Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the thread for 2017 onward. The previous discussion can be found here.

UPDATED Oct-2018: A lot of CVS store take CCs for GC purchases. Some stores check CCs and scan driver's license (with hand scanner). The best GCs are OVVGC and VVGC. The only differences are card designs. The current fee is $5.95 for $25 - $500 variable loading. If prompted for PIN, enter the last 4 digits.

Look for mobile shipping portal with CVS bonus. Certain CCs have category bonus.

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads.
See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

Transaction limits since October 20, 2014:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $ 2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period. (Some are reporting limit of $1000 per 24 hrs as of 2/2018)?
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.

System error after giving them license If you keep getting this error, there could be a problem with the magnetic strip on your license. Have them use the wand to scan it instead.
Print Wikipost

CVS Master Thread(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by DrAwesome81
I was in the same boat, and was just talking about it over on /r/churning. I tried to get a OneVanilla ($4.95 fee) and the card wouldn't ring up. Cashier actually went and removed all OneVanilla's while I was watching. Went back the next week and bought a basic Vanilla ($5.95 fee) with no issues. Went back today to buy more, and now those wouldn't ring up either. Cashier this time said they had been having problems with those cards, and the manager came and told her to remove all of them. This CVS had a whole rack dedicated only to VGCs, and it's now empty.

Anyone know what's going on?
DP) Bought a $5.95 Vanilla at CVS this AM - no issues.

DP) Bought a $5.95 Vanilla at WG this AM - no issues.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: Several dozen
CVS POS changes

Now over in the land of MO and I hear from the local CVS that they were told to pull all $4.95 $20-500 VISA GCs and just had a POS system update. So we tried to ring up some newer white/blue box $5.95 $20-500 GC's and the system asked if it was a taxable or nontaxable purchase and did not go to the normal red/green "Were you scammed?" screen. Interesting! So I tapped into my inner IT Auditor and pulled some of the older, red candle $5.95 $20-500 GCs and lo and behold they rang up fine. Memo to CVS - ever hear of adequately testing your POS system changes? Also a memo to Garmin - why the hell did your GPS hide this CVS store and tell me the closest CVS was a few miles away? This CVS is several years old and I installed your latest map update.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Now over in the land of MO and I hear from the local CVS that they were told to pull all $4.95 $20-500 VISA GCs and just had a POS system update. So we tried to ring up some newer white/blue box $5.95 $20-500 GC's and the system asked if it was a taxable or nontaxable purchase and did not go to the normal red/green "Were you scammed?" screen. Interesting! So I tapped into my inner IT Auditor and pulled some of the older, red candle $5.95 $20-500 GCs and lo and behold they rang up fine. Memo to CVS - ever hear of adequately testing your POS system changes? Also a memo to Garmin - why the hell did your GPS hide this CVS store and tell me the closest CVS was a few miles away? This CVS is several years old and I installed your latest map update.
How recent was this POS system update? As of about 8 pm last night, I was still able to ring up the few 4.95's I found. Going to be a non-issue soon since I can barely find any more anyway.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by brody24
How recent was this POS system update? As of about 8 pm last night, I was still able to ring up the few 4.95's I found. Going to be a non-issue soon since I can barely find any more anyway.
the update is store by store. some store in my area wont ring up 495s anymore, some still run thru no problem
Old Oct 26, 2017, 7:04 am

Update was within the week so 10/23-10/25. Looks like another rolling blackout ala USPS and Metabank. Time to try selling $4.95 GCs as collectibles on eBay?

Originally Posted by brody24
Old Oct 26, 2017, 7:50 am

What's a Garmin? ;-)
Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by breauxdle
the update is store by store. some store in my area wont ring up 495s anymore, some still run thru no problem
got the last 4.95 at one of my goto store, the rest are $5.95s!
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by danpeake
What's a Garmin? ;-)
Navigation
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by prasha11
Navigation
It was a joke. Most people use their phones for navigation now.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 6:35 am

What's a phone? Afraid I just have a $15 flip phone on a $19 a month no contract plan. Great for single handed use and that retro cool look.

Have had loads of interesting times with my Garmin on trips the last few weeks. Yesterday it tried to send me down a gravel road that turned into an unpaved Jeep trail when headed to a resort. This particular Garmin hides drug stores, favors Jeep trails and took me through every farm road in South Carolina one dark night a few weeks back. I have heard Stephen King is planning to write a story about my Garmin.

Originally Posted by danpeake
It was a joke. Most people use their phones for navigation now.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 10:14 am

What's a phone? Afraid I just have a $15 flip phone on a $19 a month no contract plan. Great for single handed use and that retro cool look.

Have had loads of interesting times with my Garmin on trips the last few weeks. Yesterday it tried to send me down a gravel road that turned into an unpaved Jeep trail when headed to a resort. This particular Garmin hides drug stores, favors Jeep trails and took me through every farm road in South Carolina one dark night a few weeks back. I have heard Stephen King is planning to write a story about my Garmin.
I used to have a DeLorme gazetteer that had really low battery usage.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 7:40 am

Can CVS gcs be used to pay vgc fees?
Old Nov 27, 2017, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by breauxdle
Can CVS gcs be used to pay vgc fees?
No
Old Dec 4, 2017, 11:44 am

Does anyone know what VGC can be used to buy MO at CVS?
Old Dec 4, 2017, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by wanalaugh74
Does anyone know what VGC can be used to buy MO at CVS?
none of them

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.