybe will rebook me on tomorrow's flight. They were not cooperative last time.

Last edited by dogloverjb; Feb 13, 2014 at 9:23 am Reason: updated
Old Feb 13, 2014, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by jfoley
Looking for thoughts.

What airline's metal was your YYZ-EWR flight?

When I talked to AC yesterday, they wouldn't put me on other metal, but they switched my AC flight from LGA to DCA (i'm based here in Washington)...so, if you were on AC metal down from Toronto, i'm guessing AC would put you on a direct flight to Europe, but if you were on UA, try calling them, and if they don't budge, call back - some reports from UA here are promising!

-jeremy
Old Feb 13, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: UA 2 MM, UA 1K
FINALLY UA took control of my ticket and rebooked me on tomorrow's non-stop EWR-MXP. And not only that, she grabbed the last 2 seats for me, which were business-first, since I had upgraded with copay + miles. I'm very happy with this resolution especially since it was agonizing to get there. Now to change hotels and everything else. And get the snow shoveled.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott
Originally Posted by dogloverjb
FINALLY UA took control of my ticket and rebooked me on tomorrow's non-stop EWR-MXP. And not only that, she grabbed the last 2 seats for me, which were business-first, since I had upgraded with copay + miles. I'm very happy with this resolution especially since it was agonizing to get there. Now to change hotels and everything else. And get the snow shoveled.
Good job! - I did this MR two weeks ago and enjoyed the non-stop EWR-MXP-EWR flights. Hopefully you won't have a rainy weekend like I did. Enjoy your trip.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Nikongirl
Good job! - I did this MR two weeks ago and enjoyed the non-stop EWR-MXP-EWR flights. Hopefully you won't have a rainy weekend like I did. Enjoy your trip.
Weather in Milan today was sunny and gorgeous. Unfortunately, it's supposed to rain more or less nonstop for the next two or three days.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Nikongirl
Raining mostly nonstop here is LIS, too. And we gave them 8 days' worth of travel to get the rain out!
Old Feb 14, 2014, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold
I'm having a great time here in Milan. My girlfriend and I checked in very early for our 13:10 LGA-YUL flight and got put on standby for a 10:00 which we made and were moved up to E+ (which is nice when you're 6'4"!). Our YUL-FRA was nearly empty so we both grabbed a middle row and slept. Here's hoping to more two days of good weather.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.