Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] UA: EWR-Europe from $370 return

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 23, 2013, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: boxo
As indicated in the thread title, this deal is now dead.

How do I manage my itinerary/check my booking/select seats?

Note that the displayed receipt will be incorrect ($5 higher than actual) owing to a programming error. The taxes/fees shown includes the original $5 WF booking fee. Do not worry about this; it does not change the amount you are actually billed.
How many miles will I earn on United from my flight?
Here's the UA master page listing airline partners. If you click on a partner logo, you'll see a page containing a chart showing the yield for flights taken on partner metal. (It even says explicitly that it's the metal that counts: "The award miles accrued on codeshare flights are based on the operating carrier and their equivalent fare class.")

MileagePlus (UA) earning charts for
Will I do better if I credit to another *A carrier instead?
Maybe.

Miles&More (LH, LX,...) earning charts for
  • United Airlines (UA) (K, L, T fares earn 50%, 25% for flights in 2014)
  • Lufthansa (LH) (K, L, T fares earn 50% for TATL flights in 2013, 25% for TATL flights in 2014)
  • Swiss (LX) (K, L, T fares earn 50% for TATL flights in 2013, 25% for TATL flights in 2014)
  • Air Canada (AC) (K, L, T fares earn 50% for TATL flights in 2013, 25% for TATL flights in 2014)

Here's the master list of partner earning charts for Aegean (A3) and here's the list for Turkish Airlines (TK).
Are there other FlyerTalk members flying when I am?
Quite possibly! There is a meetup thread on the CommunityBuzz forum. Post if you would like to participate.
Travel reports
Booking/ticketing reports, now largely academic, may be viewed in the wiki history.

Please report below any completed flights and/or difficulties encountered (checking in, boarding, etc.) that appear related to the booking circumstances.
  • Post #2428 reported arriving in STR on 11/28/13 with no problems.
  • Post #2670 reported arriving in MXP on 12/1/13 with no problems.
  • Post #2680 reported traveling EWR-MXP on 12/1/13 with no problems.
Print Wikipost

[FARE GONE] UA: EWR-Europe from $370 return

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2014, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by topcat_dcx
I am not asking for your opinion on my over-entitledness. I am simply asking if the receipt and ticket/BP show Y, wouldn't the miles have posted Y? And kindly refrain from passing judgement. Don't forget the times folks (including yourself) may have SDC'd to take advantage of this or others (e.g. applying GPU after WX posts to Y etc etc...)
UA keeps track of the "Correct" booking class when changes like this are made. You received the correct point amount. You can request whatever you want but expect your request to be denied.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 8:40 pm

Programs: United, Southwest, Frontier, Chase UR, Hyatt
Thanks

Originally Posted by jackal
You will be subject to change fees ($300 on an international itinerary, IIRC--I don't know as I never change trips ) plus a fare differential (likely substantial, since they would add in the missing fuel surcharge plus any higher fare).

If you paid less than $300 for the ticket, you'd be better off throwing it away and booking a new one from scratch at the going rate.

If you have UA Premier Gold or higher status, you might be able to do a rolling Same-Day Change (~22 hours at a time at max), but for there to be your fare class available on every single necessary change for a week straight is highly unlikely. If you don't have at least Gold status, then the SDC fee ($75, charged each time you SDC) would make that an unreasonable option as well.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:24 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
For anyone who has completed the LGA-MXP (by way of YYZ and FRA) trip on AC:

When flying on the return leg of FRA-YYZ, did you have to check your bags and then re-check them once you landed in Canada/cleared customs? Or did your checked bags go straight on through to LGA? Same question for the LGA-YYZ leg on the outbound. Did you have to pick up in YYZ and re-check them, or did they go straight through? Not sure if it changes anything but all travelers are U.S. citizens.

Unrelated question, did anyone successfully upgrade on any of these legs? We are in a K fare class, no one has status with AC. If yes, how much did you pay for the upgrade, and when during the booking process (before flight, at check in, etc) did you arrange it?

