Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the thread for 2017 onward. The previous discussion can be found here.

UPDATED Oct-2018: A lot of CVS store take CCs for GC purchases. Some stores check CCs and scan driver's license (with hand scanner). The best GCs are OVVGC and VVGC. The only differences are card designs. The current fee is $5.95 for $25 - $500 variable loading. If prompted for PIN, enter the last 4 digits.

Look for mobile shipping portal with CVS bonus. Certain CCs have category bonus.

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads.
See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

Transaction limits since October 20, 2014:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $ 2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period. (Some are reporting limit of $1000 per 24 hrs as of 2/2018)?
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.

System error after giving them license If you keep getting this error, there could be a problem with the magnetic strip on your license. Have them use the wand to scan it instead.
Print Wikipost

CVS Master Thread(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2017, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka
Don't know what's going on with CVS. Went back to the one I was at yesterday with a new cashier, and after trying twice, she got the same system error. Then I tried another one and based on her reaction I'm pretty sure it was the same error. She tried it once more, and it went through.

I don't know if these are employees doing the process in the wrong order or what?
Why don't you go to a different cvs if this one causes problems? Majority of the cvs I go to don't care.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 3:48 pm

This was a different one. I've gotten in at 3 different CVS in the last week, although 2 times after getting the message it went through.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:53 pm
jk2

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka
This was a different one. I've gotten in at 3 different CVS in the last week, although 2 times after getting the message it went through.
Probably the magnetic stripe on your DL is bad - I have the same problem and it is solved by scanning DL bar code.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 11:59 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by dmac1418
They (S/N) didn't match. I called yesterday as soon as I got the error and this morning had an email saying a replacement was being shipped.
I'm glad you were able to get it sorted out. A similar thing happened up this way awhile ago. In that case, rather than shipping a new card InComm activated the one inside the package. I'd be a little more vigilant down at locations in the LA area as there have been some problems in the past. (There are a few dedicated threads on this topic.) I haven't read any recent cases, but there were a number of stories a few years ago.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 1:43 am

Programs: IHG RA, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by Majuki
I'm glad you were able to get it sorted out. A similar thing happened up this way awhile ago. In that case, rather than shipping a new card InComm activated the one inside the package. I'd be a little more vigilant down at locations in the LA area as there have been some problems in the past. (There are a few dedicated threads on this topic.) I haven't read any recent cases, but there were a number of stories a few years ago.
Yeah, I'll be avoiding that CVS. Went one a little further away today with no issues and the racks were stuffed with OV's. Should have my MSR knocked out in no time.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by jk2
Probably the magnetic stripe on your DL is bad - I have the same problem and it is solved by scanning DL bar code.
THANK YOU! This solved the problem. I think I'll add this to the wiki.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: United Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
I did $500 in MS (Vanilla/USPS) yesterday to test the waters, and did an additional $1k today to nearly max out CF 5% category. Wanted to say thanks for all the advice in this post, I was super nervous about it for no reason, but it ended up being super easy.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 3:02 pm

Can someone please tell me which particular VGC I need to get from CVS if I am doing MOs at USPS? Is it Bancorp ones, or Metabank? I didn't see Metabank ones at 2 diff CVS in my location, so wasn't sure. Thanks.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by jaym22
Can someone please tell me which particular VGC I need to get from CVS if I am doing MOs at USPS? Is it Bancorp ones, or Metabank? I didn't see Metabank ones at 2 diff CVS in my location, so wasn't sure. Thanks.
bancorp still works at USPS...for now
Old Aug 7, 2017, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
bancorp still works at USPS...for now
Thanks. A follow up to that, does it matter if I get MyVanilla or OneVanilla card for that? Also, after I buy the card, do I need to set it up as a debit card (and assign a pin), or will it come with a default pin?

Sorry for the naive questions, just trying to make sure I am doing it right.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Thanks. A follow up to that, does it matter if I get MyVanilla or OneVanilla card for that? Also, after I buy the card, do I need to set it up as a debit card (and assign a pin), or will it come with a default pin?

Sorry for the naive questions, just trying to make sure I am doing it right.
With Vanilla cards, my experience is that you can choose your own PIN the first time you use it. After that first time, the PIN is set to whatever PIN you used that first time.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
With Vanilla cards, my experience is that you can choose your own PIN the first time you use it. After that first time, the PIN is set to whatever PIN you used that first time.
Oh, so you set it up when you swipe the card for the first time, then? Instead of doing it online/on phone before using the card for the first time? Thanks.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 6:12 pm

Programs: Several dozen
It aint Meta - they don't work at USPS. Buy a Meta, Live to Regreta!

Old Aug 7, 2017, 6:14 pm

A follow up to that, does it matter if I get MyVanilla or OneVanilla card for that?
Yes it matters A LOT.

Read the terms on MVanill DEBIT package and you'll know why it's not the one to buy. Yes to OV! It is best for you to understand why instead of just following what others do; it is the best way to learn and find new routes to MS and/or fix issues, if any.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA
Hm, tried to get an OVGC at CVS (LA area) today, not one I usually go to, and the cashier scanned the OVGC and told me that her system wouldn't allow her to sell it. Not sure what the exact error message was, but something like this item cannot be sold. Hadn't scanned my license or inserted my credit card at that point. Hopefully it's just a fluke!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.