Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London Luxury Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2013, 5:51 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by BENLEE
Not very good feedback on the Savoy. I have an upcoming stay at this hotel for 6 nights. Used to stay at the FS London but want to experience something new for a change this time.
There IS a dress code at the Savoy. Bring your Tux. I hope you got that message.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

savoy >

here > http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post15254719
(scroll up for Goodmorning2U report for apartment at Hotel 41)

and here - a year ago - still going on? >

Originally Posted by nba1017
Mike, One of the funnier posts I've read on here in a while. Why, why, why did you book at the Savoy? By all means, move to somewhere better--there are plenty of choices.
Originally Posted by Raffles
Savoy is very casual. Most of the customers in the River Restaurant must be on cheapo Groupon deals, looking at the frequency of Groupon promos for that place I get!
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Oh dear...
Indeed, here is one of them:
http://www.selected.telegraph.co.uk/...or-pound39/400
with 483 sold just from this one
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
39 pounds no less! This makes for one of the most inexpensive deals in London.
published dress code at savoy and ritz a year ago >
sounds like savoy might have been requiring more than was published

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
http://www.fairmont.com/savoy/GuestS...s/Overview.htm
odd variation...

Smart Casual, No Sportswear [yes shorts]
- river restaurant
- american bar
- beaufort bar
- thames foyer

Smart Casual [yes sportswear and shorts]
- simpson's in the strand

Smart casual, no shorts or sportswear
Smart trainers and denim are acceptable
- savoy grill

http://www.theritzlondon.com/restaurant/dining-en.html

jacket and tie; jeans are not permitted; sports shoes are not permitted
- restaurant
- palm court

smart attire is a must; jackets are required; sports shoes are not permitted [jeans??]
- rivoli bar

smart casual
- cigar shop and tasting room

metropolitan is another one of the hotels with apts like milestone

interesting from gallivanters twitter >
http://www.clubapartments.co.uk/apartments

AKA west end london seems to be taking 7 nt stays in june, before 30 nt stays after that, and has a 2BR with garage (even though it says this - "AKA West End provides the perfect environment for stays of a week or longer.")

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 13, 2013 at 6:30 pm
Old Jun 14, 2013, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
There IS a dress code at the Savoy. Bring your Tux. I hope you got that message.
I have, with all due respect, to disagree on this one. I've spent a weekend there and have never been bothered with the dress code. Only wearing casual attire (no jacket, no tie, wearing jeans) and got no comment nor decrease in service standarts.
However I understand some of the comments concerning the service : it feels like a regular Fairmont. Lots of staff, asking you every 10 sec if they can be of any help, and the service is a bit robotic. However I enjoyed the view of the river (courtyard views are depressing so be careful about the type of room you book) and my girlfriend was happy, not being accustomed to luxury hotels, to stay at an historic hotel.
I wouldn't stay there again, mainly because there is better, but they take care of their guests. And in my experience, you won't get hassled for not wearing a suit.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I assume the 2 free nights with the Fairmont credit card in the US can be used at The Savoy? In which case, for free, it is definitely worth it!

There is something to be said for staying in historic places like the Savoy, even if service etc is not the best in town. There is an atmosphere and history which can overcome other lapses, and of course you can get a river view as well.

The FS, for eg, whilst a lovely property, has rooms which, in general, face directly into other ugly concrete buildings and has a lot less within 5 minutes walk than the Savoy. Nice to go to the theatre and be back in your hotel within 10 minutes walk.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I assume the 2 free nights with the Fairmont credit card in the US can be used at The Savoy? In which case, for free, it is definitely worth it!

There is something to be said for staying in historic places like the Savoy, even if service etc is not the best in town. There is an atmosphere and history which can overcome other lapses, and of course you can get a river view as well.

The FS, for eg, whilst a lovely property, has rooms which, in general, face directly into other ugly concrete buildings and has a lot less within 5 minutes walk than the Savoy. Nice to go to the theatre and be back in your hotel within 10 minutes walk.
Good point about location although walking from the FS towards Knightsbridge gives a lot of options.

For the theatre though I would stay either One Aldwych or Covent Garden Hotel.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 8:52 am
Original Poster

I am rather surprised at the degree to which people are dismissing The Savoy. The reviews on TripAdvisor for The Savoy are much more favorable in comparison. I also didn't get a sense that people think much of The Milestone which is surprising given that it is #3 on TripAdvisor with average of 5/5 stars. The Lanesborough, The Connaught all appear a bit old and kind of stale? Which other hotels would people really recommend then?
Smrtmom1 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 8:58 am

Has anyone recently stayed at the Cafe Royal Hotel? How would you compare it with the FS, etc?
Old Jun 14, 2013, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Blackbook
Has anyone recently stayed at the Cafe Royal Hotel? How would you compare it with the FS, etc?
Yes - entirely different concept and style from the FS. I found it very refreshing for London - a really good mix between historical preservation and contemporary minimalism. The Grill Room, which is now a Champagne & Caviar Bar, is sumptuous. Food, generally, is British - sometimes from old British recipes, so quite interesting. The Spa is yet to open - hopefully soon - but it has the advantage of an indoor pool.