Edit/Data Point: Someone reported in the AC forum (in November) to expect an upgrade charge of ~$1500 on a Tango/K fare; can anyone shed some light on the cost structure? Right now on my flight it is showing about 25% occupied up front, I wonder if the cost comes down based on availability?

Last edited by dwbf11; Jan 28, 2014 at 12:52 pm
Old Jan 28, 2014, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond

If you have UA Premier Gold or higher status, you might be able to do a rolling Same-Day Change (~22 hours at a time at max), but for there to be your fare class available on every single necessary change for a week straight is highly unlikely.
True, in theory. Or you might encounter the problem that SBM12 had where UA agents wouldn't SDC a non-016 ticket.

I was about to SDC a ticket at the EWR intl transfer desk last week, but ran out of time literally while I was waiting for the agent to bang the 1000 keystrokes that SHARES required for even a simple change. But I believe the SDC at the airport was going to be successful. But at least according to Seth, it's a YMMV on the phone / web.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA plat, SPG gold
I'm assuming no date changes on these tickets without a hefty change fee?
Old Jan 28, 2014, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
Originally Posted by lakers6902
I recently inquired about that since a big charity event that I must attend was just scheduled same weekend as my Dubai trip. Was informed by Wideroe CS that to change my dates would bring on the missing taxes etc and I would pay 1k+. Ugh. refund would get me about $90 of my $300 paid

Best I can hope for is a schedule change/cancellation that might allow a date change I guess..... taking suggestions if anyone see's any other options for me, but I can't think of any.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 8:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; AA ExPlat; Hilton Diamond
My dxb-iad-lax-sfo was cancelled over MLK weekend, rerouted dxb-fra-sfo. Automatically re-ticketed on 016 stock in full Y fare. Ended up with shorter route and more miles.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by dwbf11
For anyone who has completed the LGA-MXP (by way of YYZ and FRA) trip on AC:

When flying on the return leg of FRA-YYZ, did you have to check your bags and then re-check them once you landed in Canada/cleared customs? Or did your checked bags go straight on through to LGA? Same question for the LGA-YYZ leg on the outbound. Did you have to pick up in YYZ and re-check them, or did they go straight through? Not sure if it changes anything but all travelers are U.S. citizens.

Unrelated question, did anyone successfully upgrade on any of these legs? We are in a K fare class, no one has status with AC. If yes, how much did you pay for the upgrade, and when during the booking process (before flight, at check in, etc) did you arrange it?

Edit/Data Point: Someone reported in the AC forum (in November) to expect an upgrade charge of ~$1500 on a Tango/K fare; can anyone shed some light on the cost structure? Right now on my flight it is showing about 25% occupied up front, I wonder if the cost comes down based on availability?
Are you on AC metal or UA? If you're on AC this transiting guide will definitely help.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin.../montreal.html
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by lakers6902
Change fee plus missing taxes and likely a hefty upfare. Is there a reason you would think it would be any different?

From a few posts just before yours:

You will be subject to change fees ($300 on an international itinerary, IIRC--I don't know as I never change trips ) plus a fare differential (likely substantial, since they would add in the missing fuel surcharge plus any higher fare).

If you paid less than $300 for the ticket, you'd be better off throwing it away and booking a new one from scratch at the going rate.

If you have UA Premier Gold or higher status, you might be able to do a rolling Same-Day Change (~22 hours at a time at max), but for there to be your fare class available on every single necessary change for a week straight is highly unlikely. If you don't have at least Gold status, then the SDC fee ($75, charged each time you SDC) would make that an unreasonable option as well.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by redreeper
I recently inquired about that since a big charity event that I must attend was just scheduled same weekend as my Dubai trip. Was informed by Wideroe CS that to change my dates would bring on the missing taxes etc and I would pay 1k+. Ugh. refund would get me about $90 of my $300 paid

Best I can hope for is a schedule change/cancellation that might allow a date change I guess..... taking suggestions if anyone see's any other options for me, but I can't think of any.
This is always the risk with booking any non-refundable fare. The good news is that at worst you lose a fraction of what you'd be losing if you had paid a normal non-refundable fare.

