Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the thread for 2017 onward. The previous discussion can be found here.

UPDATED Oct-2018: A lot of CVS store take CCs for GC purchases. Some stores check CCs and scan driver's license (with hand scanner). The best GCs are OVVGC and VVGC. The only differences are card designs. The current fee is $5.95 for $25 - $500 variable loading. If prompted for PIN, enter the last 4 digits.

Look for mobile shipping portal with CVS bonus. Certain CCs have category bonus.

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads.
See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

Transaction limits since October 20, 2014:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $ 2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period. (Some are reporting limit of $1000 per 24 hrs as of 2/2018)?
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.

System error after giving them license If you keep getting this error, there could be a problem with the magnetic strip on your license. Have them use the wand to scan it instead.
Print Wikipost

CVS Master Thread(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2018, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by TheTaxman_Cometh
Drop will lock your account fast for a single VGC. So far I've been able to get reinstated each time but it takes weeks or months
Thanks, I'll be on the lookout.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 10:11 pm

When using US passport for id, do they scan it? If yes, there is the bar code located?
Also, I have the same question about Global Entry card (I called the customer service and they said
GE is not accepted at all, but I want to make sure).

Thanks,
Nik
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by NikSem
...they said
GE is not accepted at all, but I want to make sure.
A passport card and a global entry card are two different things. I thought the question was about the former.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 4:44 pm

I have a passport book (not a plastic passport card) and a plastic Global Entry card, so I am asking how exactly they should be used at the counter.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:34 pm

I seem to recall people reporting that when their driver's license did not scan at CVS, the cashier had to type in the info. Presumably they could do that with a US passport, unless they are satisfied with scanning the barcode for the passport number on the inside back cover. CVS sets the rule as to what they accept, and I haven't see any evidence they will take GE.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:27 pm

Here's evidence for GE card:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24923175-post10872.html

I tried it today and it doesn't scan. I didn't want to annoy and force them to enter stuff by hand.

Apart from DL, are there any scannable forms of ids as of today?
Old Oct 19, 2018, 6:44 am

I used my military id once, it's scannable for the military, but CVS entered it manually
Old Oct 20, 2018, 4:50 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Anyone tested Dosh + digital wallet like Apple Pay and Samsung Pay?
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
Anyone tested Dosh + digital wallet like Apple Pay and Samsung Pay?
Works fine for chase pay from inside samsung pay.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 6:13 pm

Since I was not around when these $4.95 Vanillas were more prevalent, is this what they look like? I feel like a few CVS locations in my area may still carry them.

But my dumb self has been getting the $5.95 ones that are silver or white.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 6:43 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by ne0ven0m
Since I was not around when these $4.95 Vanillas were more prevalent, is this what they look like? I feel like a few CVS locations in my area may still carry them.

I do not see any difference between VVGC vs OVVGC cards. Just different color and patterns. Also, I care less about the $1.00 difference.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 6:47 pm

Yeah that's one of the old Vanilla Visa's. They should all be gone though as the vendor reset the GC rack earlier this year. Any old ones leftover should produce an "Item Cannot Be Sold" message at the register.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by ne0ven0m

Yes this is the one. One of my nearby CVS had these and day 1 i was able to purchase and on day 2 ,the transaction got reversed after the payment. Issuing a refund.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by ananzi
Yeah that's one of the old Vanilla Visa's. They should all be gone though as the vendor reset the GC rack earlier this year. Any old ones leftover should produce an "Item Cannot Be Sold" message at the register.
wasn’t true for me. Rang up as normal with $4.95 fee
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by tuphat

wasn’t true for me. Rang up as normal with $4.95 fee
The same here. No issues with purchasing OVs with $4.95 fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.