Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Discounts/rebates on Visa/MC gift cards at Office Depot/Office Max(2014-2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discounts/rebates on Visa/MC gift cards at Office Depot/Office Max(2014-2017)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:31 pm

dammit chase, tried buying 3 $200 using ink card and it didn't go through, ended up using the sapphire card. walked to my car and chase fraud texted me asking if i just used my ink card
Old Dec 17, 2014, 7:45 pm

Went to my local OfficeMax today, and there were zero $200 in stock! The cashier and the manager were super nice and cool. They told me a lady came in this morning and grabbed all of them. I hate these kinds of people!! Its just selfish and rude. Of course they were not enforcing the limit. I brought 3 $100s, and left.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:23 pm

I've made 3 trips so far, purchasing 3x$200 each time. Each time, the barcode is scanned and 40 comes off. Today, the guy scanned 2 different barcodes and $60 actually came off my purchase of $600 (3x200) bring the total to 565ish. Not sure if there was a different, additional promotion going on or the guy just wasn't sure what he was doing. But thats what happened (and Im not complaining).
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:44 pm

My store couldn't find the barcode to scan, even though they had the sign out. I just had them punch in the coupon code posted here and it worked. I bought $600 worth and $40 came off.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by RhubarbPie
I've made 3 trips so far, purchasing 3x$200 each time. Each time, the barcode is scanned and 40 comes off. Today, the guy scanned 2 different barcodes and $60 actually came off my purchase of $600 (3x200) bring the total to 565ish. Not sure if there was a different, additional promotion going on or the guy just wasn't sure what he was doing. But thats what happened (and Im not complaining).
Same thing happened to me. I bought other $200 in other GC's (not for MS) so my total was like $760.85.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:26 pm

No dice at my OM this morning. I'll try again tomorrow afternoon.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by michael_v
You can get $40 off in a transaction if you buy 3 X $200, with only one scan of the coupon.
Is it the same coupon that's being scanned?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by benny08
Went to my local OfficeMax today, and there were zero $200 in stock! The cashier and the manager were super nice and cool. They told me a lady came in this morning and grabbed all of them. I hate these kinds of people!! Its just selfish and rude. Of course they were not enforcing the limit. I brought 3 $100s, and left.
You snooze you lose. No real ability to complain as you shouldve gone on day 1 when the store opened if you wanted inventory to be there. That said Ive gone every day since monday and have obtained $6K+ and my store still has a lot of inventory, so meh....Some stores just dont see a lot of MSers, so how should we know to leave some for someone else. Will probably get another $2K today and there will still be some left.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by msp3
Is it the same coupon that's being scanned?
Yes, the one ending in 1414, posted upthread.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by RhubarbPie
What is the coupon code from your receipt?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by babycakes01
With my purchase of 3X$200 cards today at OM, the clerk called the sale to Chase to receive purchase authorization. They told me that effective two weeks ago, all gift card purchases in excess of $200 on a cc required authorization. The manager was there and we chatted while waiting for the call to go thru and he "confirmed" this change to policy. I took quite a while for them to do this but the sale went thru.

Ohio location. Anybody else have this happen? Thanks!
Yes, it is has happened at 1/3 office max I have been. They actually had to call on the phone like in the days of old
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:33 am

I dunno what the rule is. I've been to the same OM mutliple times all for $600 and only once did they run the pre-auth. One other time they tried running the pre-auth and failed because it didn't take the number (I think they called Visa instead of AMEX since it complained about too few digits) but they still just let me buy them. All other times they didn't even bother with the pre-auth.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Churnman
Does your OM have $500s? If so, this promo would certainly work since it's simply means buy at least 300 in GC (MC or Visa) and get $20 off.

To those in Ohio asking if others are now requiring forms to be filled out for $300 or more... yes, that is happening at many locations in Ohio due to some idiot criminals who attempting buying GCs with stolen cc this past weekend. I understand they were caught, which is great. Idiots like that make things more difficult for legit customers. Not only are some stores requiring forms to be filled out (they keep them on file in case they are needed later) but also they call in to Chase for authorization for any gc purchase 300 or more. I hate that because they end up placing a temp hold amount in addition to the purchase and that temp hold can stay on your acct for about a week which eats into your cl. Chase has told me in the past that I can call the merchant to get them to remove it earlier, but OM reps never seem to know what to do. I've even tried asking the cashier who calls to then call back to get it removed once the purchase went through, but they won't or don't know what to do (some even claim that it doesn't place a temp auth. and temporarily take away some from your cl, but that's not true in my limited experience.
I did not have fill out a form but my TWO pending holds were put on my credit card for $780 for just one transaction. Put me over my credit my limit.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
If there's a particular OM employee that really was great at customer service be sure to use the receipt and submit a review online or by phone to give them credit for their great customer service and high marks for their store. I believe they may have a contest going on right now and you may just help that favorite OM get some nice bonuses/prizes this month.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Elite Platinum
Originally Posted by benny08
Went to my local OfficeMax today, and there were zero $200 in stock!
I got to my OM this morning and there were no $200 Visas. I opened the cabinet, reached in, pulled out a pack of $200's, pulled the cellophane wrapping off and stocked the shelf.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.