Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the thread for 2017 onward. The previous discussion can be found here.

UPDATED Oct-2018: A lot of CVS store take CCs for GC purchases. Some stores check CCs and scan driver's license (with hand scanner). The best GCs are OVVGC and VVGC. The only differences are card designs. The current fee is $5.95 for $25 - $500 variable loading. If prompted for PIN, enter the last 4 digits.

Look for mobile shipping portal with CVS bonus. Certain CCs have category bonus.

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads.
See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

Transaction limits since October 20, 2014:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $ 2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period. (Some are reporting limit of $1000 per 24 hrs as of 2/2018)?
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.

System error after giving them license If you keep getting this error, there could be a problem with the magnetic strip on your license. Have them use the wand to scan it instead.
Print Wikipost

CVS Master Thread(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2017, 10:57 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by jaym22
Oh, so you set it up when you swipe the card for the first time, then? Instead of doing it online/on phone before using the card for the first time? Thanks.
Yes, that's what I do.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: IHG RA, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Delta Silver
Well... today I noticed my go-to CVS started restocking OV VGC's with the $5.95 fee version with 2026 expiration dates. Outer packaging is a bit different and indicates $5.95 fee. "Prepaid Cardholder" is now printed and not embossed. I believe the number is still raised but I haven't bought one.

With the increased fee, this CVS will see me less often, which is a shame because they've made spend very easy for me.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 12:30 pm

Noticed here that they haven't restocked OVs at all the last month and a half.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by dmac1418
Well... today I noticed my go-to CVS started restocking OV VGC's with the $5.95 fee version with 2026 expiration dates. Outer packaging is a bit different and indicates $5.95 fee. "Prepaid Cardholder" is now printed and not embossed. I believe the number is still raised but I haven't bought one.

With the increased fee, this CVS will see me less often, which is a shame because they've made spend very easy for me.
I checked my CVS yesterday to see if there's any changes to their prepaid racks and the OVs with both the embossed and blank are still at 4.95 fees. The black n silver vanilla variables still have 4.95 fees so there no changes and business as usual for MSers.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
My CVS is also stocking all 5.95 cards for new shipments. This sucks
Old Sep 16, 2017, 10:51 pm

Went to a CVS today and was only seeing the white packaging VGCs with the 5.95 fee. I then shifted a few cards around on the rack and realized that there actually were three rows of 4.95 cards. But someone had put a 5.95 card at the front of each row to cover them all up. Guess someone was trying to protect this stash for himself.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 5:05 pm

I need to clear $6k in the next 30 days. I've always used SMGC but that seems dead now w/ Amex. I've never hit CVS but I guess it is the next best thing. Can One Vanilla GCs from CVS be cleared at WM if they're issued by Meta?
Old Sep 18, 2017, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by omghaxcode
I need to clear $6k in the next 30 days. I've always used SMGC but that seems dead now w/ Amex. I've never hit CVS but I guess it is the next best thing. Can One Vanilla GCs from CVS be cleared at WM if they're issued by Meta?
only UP to $49.99 when buying MO or loading BB/serve/etc.

afaik, they still work at the PO, try it n see OR go to a grocery store that takes DC for WUMOs.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear
I checked my CVS yesterday to see if there's any changes to their prepaid racks and the OVs with both the embossed and blank are still at 4.95 fees. The black n silver vanilla variables still have 4.95 fees so there no changes and business as usual for MSers.
I regularly buy One Vanilla (black generic package). For the first time yesterday at CVS, I saw some OV packages with the $5.95 price on them, rather than the $4.95 that I am used to seeing. I think there is some possibility that Vanilla is changing their pricing overall.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:05 pm

Actually stepped into a CVS to see what they had. I saw lots and lots of one vanilla 20-500 cards with $4.95 activation fee and Bancorp serviced by incomm. I see Bancorp can be cleared at USPS and WM is a no go according to the WM thread. Any cheaper options like the ...... banks at grocery stores?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: Several dozen
Seeing lots more of the $5.95s these days. This is simply bad for business.

buy One Vanilla (black generic package). For the first time yesterday at CVS, I saw some OV packages with the $5.95 price on them, rather than the $4.95 that I am used to seeing. I think there is some possibility that Vanilla is changing their pricing overall.[/QUOTE]
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Seeing lots more of the $5.95s these days. This is simply bad for business.
I mean, from Incomms point of view, they are making more money, and people are still probably going to buy them.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:06 am

Just moved to an area with CVS stores. Let me know if what I've gathered sounds good.

OneVanilla - Can't use for MO at WM, but fine at Kroger (USPS Ok?)

VGC Bancorp - good for USPS (anywhere else?)

VGC Meta - I don't know anything about these.

No other prepaid card good for MS at CVS besides OVGC?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:18 pm

Vanillas sold at See V and DS at the corner of happy n healthy:

OneVanilla - Can't use for MO at WM, but fine at Kroger (USPS Ok?) YES

VGC Bancorp - good for USPS (anywhere else?)grocery stores/gas stations

VGC Meta - I don't know anything about these. NOT sold at DS but sold at most grocery stores and gas stations and these same stores may also sell WUMOs.

No other prepaid card good for MS at CVS besides OVGC? regular vanillas with the metallic black n silver package and Happy Birthday vanillas are good, too. just make sure the issuing bank is Bancorp or you can't use them at the PO but grocery stores and gas stations will likely take them. Check your store(s) if they still carry the ones with 4.95 fees on variables or else your fees go up by $1

AS ALWAYS, YMMV.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear
All the other reports at the restocks at $5.95 are all false reports? Business as usual?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.