Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the thread for 2017 onward. The previous discussion can be found here.

UPDATED Oct-2018: A lot of CVS store take CCs for GC purchases. Some stores check CCs and scan driver's license (with hand scanner). The best GCs are OVVGC and VVGC. The only differences are card designs. The current fee is $5.95 for $25 - $500 variable loading. If prompted for PIN, enter the last 4 digits.

Look for mobile shipping portal with CVS bonus. Certain CCs have category bonus.

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads.
See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

Transaction limits since October 20, 2014:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $ 2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period. (Some are reporting limit of $1000 per 24 hrs as of 2/2018)?
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.

System error after giving them license If you keep getting this error, there could be a problem with the magnetic strip on your license. Have them use the wand to scan it instead.
Print Wikipost

CVS Master Thread(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2017, 12:46 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by mcRib
breauxdle, N.CaL
Complain to CVS Corporate. The stores cannot make up their own policies.

Had one CVS in my area that was trying to be cash/debit only for ALL gift cards. Their corporate shut that down real fast. All CVS Stores in my area have the gift card policy posted at the checkout showing the ID requirement over $300 regardless of payment type (so as to not break any credit card network rules...), etc.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 3:45 am

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by storewanderer
Complain to CVS Corporate. The stores cannot make up their own policies.

Had one CVS in my area that was trying to be cash/debit only for ALL gift cards. Their corporate shut that down real fast. All CVS Stores in my area have the gift card policy posted at the checkout showing the ID requirement over $300 regardless of payment type (so as to not break any credit card network rules...), etc.
Interesting...I have one store where the same a-hole manager has been working forever and is only cash-only store in town. It's in a convenient location and I'd love to force him to sell those. Any particular customer service # you called to make this happen?
Old Sep 30, 2017, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Interesting...I have one store where the same a-hole manager has been working forever and is only cash-only store in town. It's in a convenient location and I'd love to force him to sell those. Any particular customer service # you called to make this happen?
The general number is 1-800-SHOP-CVS. At the prompt, request complaint, then you have to climb the ladder of pressing buttons until you reach the correct department.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 9:32 am

google provided this corporate number (401) 765-1550
Old Sep 30, 2017, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by lancaster
The general number is 1-800-SHOP-CVS. At the prompt, request complaint, then you have to climb the ladder of pressing buttons until you reach the correct department.
IME, limited as it is, stores that got hit with stolen CCs resulting in lots of chargebacks are allowed to make their policy of cash only. Corporate takes the side of store managers who have this experience so complainants can't do anything about it except to go to other branches. Too bad, so sad for those with just one DS in their town.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear
IME, limited as it is, stores that got hit with stolen CCs resulting in lots of chargebacks are allowed to make their policy of cash only. Corporate takes the side of store managers who have this experience so complainants can't do anything about it except to go to other branches. Too bad, so sad for those with just one DS in their town.
In that case, you need to involve the District Manager. If they won't fix it, then involve the Regional Manager.

A front line customer service representative who doesn't know better may take the side of an arguing Store Manager, but know the Store Manager is in the wrong, not authorized to make up their own policies, and has to follow the policies that CVS Corporate has set forth.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 10:50 am

Good info, I have no idea why an individual store manager even cares to cook up their own policy. As long as they follow corporate rules not like they're personally responsible for anything that happens.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Good info, I have no idea why an individual store manager even cares to cook up their own policy. As long as they follow corporate rules not like they're personally responsible for anything that happens.
Because they can do it, just like Miamibear stated, this issue has been around for years, when VR was around, I had one store Manager accuse me of money Laundering and refused to sell me VR with a CC. After speaking to the District manager they told me that Store Managers are allowed to set certain store policy to protect the interest of their store.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:44 am

One Vanilla Activation Fee Increase

Activation fee has increased to $5.95 on new stock of OneVanilla Prepaid VISA Cards.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by atc1
Activation fee has increased to $5.95 on new stock of OneVanilla Prepaid VISA Cards.
That's been discussed for like the last 10 pages I still see old stock in my neck of the woods so hopefully that sticks around. The herd of MSers has been thinned considerably since WM stopped taking vanillas and Bluebird died, so we have no lack of inventory.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Because they can do it, just like Mamibear stated, this issue has been around for years, when VR was around, I had one store Manager accuse me of money Laundering and refused to sell me VR with a CC. After speaking to the District manager they told me that Store Managers are allowed to set certain store policy to protect the interest of their store.
I've been to such DS that said cash only and just left quitely. I'd probably put up same policy as SM of a store hit with stolen CCs followed by a lot of chargebacks. Or in your case, if they suspect ML or other illegal activities, they're free to use their discretion and want cash only for such merchandise. It'll be useless and time consuming to contact corporate knowing they have valid reasons to side with the SM. I would understand why others would fight for it if they have only one DS to buy their GCs.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Mamibear
I've been to such DS that said cash only and just left quitely. I'd probably put up same policy as SM of a store hit with stolen CCs followed by a lot of chargebacks. Or in your case, if they suspect ML or other illegal activities, they're free to use their discretion and want cash only for such merchandise. It'll be useless and time consuming to contact corporate knowing they have valid reasons to side with the SM. I would understand why others would fight for it if they have only one DS to buy their GCs.
^
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:11 am

Actually it is not useless to contact corporate. The gift card program has to be administered in accordance with their policies because they have signed an agreement with the gift card provider and their gift card provider is aware of their policies and has agreed to those. The gift card provider has not agreed to stores that have cash only policies, refuse to sell in certain dollar amounts, etc. The gift card provider has agreed to the system flagging and denying certain transactions. The gift card provider has agreed to the ID logging for all gift card sales above $300.

If the District Manager backs up the Store Manager who is making up their own rules, then you have to go over that person's head too. Then check back in a year or two and see if that DM is still there.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by storewanderer
Actually it is not useless to contact corporate. The gift card program has to be administered in accordance with their policies because they have signed an agreement with the gift card provider and their gift card provider is aware of their policies and has agreed to those. The gift card provider has not agreed to stores that have cash only policies, refuse to sell in certain dollar amounts, etc. The gift card provider has agreed to the system flagging and denying certain transactions. The gift card provider has agreed to the ID logging for all gift card sales above $300.

If the District Manager backs up the Store Manager who is making up their own rules, then you have to go over that person's head too. Then check back in a year or two and see if that DM is still there.
So what you are saying is, CVS signed an agreement to sell GC a certain way (cash and CC) and have to follow those rules, even if CVS is losing MILLIONS on fraud? If I was CVS, I would tell GC company to shove it and we cancel the contract.

However, I don't think GC company wants to lose CVS's business and is allowing CVS to protect themselves with these polices, so until you can prove other wise, I doubt I believe what you posted.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
So what you are saying is, CVS signed an agreement to sell GC a certain way (cash and CC) and have to follow those rules, even if CVS is losing MILLIONS on fraud? If I was CVS, I would tell GC company to shove it and we cancel the contract.

However, I don't think GC company wants to lose CVS's business and is allowing CVS to protect themselves with these polices, so until you can prove other wise, I doubt I believe what you posted.

How is CVS losing money from fraud? They swipe ID and use PIN transactions. Any fraud would not be their responsibility and would be written off by the CC.

It's the people who pay with cash ,or stolen debit card who would in fact be more of a liability. Debit cards give almost zero protection to the owner, and who the heck carries around $2k in cash for GC purchases?

End result is CVS stores with such policy have shelves brimming with cards and almost zero sales. I confirmed as much by talking to cashiers. Since the GC merchant pays to rent rack space, I'm not sure they'd love this arrangement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.