I am a big fan of FS Park Lane, especially its suites, but wish it would improve its Amaranto menu, or preferably turn it into a modern British restaurant. The only hotel which does really authentic Italian is Bvlgari, where the food is excellent - And it makes sense for Bvlgari to have an Italian restaurant, whereas it makes no sense at all for FS to have one.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

any aldwych fans stayed recently? they added a guest-only lounge

seems firmdale may have replaced it as other most consistent here along with FS recently

edit - oh right, for luxury hotels only trust this forum
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...formation.html

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 14, 2013 at 11:54 am
Old Jun 14, 2013, 11:49 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Be careful with reviews on TripAdvisor which often are written by the properties themselves.

The only reason I said the Covent Garden was stepping down a notch is because it is more of a boutique than a grand hotel. As far as service and atmosphere go it can't be beat.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 6:55 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others

seems firmdale may have replaced it as other most consistent here along with FS recently

If OA has added a guest only lounge, I didn't know about it when I was there recently. It is still a fine hotel, but the unfortunate fact is that little about the hotel has changed in 10 years, and other properties have zoomed past them (no, not the ME, which is truly atrocious).

I am an outlier on the Firmdale hotels, which are certainly good, but don't do much for me. For me the current choice is the Connaught.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I will definitely put another vote in for Hotel 41. They have been great to me on my 10+ stays over the years. Rather personal service that is warm and willing to go beyond the normal. Not a standard hotel but one that makes you feel relaxed and at home.

savoy >

here > http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post15254719
(scroll up for Goodmorning2U report for apartment at Hotel 41)

and here - a year ago - still going on? >

published dress code at savoy and ritz a year ago >
sounds like savoy might have been requiring more than was published

metropolitan is another one of the hotels with apts like milestone

interesting from gallivanters twitter >
http://www.clubapartments.co.uk/apartments

AKA west end london seems to be taking 7 nt stays in june, before 30 nt stays after that, and has a 2BR with garage (even though it says this - "AKA West End provides the perfect environment for stays of a week or longer.")
Old Jun 14, 2013, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by grumbler
If OA has added a guest only lounge, I didn't know about it when I was there recently. It is still a fine hotel, but the unfortunate fact is that little about the hotel has changed in 10 years, and other properties have zoomed past them (no, not the ME, which is truly atrocious).

I am an outlier on the Firmdale hotels, which are certainly good, but don't do much for me. For me the current choice is the Connaught.
re firmdale, there are some not super positive things here, but seems very consistent re service recently.

aldwych has not been getting the same discussion it used to, but i dont recall any comments about negative changes either.

(i believe FS has pretty much always been consistent here for service.)

lounge opened 8+ months ago according to >
http://www.usatoday.com/story/hotelc...aries/1726675/
- In September, London's luxurious One Aldwych hotel opened a private guest lounge that features cozy sofas and armchairs, free Wi-Fi, plus a selection of iPads, magazines and newspapers, says hotel publicist Howard Rombough.

Guests can also receive complimentary neck, back and shoulder massages, canapés in the afternoon and the services of a lounge host throughout the day who can book restaurants or check people into their flights. Guests can order food and cocktails throughout the day and evening.

The space previously housed a small café and the hotel's florist, Rombough says. The hotel created the lounge to gain an edge over rivals.

"Guests have hundreds of very good luxury hotels to choose from in London," Rombough says. "It was apparent — because our guests told us so — that a private lounge would be a big reason to keep them coming back."
http://www.onealdwych.com/contact-us.aspx Rombough is listed there

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
I will definitely put another vote in for Hotel 41. They have been great to me on my 10+ stays over the years. Rather personal service that is warm and willing to go beyond the normal. Not a standard hotel but one that makes you feel relaxed and at home.
thanks! was certainly a very good and interesting report on apartment by Goodmorning2U
Old Jun 14, 2013, 10:03 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Corinthia, which I agree is not a luxury hotel (and at which I did not have a good experience), is, however, doing a third night free promotion during the summer. Do not consider less than a premier room and even those vary widely.

People here talk about the Savoy being a Fairmont but don't seem to mention that the Lanesborough is a Starwood!
Old Jun 14, 2013, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did stay recently at Aldwych, used the guest only lounge (aka the mezzanine) and posted a review. It is still very good although different toiletries (which I like).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.