Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: Hilton Gold; AA Platinum;Marriott Gold; Hyatt Diamond
US Bank MC issues at Walmart?

Late yesterday afternoon I purchased two $500 US Bank MC's and proceeded to my local KATE to deposit on to my Bluebird. Seemed like everything was going fine until I received my receipt which said "Debit Not Approved Host Timeout".
Both cards still show as having the total value of $500 still attached so I am going to try to go to another Walmart to the service desk to try in person to reload to BB. Anyone else having this issue consistently? This is a first for me, but I know in reading it has occurred for others.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 12:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold; AA Platinum;Marriott Gold; Hyatt Diamond
US Bank MC issues at Walmart- resolved

Went to another Walmart this morning in person to the Customer Service desk to load the US Bank MC's to my BB. Was successful and able to already pay a bill out of my BB. Looks like it was just a connection issue with the KATE from yesterday.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 4:38 pm

Programs: many
Originally Posted by cupps
Went to another Walmart this morning in person to the Customer Service desk to load the US Bank MC's to my BB. Was successful and able to already pay a bill out of my BB. Looks like it was just a connection issue with the KATE from yesterday.
Yesterday all the usbank mc's I purchased had failures, each required a manual reset by csr which were then successful.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 9:13 pm

So yesterday I tried to use some Meta cards, which always have worked great for me at WM and everywhere. (Mine are the AAA cards).

At WM, I got a "Host Timeout" (and card was drained)

So I tried at Publix....and got a "Not Authorized" (and card was drained). Publix csm is nice, recognizes me, knows what I'm doing. She was baffled. She gave me Tracer # and Ref # on both transactions after I figured out GC was drained.

Transaction log shows Posted transaction, NOT temp auth. Will these auto-reverse (Wiki says so, but this was more than 24 hours ago, does it take a few days)? I don't want to dispute the charges. I tried one card at WM at Moneycenter, one with Kate and like a dumbass I tried 2 at Publix thinking I had pulled the wrong one the first time....so I'm out $2K until these auto reverse or I have to dispute?

Anyone done this and can offer advice?

Thanks.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by markbernat
So yesterday I tried to use some Meta cards, which always have worked great for me at WM and everywhere. (Mine are the AAA cards).

So I tried at Publix....and got a "Not Authorized" (and card was drained). Publix csm is nice, recognizes me, knows what I'm doing. She was baffled. She gave me Tracer # and Ref # on both transactions after I figured out GC was drained.

Transaction log shows Posted transaction, NOT temp auth. Will these auto-reverse (Wiki says so, but this was more than 24 hours ago, does it take a few days)? I don't want to dispute the charges. I tried one card at WM at Moneycenter, one with Kate and like a dumbass I tried 2 at Publix thinking I had pulled the wrong one the first time....so I'm out $2K until these auto reverse or I have to dispute?

Thanks.
I can only share experience with WM where my DC was drained but no MO printed. The friendly cashier told me that funds will go back to my DC but I wasn't satisfied with that, so I requested to see the cash dept personnel who acted in my favor and gave me cash refund since I paid with DC. As long as you have proof of the failed transaction, ask for cash dept personnel and see what they say. Good luck!
Old Sep 30, 2015, 2:25 pm
jk2
Original Poster

Thanks.
I had the same issue on Monday - tried to use 2 AAA GC in WM, but card was declined with "host timeout". After 2 attempts (with 2 AAA cards), I paid the rest with regular debit card. Anyway, I checked a balance of my AAA VGCs and sure enough a balance is $0. It's been 2 days and the balance is still $0. I checked my WMT receipt and in the place of failed transaction it doesn't say "debit declined" or something like that. In the place of approval code it says "APPR CODE #####", while in case of my regular debit card (the one which worked) it says "APPR CODE 121321". Now I'm thinking what should I do - wait or go to WM.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 3:09 pm

IF a receipt printed out which shows the "drained" cards as having been successfully used for payment, WM needs to refund you with cash or another MO if they like. IF THERE IS NO TRANSACTION RECEIPT AT ALL, the money will eventually return to the plastic.

