Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Discounts/rebates on Visa/MC gift cards at Office Depot/Office Max(2014-2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discounts/rebates on Visa/MC gift cards at Office Depot/Office Max(2014-2017)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2016, 1:12 am

Does anybody know if any of the DE/GE/SE cards work on Amazon? I tried GE and that does not seem to work. Wondering if the other cards might work. Thanks.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 6:30 am

They don't work on Amazon
Old Nov 25, 2016, 10:23 am

PSA especially to newbies ~ know that liquidation methods can change quickly, it is best for people to buy $300 worth initially of the DE/SE/GE visa GCs and try to drain it AT their supercenters and/or 'hood markets or even their grocery stores. NO ONE can guarantee that what works for them at THEIR stores will work for others regardless of store/location/state; it's really a matter of luck. If their first try doesn't work and they continue to buy several thousands worth, they have no one else to blame if they get stucked with those GCs. If they can't drain the $300, at least they got it for a discount and may take time to drain it but they not stucked with several thousands worth like others.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 2:33 pm

It's the worst when you run into an assistant manager who won't let you buy $20-200 variables with a credit card. Yesterday I found a location that had a large stock of VGC left on the shelves, so I bought eight with the intent to come back the next day. I was actually worried that I wouldn't be able to by them all yesterday because the cashier was going on his break after my first transaction, and the store manager took over for him, but he did not have a problem with doing the next three transactions.

So today I was back and I got this old wrinkly woman with blonde hair who was an assistant manager and told me that I could not buy any with a credit card. I told her I thought that only the $500 variables were not allowed on a credit card but she would not budge.

I am still hopeful with this location for future promos because the actual manger did not care.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 3:53 pm

Wrap-up of issues with Movies Everywhere cards: I called and was told the cards will not work at grocery stores (where I tried to use them) because they are only allowed to be used for theaters or movie rentals. I explained the terms and conditions don't say this, and told them even their hold music talks about how to use them at gas stations. They offered to send me a $400 check for the four $100 cards, which should come within "30 business days," and I confirmed they deactivated the cards. It says "This card is blocked from use" when trying to view the balance online.

I cashed out all my Dining Everywhere and Style Everywhere cards successfully. I would buy Grocery Everywhere cards next time wherever available. If they change something suddenly, at least with the Grocery Everywhere cards they should be obliged to let them work at grocery stores for money orders.

There is another $20–$100 card with $3.95 fee called Fuel Everywhere. I didn't buy this one but I would avoid it too and just stick with the $20–$200 cards with $4.95 fee next time (Dining, Style, and Grocery Everywhere). I would also just buy a few of the DE/SE/GE cards next time and cash them out to confirm they are still working before buying a lot.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 8:53 pm

Movies Everywhere card works at Walmart dot com
Old Dec 8, 2016, 9:48 pm

Credit Cards no longer work for Variables

Surprised nobody posted this already. I tried 2 different OD and both would not let me buy the variable AGC with a Credit Card. I was able to look at the screen and it looks like the Visa GC fall into this restriction too. Anybody else run into this issue?
Old Dec 8, 2016, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by gq533
Surprised nobody posted this already. I tried 2 different OD and both would not let me buy the variable AGC with a Credit Card. I was able to look at the screen and it looks like the Visa GC fall into this restriction too. Anybody else run into this issue?
No one would post because no one would be buying these gift cards unless they were on sale. But that would be pretty sad if they changed the cash registers to no longer take credit on the Visa GCs! We have already been through this song and dance before with the $500 cards.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 10:03 pm

They are on sale this week. The AGCs have no purchase fee this week. I don't have a way liquidate GCs, so I just buy them and use it for regular spend. So a AGC with no purchase fee is almost the same as the $15 rebate VGC.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 10:12 pm

They are on sale this week. The AGCs have no purchase fee this week. I don't have a way liquidate GCs, so I just buy them and use it for regular spend. So a AGC with no purchase fee is almost the same as the $15 rebate VGC.
Oh I thought that was Amazon but now I get it's American Express. Yeah, that's about the weakest possible promo since you can't buy money orders with Amex at all.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They had the same promo on AGC last year at the same time.

However, earlier this year they had the instant discount on AGC just like the VGC. I bought enough of them for our general usages such as paying insurances, shopping on consumable goods, etc. The fact that these cannot be flipped seems to also make them less prone to being hack so you could hold on them for actual future spending, essentially turn all non bonus categories into having a nice 6 to 7% discount.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 8:47 am

Can AGC be used to load Serve cards? I've still got an active account.

I guess it's moot though if they are coding this to reject credit cards on purchase.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shimps1
Can AGC be used to load Serve cards? I've still got an active account.

I guess it's moot though if they are coding this to reject credit cards on purchase.
No. AGC does not have PIN. Therefore can only be used as credit card.

Fixed value GCs are purchasable with CC. Only Variables with up to $500 are cash/debit only.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 10:30 am

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
OD/OM registers have been hard coded against the purchases of the variable (up to $500) VGC and AGCs for a long time. Still GTG on variables up to $200 and fixed.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 10:55 pm

I've been buying the variable $20-$200 VGCs with a CC during the last couple of OD rebates, so this is a new development. I do remember the days when the variable $500 were cash only, but I noticed during the last 2 VGC rebates that the signs were no longer up.

I was able to find fixed $200 AGC, so I was able to buy them with a CC. However, I do not see any fixed $200 VGCs anymore, so this would put a big dent if OD has another rebate sale for the VGC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.