Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Discounts/rebates on Visa/MC gift cards at Office Depot/Office Max(2014-2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discounts/rebates on Visa/MC gift cards at Office Depot/Office Max(2014-2017)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by LivelyFL
I got to my OM this morning and there were no $200 Visas. I opened the cabinet, reached in, pulled out a pack of $200's, pulled the cellophane wrapping off and stocked the shelf.
Just a by the way, unless you know your OM, I would refrain from doing that. I had an OM I went to once that I knew they were not checking inside despite me asking them to, and they were insisting there was nothing in there, so I opened it up and found them (of course), but like 2 managers and 3 cashiers practically chased me down yelling at me not to do that. (well I wouldnt have if you guys had been truthful - dont really care, only been there a handful of times and not going back). Just saying, asking nicely for them to check the center WITH you can go along way, unless you know your OM professionals and they are ok with this.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by hamokmonky
Just a by the way, unless you know your OM, I would refrain from doing that. I had an OM I went to once that I knew they were not checking inside despite me asking them to, and they were insisting there was nothing in there, so I opened it up and found them (of course), but like 2 managers and 3 cashiers practically chased me down yelling at me not to do that. (well I wouldnt have if you guys had been truthful - dont really care, only been there a handful of times and not going back). Just saying, asking nicely for them to check the center WITH you can go along way, unless you know your OM professionals and they are ok with this.
1. Did you ask them what the problem was? If it isn't locked and you aren't doing anything unscrupulous, I don't see what they can do about it.

2. Did they then sell you the gift cards after you found them?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Sfuzzi
1. Did you ask them what the problem was? If it isn't locked and you aren't doing anything unscrupulous, I don't see what they can do about it.

Not sure if the problem is the same with OM, but I have been told by other stores managers that they dont let people go into them for fraud concerns, whatever those are. Cashiers have told me they get into trouble, and I certainly dont want to burn any of my local stores by something as stupid as that. Just saying that a lot of employees will not look kindly unpon the practice of you helping yourself, and then some others would RATHER you help yourselves so they dont have to, its a hugely YMMV thing that its better to ask once and find out what the situation is.

And yes, they did. "Oh sorry, we mustve missed them..."
Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:25 pm

Any of u go to the same store everyday?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:47 pm

I've done this twice, helping myself to the hidden cache of wrapped $200 VGCs. Neither time has anyone balked/complained. If anything they're probably seeing this as us doing them a service and restocking their shelves.

Yes, they've always sold them to me.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold

I got yelled at the other day from across the store by a very rude employee while I was digging thru the cabinet. When I spoke with the manager about it I told him its no different than any other stock on the floor. He said they have problems with people walking out with the cards. My response was that they aren't even activated yet and he said the thieves aren't the brightest bulbs in the box. The manager was very nice and apologetic for his employee and asked me to come back the next day for more cards. He even found me some visa's when all I saw were mc's.

I don't shop at OM except when they have promos like this so I don't have a rapport built up with them the same way I do at staples. My other OM's I've had varying degrees of success... two could care less what I do in the cabinet and at the third store the door is completely detached (prob from a crazed SD'er) so I feel obligated to ask for help in that cabinet for fear of having gc's flying everywhere if I didn't have the door balanced on my foot just right
Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:30 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
I mentioned on here earlier about the recent problems at certain locations due to some idiot criminals that allegedly were using stolen # to buy gcs at a number of stores including om. They were caught, but the rest of their organization is still being investigated. Interestingly, they were buying iTunes, amazon, macys and other store cgs, not VGC! Reportedly, they send some of them to their buddies in NY to be sold.

The 4 that were caught seconds after coming out of an OM store (good job OM employees) were 20-33 something Asian males. Curious what nationality are these names of the alleged 4: ming chun shi, dong houdong, wen fei shi and yu liu. No racist comments please. We all know org. crime has many faces.

Glad they caught them and glad VGCs weren't reportedly involved.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:58 pm

Anyone know if this deal is live in the Chicago area? I'm about to hit some up this weekend.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:06 pm

Programs: Asia Miles
Originally Posted by burgerking089
Anyone know if this deal is live in the Chicago area? I'm about to hit some up this weekend.
Someone on Boardingarea said he/she was able to find it in Evanston - true, I have been there yesterday and saw the promo sign, but only one $100 VGC left, with several $50 and $25 VGCs and many US Bank MGCs of $100. No $200 VGCs.

I did not buy anything, as the $200 ones were out of stock, but you may check if they come back later on.

Also checked one OM in Chicago (strictly), but did not find the promo sign. Didn't ask the cashier, and didn't buy.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:20 pm

Programs: Total Rewards Diamond, Delta Gold, Starwood Gold, Mosaic
Originally Posted by Churnman
I mentioned on here earlier about the recent problems at certain locations due to some idiot criminals that allegedly were using stolen # to buy gcs at a number of stores including om. They were caught, but the rest of their organization is still being investigated. Interestingly, they were buying iTunes, amazon, macys and other store cgs, not VGC! Reportedly, they send some of them to their buddies in NY to be sold.

The 4 that were caught seconds after coming out of an OM store (good job OM employees) were 20-33 something Asian males. Curious what nationality are these names of the alleged 4: ming chun shi, dong houdong, wen fei shi and yu liu. No racist comments please. We all know org. crime has many faces.

Chinese
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RyanNYNJ
Chinese
Mainland Chinese to be more precisely (as opposite to Chinese from Taiwan or Hong Kong) based on the pronunciation.

Here is the news link.

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-n...o-social-media
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Sometimes I read these stories and I wonder what my story would read like if they arrested me for MSing

"An Asian male in his 30s was arrested leaving OfficeMax after purchasing $1000 in Visa GC. When the police searched his car, they also found more gift cards and money orders worth thousands of dollars, and a huge stash of used gift cards. Furthermore, police also recovered several Amex Serve cards and Target Redcards belonging to other people..."

Tell me that doesn't sound like any of you guys on here.. haha
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:53 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
All the $200s got cleared out at my local Office Max too. I was just there the night before where the shelf was fully stocked, and lo and behold today all the $200s were out.

Lots of $100s left though, stuff that people from SlickDeals don't consider a money maker. I'm just happy about buying VGCs with effectively no fees.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 2:41 am
XP1

Originally Posted by Churnman

Last week, my card data was stolen and used at Giant in Horsham, PA and then at Exxon Mobile in Brooklyn, NY.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:58 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Originally Posted by XP1
Last week, my card data was stolen and used at Giant in Horsham, PA and then at Exxon Mobile in Brooklyn, NY.
You may be one of the victims in this case the authorities are looking for and might be able to provide valuable information. I will PM you a # to call.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.