Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the thread for 2017 onward. The previous discussion can be found here.

UPDATED Oct-2018: A lot of CVS store take CCs for GC purchases. Some stores check CCs and scan driver's license (with hand scanner). The best GCs are OVVGC and VVGC. The only differences are card designs. The current fee is $5.95 for $25 - $500 variable loading. If prompted for PIN, enter the last 4 digits.

Look for mobile shipping portal with CVS bonus. Certain CCs have category bonus.

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads.
See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

Transaction limits since October 20, 2014:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $ 2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period. (Some are reporting limit of $1000 per 24 hrs as of 2/2018)?
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.

System error after giving them license If you keep getting this error, there could be a problem with the magnetic strip on your license. Have them use the wand to scan it instead.
Print Wikipost

CVS Master Thread(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by seattlewhite
I am new to this but tried 3 seperate CVS in the SLC, Utah area with no luck. Brought up the Vanilla VGC by bancorp to the desk and all 3 said it wouldn't be a probably paying with a credit card. Scanned my ID, asked how much I wanted on the cards, told them $500 and then tried to run the order but it wouldn't work. They told me on their screen that cash was required for these. They tried to override it with no luck. Called the manager over at each place and they told me they couldn't override it. Just my experience.
Did the message say "alternate tender required"? If so, your bank declined the charge. Did you get a fraud alert from your card issuer after attempting the transaction?
Old Apr 13, 2017, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
Did the message say "alternate tender required"? If so, your bank declined the charge. Did you get a fraud alert from your card issuer after attempting the transaction?
I am not positive exactly what the message said but I did get a fraud alert from Chase. They called me the next day and reviewed a bunch of my purchases asking if that was me. Can I tell Chase to allow me to buy those or is there some other workaround?
Old Apr 13, 2017, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by seattlewhite
I am not positive exactly what the message said but I did get a fraud alert from Chase. They called me the next day and reviewed a bunch of my purchases asking if that was me. Can I tell Chase to allow me to buy those or is there some other workaround?
Most card issuers have the feature where you can place a spending notification on the card. A best practice is if you'll be making a large purchase is to place a spending notification on the card with the card issuer. Most issuers will simply ask for the purchase amount, and you can budget a bit of a buffer.

In your case, the card issuer flagged the purchase, causing the transaction to fail. The cashiers misinterpreted the message as being the cards were cash only purchases because I think it says something like "alternate tender required".
Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:44 pm

Bought OVs at two different CVS this evening. No problemo.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 5:12 pm

Hopefully just random bad news for me, but the CVS I've been going to for at least 6 years just said they won't sell to me anymore.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:32 am

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
Try another one. Just bought three to wrap up the Freedom that I normally sock drawer.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 4:47 am

Will try another one of course. This one was extremely closely located. I still have 4 more trips I need to make before the end of June to wrap up some 5%ers. I've spent over a million at this CVS, so this is really annoying.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka
Hopefully just random bad news for me, but the CVS I've been going to for at least 6 years just said they won't sell to me anymore.
Had that happen to me once. Did you ask why, especially since you have been going there for 6 years, I would expect they would give you an answer.

Anyway, I moved on to another store and have never had an issue.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:37 pm

I did go to a new store, and I got the error "system issue unable to process transaction". This was right after she swiped my drivers license. I got this same error a week ago, but a couple days later I was able to make a purchase.

Has this happened to anybody else? Is this truly a system problem, or am I blacklisted in some sense?

As far as why, the shift manager said that her manager told her not to sell to me anymore because I've been making purchases with different cards. I think the problems started back when I used "debit" for the cashback5% card several months ago. Then I had to switch credit cards last week because a card was declined. I should have asked to speak with the manager, but I was completely caught off guard.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka
I did go to a new store, and I got the error "system issue unable to process transaction". This was right after she swiped my drivers license. I got this same error a week ago, but a couple days later I was able to make a purchase.

Has this happened to anybody else? Is this truly a system problem, or am I blacklisted in some sense?

As far as why, the shift manager said that her manager told her not to sell to me anymore because I've been making purchases with different cards. I think the problems started back when I used "debit" for the cashback5% card several months ago. Then I had to switch credit cards last week because a card was declined. I should have asked to speak with the manager, but I was completely caught off guard.
This happened to me about 6 moths ago. It is a system error that comes and goes.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: IHG RA, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Delta Silver
Bought an OV VGC in SoCal today. Everything was fine until I checked the balance in the parking lot... Got an error and it said to call support. I drove to the PO hoping it just needed more time to update, but no dice. Still getting the error so I call OV: card isn't active, and now I wait for the ticket process. I just hope this gets resolved ASAP.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by dmac1418
Bought an OV VGC in SoCal today. Everything was fine until I checked the balance in the parking lot... Got an error and it said to call support. I drove to the PO hoping it just needed more time to update, but no dice. Still getting the error so I call OV: card isn't active, and now I wait for the ticket process. I just hope this gets resolved ASAP.
I've had this happen to me before. Make sure you keep the receipt. Keeping the packaging helps too. I've gotten into the habit of keeping receipts and packaging until i drain the cards.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by dmac1418
Does the serial number and expiration date on the packaging match those on the card? If not, I would call OV immediately and file a support ticket.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: IHG RA, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by Majuki
Does the serial number and expiration date on the packaging match those on the card? If not, I would call OV immediately and file a support ticket.
They (S/N) didn't match. I called yesterday as soon as I got the error and this morning had an email saying a replacement was being shipped.

Last edited by dmac1418; Jun 23, 2017 at 12:16 pm Reason: Clarification
Old Jun 23, 2017, 2:38 pm

Don't know what's going on with CVS. Went back to the one I was at yesterday with a new cashier, and after trying twice, she got the same system error. Then I tried another one and based on her reaction I'm pretty sure it was the same error. She tried it once more, and it went through.

I don't know if these are employees doing the process in the wrong order or what?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.