Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the thread for 2017 onward. The previous discussion can be found here.

UPDATED Oct-2018: A lot of CVS store take CCs for GC purchases. Some stores check CCs and scan driver's license (with hand scanner). The best GCs are OVVGC and VVGC. The only differences are card designs. The current fee is $5.95 for $25 - $500 variable loading. If prompted for PIN, enter the last 4 digits.

Look for mobile shipping portal with CVS bonus. Certain CCs have category bonus.

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads.
See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

Transaction limits since October 20, 2014:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $ 2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period. (Some are reporting limit of $1000 per 24 hrs as of 2/2018)?
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.

System error after giving them license If you keep getting this error, there could be a problem with the magnetic strip on your license. Have them use the wand to scan it instead.
Print Wikipost

CVS Master Thread(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2024, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by TTT103
Lucky me picked up another tampered vanilla today at my local CVS. It was the newer version with the barcode printed half on the sleeve and half on the card. The last eight digits of the card number were scraped off, and the magnetic strip was also damaged.

Another 60 minute call to customer service with an associate who spoke even worse English than the last few I dealt with. 7 to 10 days for the new card to arrive. I asked about FedEx, but the agent said that it was not an option.
Had a similar issue, except no numbers were scratched but the magnetic strip wasn't working. Thankfully, had a CSR who was able to quickly send me a new card next week.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by ra7
I purchased several VGC using Discover and Chase in the last 2 weeks at CVS and grocery stores. never ran into any issues at all.
My original post was from the holiday season. If you look around the forums, there ended up being a ton of fraud. A whole GC tampering ring was busted shortly after my post. Now, InComm and Visa are both being sued of the losses to consumers (the suit claims packaging not secure enough). Even today, there are still a ton of DPs coming in about problems using InComms because they've added extra fraud protection.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 11:13 am

Haven't bought VGC from CVS in years, is it still $2k per rolling 24hrs and scan of DL required?
Old Feb 5, 2024, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by dwatcher
Haven't bought VGC from CVS in years, is it still $2k per rolling 24hrs and scan of DL required?
Yes
dwatcher likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 4:16 pm

Be careful! I found three fraudulent gift cards at CVS this afternoon. We opened them at the counter and verified that they were actually tampered with.

two of the cards were the old style with the full barcode window, but the third card had the window where half of the barcode was printed on the envelope, and the other half on the card.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by TTT103
Be careful! I found three fraudulent gift cards at CVS this afternoon. We opened them at the counter and verified that they were actually tampered with.

two of the cards were the old style with the full barcode window, but the third card had the window where half of the barcode was printed on the envelope, and the other half on the card.
someone might have put a walmart SS card into CVS?
Old Feb 12, 2024, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by yoyo
I did find one of those a month or so ago, as the $4.94 fee jumped out at me, as CVS charged $5.95. It too was a tampered card. Quite honestly, I don't even know if the CVS register would have activated the card.

This afternoon I found two additional cards that were tampered with at CVS. One almost got by my radar, as all of the card numbers and CVC codes were intact. However, the magnetic strip was scratched and a hot glue dab was on the back versus the gummy adhesive. It's a matter of time before one gets past me.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 3:38 pm

Data point to add:

Been getting clawbacks from Amex on recent $49X.00 Visa gift card purchases at CVS while trying to hit retention bonus spend.

It's been a year or two since I've done this, but have they swapped over to L3 reporting? Used to stick to CVS strictly because their L2 reporting meant they were a viable candidate for MS, but looks like that might be out the window now.
littlewinglet likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 8:15 pm

No L3 data from CVS, you can check yourself (see link below about how to find it). they have been doing clawbacks on cards for people who somehow made their list, and they will continue if you keep doing it. You can try to buy values away from multiples of $505.95 (buy two cards for example, one for $500 the other for $300) but they may claw that back too (who spends $800 at CVS organically - not too many of us). A pause in the spend might make them stop looking, or might not.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/amex-...ut-of-the-box/
Old Apr 3, 2024, 7:41 am

Bought a bad VGC from CVS a few days ago. When I opened it the number had been scratched off. Thought I had been very careful examining the exterior... not sure there is really any way to tell at this point other than opening it up and looking to see if the card is damaged.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by yoyo
Makes sense. See my post above about the crime ring. They had people pulling hundreds of cards off the racks. The the cards were tampered, then repackaged. Tampered cards from one store ended up at other stores pretty often.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by everyphilosophisevia
Bought a bad VGC from CVS a few days ago. When I opened it the number had been scratched off. Thought I had been very careful examining the exterior... not sure there is really any way to tell at this point other than opening it up and looking to see if the card is damaged.
Also, as a datapoint I received my replacement card from Incomm 6 days after reporting the tampered one in case anyone is wondering.
36902BRF likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by SideShowBob
No L3 data from CVS, you can check yourself (see link below about how to find it). they have been doing clawbacks on cards for people who somehow made their list, and they will continue if you keep doing it. You can try to buy values away from multiples of $505.95 (buy two cards for example, one for $500 the other for $300) but they may claw that back too (who spends $800 at CVS organically - not too many of us). A pause in the spend might make them stop looking, or might not.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/amex-...ut-of-the-box/
Not sure if this is relevant, but if you have a Discover card, go to Account Activity page. Expand one of the itemized retailer of your interest. Not sure if L3, but CVS seems to give more detail at least to Discover than I thought they would. If Discover can do it, I'm sure AMEX can do it as well. So, I started to use other drug stores rather than CVS since other drug store doesn't seem to give more data to Discover.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.