Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the thread for 2017 onward. The previous discussion can be found here.

UPDATED Oct-2018: A lot of CVS store take CCs for GC purchases. Some stores check CCs and scan driver's license (with hand scanner). The best GCs are OVVGC and VVGC. The only differences are card designs. The current fee is $5.95 for $25 - $500 variable loading. If prompted for PIN, enter the last 4 digits.

Look for mobile shipping portal with CVS bonus. Certain CCs have category bonus.

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads.
See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

Transaction limits since October 20, 2014:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $ 2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period. (Some are reporting limit of $1000 per 24 hrs as of 2/2018)?
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.

System error after giving them license If you keep getting this error, there could be a problem with the magnetic strip on your license. Have them use the wand to scan it instead.
Print Wikipost

CVS Master Thread(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2017, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by FrankMS
I let it auto drain for debit with 5 cards. The fifth card is a $25 FB used for fees (4x 500 1x19.80). Sometimes a cashier who doesn't know me will give the register a strange look when it only takes $500 off the total. If they really look baffled, I just tell them that it's only going to take $500 from each card. That has satisfied everyone I've dealt with.
Some are aware of what we are doing. Just yesterday, I went to a CVS I have never used before. Luckily, the cashier was new & I'm guessing the manager was training her (wasn't wearing the CVS shirt). Once the auto-drain happened (I told them it's going to do a funky thing), the cashier started to talk to the manager about somebody was combining gift cards at Costco at super busy hours. The waiting line was getting long and nightmare or something like that. And, the manager started saying something about she felt bad about eighty some cents leaving on a GC, etc...another day, cashier in 20's asked me if the card I used was a gift card or something once the auto-drain occurred at another CVS I don't normally use. At a couple of CVS, some cashiers asked me to let them see the card after the auto-drain even if the system didn't prompt them for the last 4-digit.

Last edited by vagrants; Jan 7, 2017 at 7:24 am
Old Jan 7, 2017, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by vagrants
I don't know which post said that latter works and how it was written or I'm not going to track it down...I believe no, debit can't be split (cashier manually entering the amount). You are emphasizing the first swipe. If you want to make a split, use auto-drain debit. I tried the latter before, the system didn't let me according to the cashier (unless there was a cashier error or I didn't tell cashier what I needed correctly). You can try and let us know.
well, if given the choice, i would have preferred to do (i), followed by (ii) i guess.

(i) swipe #1-4 : debit (split)
(ii) swipe #1-4 : debit (auto-d)

but since (i) has been debunked by at least 2-3 people here, so i guess (ii) is the only possibility.
however, there have been some posters saying debit auto-d is causing problems with CB posting (not posted in timely manner, or not posted at all unless called in)

personally, i have been doing individual debit transactions. it's tedious, i know, so i try to go to the store at a time when no one is there. sometimes, if there are people, i will stop half way to let another customer go first.

I let it auto drain for debit with 5 cards. The fifth card is a $25 FB used for fees (4x 500 1x19.80). Sometimes a cashier who doesn't know me will give the register a strange look when it only takes $500 off the total. If they really look baffled, I just tell them that it's only going to take $500 from each card. That has satisfied everyone I've dealt with.
thanks for sharing, good to know. i wonder if that will fly with the cashiers here for me. it's indeed tempting to do everything in one-transaction. but so far, i have decided not to poke the bear yet, bc when i did debit/auto-d method at other 5B merchants (not cvs) at smaller denom, i am already getting weird looks.

Some are aware of what we are doing. Just yesterday, I went to a CVS I have never used before. Luckily, the cashier was new & I'm guessing the manager was training her (wasn't wearing the CVS shirt). Once the auto-drain happened (I told them it's going to do a funky thing), the cashier started to talk to the manager about somebody was combining gift cards at Costco at a super busy hours. The waiting line was nightmare or something like that. And, the manager started saying something about she felt bad about eighty some cents leaving on a GC, etc...another day, cashier in 20's asked me if the card I used was a gift card or something once the auto-drain occurred at another CVS I don't normally use.
i feel debit/auto-d can be a red flag to more cognizant cashiers, though at a lesser scale compared to passing your card to cashier for last 4 digits.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 8:02 am

Intelligent discussion folks on this topic. I was not the only one having this issue. I would just use it as credit, I have not had anyone giving me hard time and I go to 3 different stores within 20 miles. The CBs have been posting flawless. The one store that was acting little weird, I asked the cashier, how do you say your name and then started using her name. She asked me, what is my name and we are good to go now.

Last edited by Gitangali; Jan 7, 2017 at 8:20 am
Old Jan 7, 2017, 8:08 am

Comparing the 3 merchants that participate in 5B program, KM is my favorite, all my CBs there posted w/o issues within 24 hrs or less, followed by Lowe's although this is just a back up now that there's no $ off at ODOM for the 5Bs. Almost, if not all, my VGC transactions at CVS required that I call to follow up my CBs so I can fairly conclude that the drugstore's POS has issues processing CBs instantly. I just choose credit at CVS, do 4 transactions using same DL, tell cashier last 4 of the card. Done. For the rest, there's KM.

