Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Discounts/rebates on Visa/MC gift cards at Office Depot/Office Max(2014-2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discounts/rebates on Visa/MC gift cards at Office Depot/Office Max(2014-2017)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by Churnman
You have a rare one. I can't use these at any WM's in my area including Supers.
I'm fortunate as all super WM and neighborhood WM accept the dine anywhere cards.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
I have purchased VGCs at many different OD/OM stores (including two stores this morning), and I have never had a problem with multiple transactions during the same visit.
It is completely locale / store specific. The least thing one can generalize in this activity is store policy which the store management can set on top of corporate's, which in this case is one per household / business per day. There are stores allow multiple transactions and there are stores are strictly one per day, even in the same city within a few miles apart.

Not to mention there is a concentration of stores in your locale. Many parts of the country there are only OD left, such in our area.

Count yourself lucky that you can buy multiples in your area but that does not mean someone in a different town can do the same. Each person has to find out how his stores would behave.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by briang191
Does buying 2 x 200 trigger a manager override?
No. However b2b2b transactions on same register, the 3rd or 4th one require "security override" even each transaction is less than $400.

Originally Posted by Travelz
The FiveBack cards for $200 don't seem worth it, but I like the $500 cards from Simon.
Same feeling. The $200 FB is not worth the extra work for additional $2.75 gain each as it involves visiting yet another store for conversion.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Happy
No. However b2b2b transactions on same register, the 3rd or 4th one require "security override" even each transaction is less than $400.

Same feeling. The $200 FB is not worth the extra work for additional $2.75 gain each as it involves visiting yet another store for conversion.
Thanks for the info on b2b2b
Old Dec 19, 2016, 11:19 am

Went back to the same OD and made separate transactions with no problems.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 11:20 am

The worst thing about these deals is standing in line at WalMart, like right now...
Old Dec 19, 2016, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Java Cool Dude
The worst thing about these deals is standing in line at WalMart, like right now...
Go early in the morning or late at night.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Java Cool Dude
Went back to the same OD and made separate transactions with no problems.
No luck separating transactions. But I'm getting closer to maxing out 50k spend and that's my goal
Old Dec 19, 2016, 12:29 pm

DP on my recent experiment with 5Bs bought at OD/OM brought to Lowe's. I bought the DE cards paid the fee with cash and $200 processed as credit yesterday afternoon. The $10 CBs posted early morning today which is quicker than my experience at CVS doing both debit and credit transactions. Will buy more 5Bs after work. If they're gone, will buy the DE/Groc gebits.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
DP on my recent experiment with 5Bs bought at OD/OM brought to Lowe's. I bought the DE cards paid the fee with cash and $200 processed as credit yesterday afternoon. The $10 CBs posted early morning today which is quicker than my experience at CVS doing both debit and credit transactions. Will buy more 5Bs after work. If they're gone, will buy the DE/Groc gebits.
ummm... what do you value your time @ per hour? hint: very little unless you've found a lowes that is going to allow you to buy a lot of gift cards with a gift card back to back to back to... (gl with that).

it's easy to get caught up in the addictive nature of this. i've done it as well. thing is, for someone who is intelligent and driven, there are surely far better uses of your time than 'maximizing' every 'deal' for a few extra dollars.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 5:06 pm

Thank you for your concern. I just made the experiment since I spent the same amount on the regular purple Visas when ODOM had the offer. Since they have plenty of the 5Bs, I said why not try it since the fees were the same and I got $400 worth for $398.90 plus the URs earned for every 2. I am lucky to have stores that allow several b2b transactions as long as I'm not holding the line. It so happen that OD is a block from a Lowe's and WMsuper that shares a parking lot so it wasn't difficult to buy and drain quickly. My Lowe's and WMs are also very MS friendly.

Overall, I can blend MS with all other activities so it works well for me I hope you're all enjoying your holidays!
Old Dec 19, 2016, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
Are GE's good at WM? Ijust bought one and havent tried.

My OM are out of FBs this time around.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by lumangoy
Are GE's good at WM? Ijust bought one and havent tried.

My OM are out of FBs this time around.
I've used a GE at walmart before I'm pretty sure it varies so you should test it out first before buying a bunch of them.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: HH D i a m o n d !!!
if only there was an OD closer than 2 hrs
Old Dec 20, 2016, 3:27 pm

All they have at my not so local office max are the $50 (+ $4.95 fee) & $25 (+ $3.95 fee) cards. I walked out with nothing because I'm not interested in a loss of $14.70 ($29.70 in fees - $15 savings)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.