Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: shdflyer
11/3/17: The vast majority of popular prepaid debit cards are now blocked via a register hardcode at most locations.

This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Newbies: READ for days and learn before trying. It is best to know what you are doing, so start slow. Refer to cards as "Debit" not gc.

"Money orders can be purchased at any Post Office™ location.
Pay for your money order with cash, debit card, or traveler’s checks."

Fees:
$0.01 to $500.00: $1.20
$500.01 to $1,000.00: $1.60

Most post offices allow split payment (multiple debit cards) for one money order up to a max of $1000.

Example of how to split payment:

1. "One MO please for $998.40. Id like to pay with 2 debit cards, $500 on each."
2. Swipe first card and enter pin.
3. Remind teller that its "$500 on that card". They will change the amount on their screen to $500. Transaction goes through and a small receipt prints.
4. Swipe 2nd card, enter pin.
5. Done.

Note: If you encounter a problem with the second card and have to cancel the transaction, it can be very difficult to recover your funds on the first card. Always have a back-up payment method available (bank debit card or cash).

GC Information: The fine print on the back of the package shows the bank issuer. Don't buy GCs with tampered packaging and always use cards ASAP.

Visa OneVanilla and Vanilla GC issued by Bancorp work at PO.

Visa/MC Gift Cards issued by MetaBank have not had any success at MOST USPS anywhere in the country since around September 2016.
These will NOT work if the clerk uses a touchscreen
These MAY work, and often do, at small, rural post offices where clerks do not have touch screens.

Visa Gift Cards from Walmart issued by Green Dot have stopped working for MO purchases for some.

GAME MOSTLY OVER, MOST USPO are HARD CODED to NOT ACCEPT NON BANK DEBIT CARDS
Exception seems to be small, rural post offices where clerks do not use touch screens.
Print Wikipost

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
Which I can totally see their point - if you exclude those people who take 15 min to mail out one package by priority

Yes! I can't speak for every postal clerk, but helping a knowledgable MSer buy a money order or two takes a minute of their time, and no frustration. You'd think they would welcome us.

Helping an idiot answer a simple Yes/No question like "Any liquids in here?" must kill them daily.

Or "Do you need it there overnight?" Or "Do you need the recipient to sign for this?" How on earth do those questions take forever, and why are those people always in front of me!!!???
Old Apr 26, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Originally Posted by cheaptom
Yes! I can't speak for every postal clerk, but helping a knowledgable MSer buy a money order or two takes a minute of their time, and no frustration. You'd think they would welcome us.

Helping an idiot answer a simple Yes/No question like "Any liquids in here?" must kill them daily.

Or "Do you need it there overnight?" Or "Do you need the recipient to sign for this?" How on earth do those questions take forever, and why are those people always in front of me!!!???
Today I was waiting to buy my 1 $498.80 MO while the elderly lady ahead of me, who seemed to be an immigrant from an Asian country wasn't sure what she was doing, she asked a few simple questions while the clerk did answer her but the clerk's tone seemed a little harsh in my book. Yes, she asked the customer about liquids and if she wanted it there overnight or a signature but when the customer asked "are you putting the stamp on there?" the clerk responded with "That's what this is" pointing to the long stamp printed from her machine. I guess the clerk's patients was already thin. When I walked up I was all smiles and asked how her day was going. She smiled back.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by cheaptom

If I am actually mailing something, I always use the self-service machine. It amazes me that more people don't use the machine.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 4:11 pm

Talking

Is there any 'statistics' showing that there is a higher / lower likelihood of having PI appear at your doorstep if you fill / dont fill out the form? or vice versa?