Last edited by Alcibiades; Oct 1, 2015 at 8:21 am
Old Sep 30, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL-PM
AAA CARD problems

In the same boat. The AAA cards gave a host timeout error at WM, but drained. hoping it auto reverses. For those where the auto reverse happened, how long did it take?
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:43 pm

Update, still don't have resolution on the cards that were drained, but did a test buy at Publix this morning and it was declined ($5). Tried again this afternoon at Kroger and it was approved (also for $5) so I went full amounts at Kroger and was able to complete a few transactions and then had no problems at other Krogers, Publix, Walmart and Kate.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 2:57 am
jk2
Original Poster

Update, still don't have resolution on the cards that were drained, but did a test buy at Publix this morning and it was declined ($5). Tried again this afternoon at Kroger and it was approved (also for $5) so I went full amounts at Kroger and was able to complete a few transactions and then had no problems at other Krogers, Publix, Walmart and Kate.
Sorry, not clear - did you use a new card?
Old Oct 1, 2015, 2:58 am
jk2
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
IF a receipt printed out, WM needs to refund you with cash. IF NO RECEIPT, the money will eventually return to the plastic.
What kind of receipt? Since both my AAA cards were "timeout", I had to complete a transaction with plain debit card. So, the only receipt I have is for purchase MO.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by jk2
Sorry, not clear - did you use a new card?
Yes. Took another card that was purchased in same batch. Did a test try for $5 at Publix yesterday morning. That one was "Not Authorized" and the $5 DID come off the card just like the $500 did the day before.

Tried again in the afternoon at Kroger. Another $5. This time it worked fine, so I tried a bigger amount to drain entire card and that worked fine as well. I was then able to cash out the rest of the cards in the batch via normal purchases at WM, Kate, etc etc.

So whatever was stopping the cards has cleared up. The rep at AAA told me that others had experienced the same problem, not even with Manu Spend. One lady said she tried to use as debit at Sams Club (on Monday) and same thing happened to her as we have experienced.

Now to get those original transaction $ back... even the $5 transaction that didn't go through.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 1:24 pm
jk2
Original Poster

Yes. Took another card that was purchased in same batch. Did a test try for $5 at Publix yesterday morning. That one was "Not Authorized" and the $5 DID come off the card just like the $500 did the day before.

Tried again in the afternoon at Kroger. Another $5. This time it worked fine, so I tried a bigger amount to drain entire card and that worked fine as well. I was then able to cash out the rest of the cards in the batch via normal purchases at WM, Kate, etc etc.

So whatever was stopping the cards has cleared up. The rep at AAA told me that others had experienced the same problem, not even with Manu Spend. One lady said she tried to use as debit at Sams Club (on Monday) and same thing happened to her as we have experienced.

Now to get those original transaction $ back... even the $5 transaction that didn't go through.
Thanks! So far, my "used" cards still have $0 balance. Did you ask a rep at AAA if you should wait for refund or contact WM?
Old Oct 2, 2015, 5:19 pm

Programs: DL-PM
How long does it take for the money to return?

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
IF a receipt printed out which shows the "drained" cards as having been successfully used for payment, WM needs to refund you with cash or another MO if they like. IF THERE IS NO TRANSACTION RECEIPT AT ALL, the money will eventually return to the plastic.
Any idea on how long it takes for the money to eventually return to the host timeout drained cards? Days, Weeks, or months?
Old Oct 2, 2015, 6:16 pm
jk2
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sandeepn
Any idea on how long it takes for the money to eventually return to the host timeout drained cards? Days, Weeks, or months?
I wish I knew the answer. My card is drained since Monday, full 5 days. If on Monday it doesn't change, I'm going to call Metabank.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.