I'd milk KM while there are still stores left open and as long as they accept DCs. Lowe's may be a seasonal favorite when HI stores are included in cat bonuses or when ODOM has fee free GC offers again.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by macrophage
Off topic, but if you completed a transaction and it went through and you had proof of sale, you were free to walk out of the store WITH your merchandise unless the manager voided the transaction and refunded you with a receipt printout. Who knows what this manager did with the card already? The person probably sent on a shopping spree already!
The cashier held on to the gift cards until the manager came over and then gave them to her. I probably could have been a little more demanding and made a scene of it but the whole point in all of this is to play dumb and not be remembered. No sense in ruining a location. I will get the money back. When I went back, she gave me a copy of the receipt, so at least I have that.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
Almost, if not all, my VGC transactions at CVS required that I call to follow up my CBs so I can fairly conclude that the drugstore's POS has issues processing CBs instantly. I just choose credit at CVS, do 4 transactions using same DL, tell cashier last 4 of the card. Done. For the rest, there's KM.
Your data point proves squarely it is not Debit, credit issue but it is POS. I don't have KM but curious how do you liquidate at KM?

Originally Posted by Sandybestdog
The cashier held on to the gift cards until the manager came over and then gave them to her. I probably could have been a little more demanding and made a scene of it but the whole point in all of this is to play dumb and not be remembered. No sense in ruining a location. I will get the money back. When I went back, she gave me a copy of the receipt, so at least I have that.
One has to be thick skin in MS business, you've to let go of things you wouldn't otherwise.

I like to look at each red plastic as 30 dollar bill. I can donate it to someone in need, buy gas, buy pizza so on and so forth.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Gitangali
Your data point proves squarely it is not Debit, credit issue but it is POS. I don't have KM but curious how do you liquidate at KM?
I read that Mami can buy MO directly at KM...I asked a couple of KM around here, I was told cash only...and lucky CVS not giving a fuss using credit with GCs....location, location, location
Old Jan 7, 2017, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
osters saying debit auto-d is causing problems with CB posting (not posted in timely manner, or not posted at all unless called in)

it's indeed tempting to do everything in one-transaction.
Auto drain for for debit is posting now, although I think (as discovered earlier) that it may be location specific. The beauty of auto drain is that it happens mid-transaction, so you're not going to be told you can't do it.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 2:12 pm

I read that Mami can buy MO directly at KM...I asked a couple of KM around here, I was told cash only...and lucky CVS not giving a fuss using credit with GCs....location, location, location
Ya , same here told me I can get however much I want but cash only

otherwise it will be (too) easy
Old Jan 7, 2017, 2:32 pm

Auto drain for for debit is posting now, although I think (as discovered earlier) that it may be location specific. The beauty of auto drain is that it happens mid-transaction, so you're not going to be told you can't do it.
If you are going to buy like $495.05, yes....if $4.95 or more is left to pay, then they still can abort the transaction....
Old Jan 7, 2017, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you are going to buy like $495.05, yes....if $4.95 or more is left to pay, then they still can abort the transaction....
Very mistaken. They can void the transaction even after PIN entered, let alone autodrain. All it takes is one single key. Had that happened with a stand in manager at store way back in early Nov when he discovered it was a GC. He just pressed a key and voided the whole thing! No receipt ever printed. Register froze. At the end he angrily pulled the power plug and left the register disabled. Money was gone from the card but came back in a few hours as the transaction was voided.!
Old Jan 7, 2017, 3:12 pm

I must have found a unicorn I just saw this location is scheduled for closure this year, I'm going to milk it as long as they allow DCs for MO.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Very mistaken. They can void the transaction even after PIN entered, let alone autodrain. All it takes is one single key. Had that happened with a stand in manager at store way back in early Nov when he discovered it was a GC. He just pressed a key and voided the whole thing! No receipt ever printed. Register froze. At the end he angrily pulled the power plug and left the register disabled. Money was gone from the card but came back in a few hours as the transaction was voided.!
Holy crap. That manager really loves being a cop! When I get busted for using GCs at CVS with ordinary cashiers, once the PIN is entered and paid even for partial, they just let it go. Thanks for the info.

I must have found a unicorn I just saw this location is scheduled for closure this year, I'm going to milk it as long as they allow DCs for MO.
I'm jealous I guess milk 'em hard while it lasts.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Holy crap. That manager really loves being a cop! When I get busted for using GCs at CVS with ordinary cashiers, once the PIN is entered and paid even for partial, they just let it go. Thanks for the info.
I was literally speechless when he pulled that act...

The most irony part was, 3 or 4 weeks later when we went to a CVS - this very same manager was there, again seemed like a stand in as never saw him at the first-encounter store before and never saw him in this store before either. I almost wanted to walk out but decided to run the card just as usual. This time he did not act any strangely and the single card by debit card went just like any other times. Crazy!
Old Jan 7, 2017, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Thanks for the clarification.

I've heard that they pull the WU machines shortly after they announce closing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.