Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Any experience using Bluebird in foreign ATMs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2013, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, DL, BA, HH, IHG

From what I understand, BB does not charge the dreaded FTF. I am just now up and running with BB and would like to use it to withdraw cash overseas. I would like to hear of any successes/problems from anyone who has used it for this purpose.

I have been using a Capital One debit card for several years for this purpose. I earn a few measly points on it per month because I keep a low balance. But they have been very reliable and I have never been charged the dreaded foreign transaction fee.

Since I have other uses for Bluebird it would be convenient to use this as my go-to overseas ATM card and mix up my BB use a little.
Old May 21, 2013, 8:25 am

yes, it works. $2 fee, no FOREX.
Old May 21, 2013, 8:59 am

Programs: UA, HH
+1 used in Hong Kong - no problems. Small fee, since I did not have DD. You might want to call them first to double check what ATMs to use for no/ small fee.
Old May 21, 2013, 9:02 am

No problems in Paris two weeks ago. Tried for 500 euro and denied. Scaled back to 400 Euro and sailed right through. No FTF.

Got an exchange rate as expected in line with markets that day. $2 fee.
Old May 21, 2013, 1:12 pm

Tried it in Toronto, CA, in early April, had DD, but was still charged a $2 fee, no FTF percentage, and it looked to be the interbank rate, got $100 CAD for about $98 USD, then the $2 fee.
Old May 21, 2013, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Worked in Buenos Aires last summer. ATM fee but no forex.
Old May 21, 2013, 1:46 pm

Programs: hilton gold,hyatt
i used BB in paris,swiss and Belgium without any issues at ATM
Old May 22, 2013, 3:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
Used in Italy. No fees.
Old May 22, 2013, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, DL, BA, HH, IHG
Need to do a travel notification with Bluebird? I am guessing not, since it is your own money you have loaded on it.

I was recently informed by Chase that I no longer needed to give them advanced warning of my travel plans when I take their credit cards.
Old May 22, 2013, 3:15 pm

Programs: BA, UA, US, AA
I had no luck using Bluebird in the UK. Got 'invalid card'. Annoying.
Old May 22, 2013, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA, UA, US, AA
Originally Posted by guera
Need to do a travel notification with Bluebird? I am guessing not, since it is your own money you have loaded on it.

I was recently informed by Chase that I no longer needed to give them advanced warning of my travel plans when I take their credit cards.
I got that message from Chase too but I still tell them, since my auth. user is still spending on the card at home and Chase flags transactions occurring simultaneously on two continents. At least, for me they do.
Old May 22, 2013, 3:33 pm

It can only be used with ATMs holding the "Money Pass" symbol? Or have you guys tried others as well?
Old May 22, 2013, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
Originally Posted by guera

I did. Not sure it was necessary but I had questions about it anyway so it was good to call.
Old May 22, 2013, 7:11 pm

Will this also work for the AMEX Prepaid card? Anyone tried it?
Old May 22, 2013, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA, HH
Originally Posted by SuperKirby
It can only be used with ATMs holding the "Money Pass" symbol? Or have you guys tried others as well?
No, Money Pass is not necessary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.