I am also on friendly basis with the PO I go liquidate, to the extent that when they see my face, the first question they ask me is "how much for today?". Or if they dont see me for a while, they will ask me why I havent come in such a long time. They even told me there are a couple of guys who come in regularly to do $60K in one-go and hold up the line for 1.5 hours. So since they volunteer this info, I decided to ask them (in a neutral tone) whether they are okay with that or not, and they replied me (without rancor), "well, customers are always right!" I just said, well, I hope they are nice to you, and somewhat help with your sales target. They claim that technically MO purchase (considering the amount of processing time) doesnt really translate to a high amount of [sales/time spent]. Which I can totally see their point - if you exclude those people who take 15 min to mail out one package by priority
I don't know if filling the form helps or not but it's definitely a more efficient method than going everyday for smaller amounts.

I calculated how long I take and 1.5 hr is a really close estimate.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by fangtl
When I turned around that's when I realized the Postmaster was actually standing behind me the whole time. He stated something along the lines of, "That's known as Smurfing."
"Smurfing" is structuring, which only involves the deposit of funds. He doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.

Very cool Postmaster, first and foremost, he explained the reason for the form was due to money laundering concerns from the head office.
"Money laundering" ONLY involves CASH. Again, clueless.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:19 pm

They even told me there are a couple of guys who come in regularly to do $60K in one-go and hold up the line for 1.5 hours.
What cards could they be using for $60K at a clip? In the meta days, sure, but now?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by FrankMS
What cards could they be using for $60K at a clip? In the meta days, sure, but now?
That was actually the first question that came to my mind too. I presume they are stocking up on Vanillas. Maybe multiple identities to CVS lol
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:47 pm

I love everyone reasoning that the clerks are happy to serve them and are excited to sell a money order.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by FrankMS

lol without metas its probally a-lot of fake id's lol.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: UA Premier-1K, DM,SM,BA,AA & SPG
Anyone have experience with US Bank VGCs with the BIN 403015 (the cupcake packaging) not working at USPS? I was able to clear the 407714's (Purple and Grey) US Bank VGCs today without issue, but the others got the standard declined error.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Chief Churn Like Crazy is Fake News! Carlos Castenada confirmed that Mexican Indians were the original MSers and frequent flyers. I believe they collected Peyote Button Miles. And I'll bet that not a single Mexican Indian was ever beaten and dragged off a flight, thrown off a plane for using the bathroom or konked on the head with a baby stroller.

Originally Posted by Hbax
Chief Churn Like Crazy was the original MSer.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by xshanex
Anyone have experience with US Bank VGCs with the BIN 403015 (the cupcake packaging) not working at USPS? I was able to clear the 407714's (Purple and Grey) US Bank VGCs today without issue, but the others got the standard declined error.
The consensus here was that no usb vgc works anymore. The fact that one of yours did is news.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
And I'll bet that not a single Mexican Indian was ever beaten and dragged off a flight, thrown off a plane for using the bathroom or konked on the head with a baby stroller.
My favorite example of 'Life Imitating Art' is the Mucinex commercial with the ball of green mucus being yanked out of his airliner seat by a member of the flight crew, with him saying, "Do you realize I have gold status?", and later as he's being dragged down the aisle, he says, "Do I still get the miles?".
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:07 am

I've gone through about 14-15k in the past few weeks across 7 different offices. 2-3 MOs per trip, all single swipes. (Yes that means I'm paying $2.40/$1000. I've made the decision that the extra 80 cents per thousand is worth it to avoid the weird looks and occasional "you're not gonna be able to do that pretty soon" conversations) Have not had a single hiccup or so much as a weird look. I'm in Texas BTW. Also I've started making it a habit to always have a friendly conversation with the cashier regardless of the mood I'm in. I honestly don't think a single one could tell you what the cards I'm using look like because I know to wait for the "swipe card" message, I'm fast, and we're always talking when I swipe.

Last edited by shipitkthx; Apr 29, 2017 at 6:23 pm
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Hbax
"Smurfing" is structuring, which only involves the deposit of funds. He doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.

"Money laundering" ONLY involves CASH. Again, clueless.
It's not clueless, you, and everybody else do not know the level of problems the USPS has with ML? can't blame them for wanting to protect themselves. You need to remember this isn't a right, the USPS could make a change to how they process MO's like how most of WM do it by asking to see the GC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.