FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [FARE GONE] UA: EWR-Europe from $370 return
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:28 pm
jackal
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by chollie
This is always the risk with booking any non-refundable fare. The good news is that at worst you lose a fraction of what you'd be losing if you had paid a normal non-refundable fare.

If you're booking only because of the mistake price, well, that's still the risk you face. Almost by definition, fare mistakes mean we book in haste - and hopefully don't regret at leisure.

FWIW, I have two itineraries scheduled almost back-to-back. I return from one and am scheduled to depart 8 hours later on the next one. If the first one is delayed, I have no idea what will happen to the second one. I will be overseas and not in a good position to find someone who can process an SDC (complicated by the fact that it's a 3-leg itinerary). It happens.

Edited to add: I don't want to sound unsympathetic. I hope it works out for you, but this is a risk we all take when we book any non-refundable fare, full or mistake price. We just generally don't give it much thought when booking fares paid out of our own pockets. I suspect there are very few leisure travelers here who regularly buy fully refundable fares on their own dime.
^^

FWIW, I also have two back-to-back itineraries (TLV-EWR-IAH followed by IAH-IAD-BOM). However, I'm optimistic it'll work out, as both of mine are only two segments, I have 14 hours between arrival and departure, and although I'm screwed if the long-haul transatlantic is canceled, I have multiple back-up options on the EWR-IAH leg before my next itinerary departs (including a nonstop later that night, four more nonstops the next morning, and several options via other hubs or, if absolutely necessary, even through non-hub cities). And in an absolute worst case, I'm hopeful an agent can just rebook me EWR-IAD and cancel IAH-IAD out of my PNR so the system doesn't no-show me. Still, I won't be breathing easy until I touch down in IAH...