Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Discounts/rebates on Visa/MC gift cards at Office Depot/Office Max(2014-2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discounts/rebates on Visa/MC gift cards at Office Depot/Office Max(2014-2017)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2014, 7:09 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Anyone been to an OM this week? The promotion was intended to last until 12/27 so I was wondering if some locations took the sign away to act like it was over. Of course, some never displayed the sign to begin with. This is the last week to draw in customers, so surely the smart managers will make sure stock is available if they have any and leave the sign up until 12/27. I plan on visiting some locations this week if possible.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by bargainhunter3
Data Point:

I went to my local OM, got the last 200 visa and 2 200 MCs, then walked over to Wally. I set the PINs on MCs (USBank), did the workaround on an old POS. Would not go through for me on MC, authorization in progress was long and finally got cancelled out. Tried Visa and worked flawlessly. Any of you experience the same issues from the OM Promo?
GCs sold by OM can take up to 4 hours to activate. I typically see the average time about 30 minutes. Also note, even if you call in and see that there is a balance, does NOT mean the cards are ready to use. If you are still having problems after 4 hrs, then its probably an issue with the walmart system at the time or the buttons you or the cashier are pressing incorrectly.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Churnman
Anyone been to an OM this week? The promotion was intended to last until 12/27 so I was wondering if some locations took the sign away to act like it was over. Of course, some never displayed the sign to begin with. This is the last week to draw in customers, so surely the smart managers will make sure stock is available if they have any and leave the sign up until 12/27. I plan on visiting some locations this week if possible.
I saw a sign there today. When I was at the register I saw the number '15' in big letters on the sign, and what looked like a % symbol next to it. I think it may have been a different sign than the one that was there last week.. But the scan sheet still gave me the promo.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 2:51 pm

Bought 12 $200 cards on one purchase today at a store in the STL metro area. Unfortunately it triggered the "paperwork" that needed to be completed.

I bought 9 $200 cards a few days which didn't require the form.

Does anyone know the exact dollar amount that triggers the additional documentation to be completed by the clerk?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by manispend
Bought 12 $200 cards on one purchase today at a store in the STL metro area. Unfortunately it triggered the "paperwork" that needed to be completed.

Does anyone know the exact dollar amount that triggers the additional documentation to be completed by the clerk?
$2,000.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 4:21 pm

One OM by me does it for anything over $300.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 6:11 pm

I just discovered that the MC's already include a pin# in the package. No need to call to set number. They work flawlessly at my local WM for anything debit-card related using the workaround.

If this has been covered somewhere prior than just ignore this message.

Thanks again to OP for the heads up on this offer!!!!!!
Old Dec 22, 2014, 6:46 pm

[QUOTE=manispend;24038476]Bought 12 $200 cards on one purchase today at a store in the STL metro area.

QUOTE]

does your 9x $200 cards give you $120 discount? all at one receipt?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 7:08 pm

[QUOTE=ZeroMile;24039433]
Bought 12 $200 cards on one purchase today at a store in the STL metro area.

QUOTE]

does your 9x $200 cards give you $120 discount? all at one receipt?
He scanned the discount code in their 'book' once -- and the computer automatically did the $120 discount -- all one receipt. Same thing today except it was $180 off.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:18 pm

just saw this and can't read all the posts. wondering whether those VIsa and MC gift card can be used to load to blue bird at Walmart? thanks
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by caroline2014
just saw this and can't read all the posts. wondering whether those VIsa and MC gift card can be used to load to blue bird at Walmart? thanks
No problem here loading the Visa cards to Kate & clerk at the MC.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:53 pm

I finally got someone on their website chat support to help me and it was a hilarious conversation. He was real friendly and even mentioned some of his bad experiences at their stores. Did get the other part of money back and some coupons to use. Of course now I'm no where near any OM just OD stores
Old Dec 22, 2014, 10:02 pm

Used the 1414 coupon posted above, but it didn't automatically take $20 off every $300 denomination. Had to split the transaction in two, and they had a hard cap at 2 per household. Even still, it paid for dinner across the street and enough miles for most of a one way ticket up north.

On my second go, the cashier tried to show me that by swiping the card over the sign that says 'don't swipe cards here' it would still work. I then explained the ideas behind magnets and opened the package to show him that these cards have magnetic strips. Longs story short, be careful with where your cashiers place your cards, and check your receipts. He then proceeded to give me the wrong activation code for a card I didn't purchase. Be vigilant folks!
Old Dec 22, 2014, 11:33 pm

Is Office Max allowed to do this?

It seems illegal. They are calling in the transactions and putting two pending holds on your credit card thereby lowering your credit limit on your card. For example. I charged $600 and there are two pending transactions for $600 each on my card. One from swiping my card and paying and the other when they phone in for authorization.

Now I am over my credit limit and cannot use my card (soley due to the double pending charges)

Is this legal?
Old Dec 23, 2014, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by Sfuzzi
It seems illegal. They are calling in the transactions and putting two pending holds on your credit card thereby lowering your credit limit on your card. For example. I charged $600 and there are two pending transactions for $600 each on my card. One from swiping my card and paying and the other when they phone in for authorization.

Now I am over my credit limit and cannot use my card (soley due to the double pending charges)

Is this legal?
I don't think OM is doing, it may be happening because of cashier the way he does.
My 12/20 trans does not show on my pending charges yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.