If you're booking only because of the mistake price, well, that's still the risk you face. Almost by definition, fare mistakes mean we book in haste - and hopefully don't regret at leisure.

FWIW, I have two itineraries scheduled almost back-to-back. I return from one and am scheduled to depart 8 hours later on the next one. If the first one is delayed, I have no idea what will happen to the second one. I will be overseas and not in a good position to find someone who can process an SDC (complicated by the fact that it's a 3-leg itinerary). It happens.

Edited to add: I don't want to sound unsympathetic. I hope it works out for you, but this is a risk we all take when we book any non-refundable fare, full or mistake price. We just generally don't give it much thought when booking fares paid out of our own pockets. I suspect there are very few leisure travelers here who regularly buy fully refundable fares on their own dime.

Last edited by chollie; Jan 28, 2014 at 11:07 pm
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by redreeper

Skip the "charity" event since they did not inquire whether you had plans.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by chollie
This is always the risk with booking any non-refundable fare. The good news is that at worst you lose a fraction of what you'd be losing if you had paid a normal non-refundable fare.

If you're booking only because of the mistake price, well, that's still the risk you face. Almost by definition, fare mistakes mean we book in haste - and hopefully don't regret at leisure.

FWIW, I have two itineraries scheduled almost back-to-back. I return from one and am scheduled to depart 8 hours later on the next one. If the first one is delayed, I have no idea what will happen to the second one. I will be overseas and not in a good position to find someone who can process an SDC (complicated by the fact that it's a 3-leg itinerary). It happens.

Edited to add: I don't want to sound unsympathetic. I hope it works out for you, but this is a risk we all take when we book any non-refundable fare, full or mistake price. We just generally don't give it much thought when booking fares paid out of our own pockets. I suspect there are very few leisure travelers here who regularly buy fully refundable fares on their own dime.
^^

FWIW, I also have two back-to-back itineraries (TLV-EWR-IAH followed by IAH-IAD-BOM). However, I'm optimistic it'll work out, as both of mine are only two segments, I have 14 hours between arrival and departure, and although I'm screwed if the long-haul transatlantic is canceled, I have multiple back-up options on the EWR-IAH leg before my next itinerary departs (including a nonstop later that night, four more nonstops the next morning, and several options via other hubs or, if absolutely necessary, even through non-hub cities). And in an absolute worst case, I'm hopeful an agent can just rebook me EWR-IAD and cancel IAH-IAD out of my PNR so the system doesn't no-show me. Still, I won't be breathing easy until I touch down in IAH...
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Change fee plus missing taxes and likely a hefty upfare. Is there a reason you would think it would be any different?

From a few posts just before yours:
Error fares are always kind of like gambling, cough, gaming. They may or may not be honored. Once they do, you may or may not be able to make it as you need to book far ahead with very short booking period. You win some, you lose some.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott
Originally Posted by SFOvacations
My dxb-iad-lax-sfo was cancelled over MLK weekend, rerouted dxb-fra-sfo. Automatically re-ticketed on 016 stock in full Y fare. Ended up with shorter route and more miles.
nice^^
Old Jan 31, 2014, 1:43 am

Well my return flight times have changed so I spent a little shy of 2 hours on the phone with UA call center in India and let me say they were Extremely helpful, but just short of actually making the changes. Multiple times they attemped to change it but since it was ticketed on 701 stock according to them only Wideroe could change it. So I went to Wideroe online chat which in the past had been an easy conversation, but tonight I was being helped by "Frank." I was courteous and explained my situation and how UA had waived charges due to flight time changes but Frank kept stating that Wideroe was under strict order from UA to not make any changes without charging. Multiple times after this I tried to explain my conversation with UA but he wouldn't take it and the final message from him was. "This conversation needs to end"
I'm not here to get blasted for being a 'noob' and contacting Wideroe or anything, but I would like to find out why they simply weren't able to change this when on the United side they were ready to change it without charge due to the change in flight times.
Thanks,
Muneeb

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.