Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best hotel in Amsterdam?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2014, 9:36 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by offerendum
I stayed only at the IC Amstel so far and in my eyes it considers as luxury.
We've had several stays in Amsterdam, more main stream business including the Krasnapolsky. We liked our Intercontinental stay by far compared to the others. We had a lovely large room overlooking the canal. They had a good restaurant where we could sit outside enjoying the canal traffic.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We've had several stays in Amsterdam, more main stream business including the Krasnapolsky. We liked our Intercontinental stay by far compared to the others. We had a lovely large room overlooking the canal. They had a good restaurant where we could sit outside enjoying the canal traffic.
The restaurant (La Rive) is really good. Only issue is the breakfast which is medicore.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

re De l'Europe amsterdam - in another thread >

Originally Posted by vincentb89
As for De l'Europe, it's one of my favorite hotels in Europe.

Service is on par with what we call luxury on this forum but that's to be expected with the price they charge and the size of the hotel (close to a hundred rooms so you won't find any large scale convention bothering patrons). It's close to a "boutique" feel and they remember you. They've done wonders when it comes to small touches (ex : the front desk opening without asking anything the terrace of one of the banquet rooms at 4 in the morning in order to enjoy with a friend the canal and them delivering room service there which remains a good memory up to today
RTW1, service is focus here and standards are extremely high.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 17, 2014 at 1:47 pm
Old Oct 17, 2014, 3:08 pm
Suspended

I happen to think AMS is a fine hotel city. I think IC Amstel, Conservatorium, The Grand, De l'Europe, and the Waldorf (despite the blasé nature of ANY WA's rooms, in any city) are all more than competent options - maybe not 5*+, but 5* IMO.

Add in the 4*s (Pulitzer, for example) and you have a lot to work with.

It's luxury in the minimalist/Japanese style, not sure it's exactly 5*, but Hotel Okura looks very nice. Ate at Yamazato (1 Michelin star) in lobby and was uber impressed. More a business area, though.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 3:27 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by pricesquire
It's luxury in the minimalist/Japanese style, not sure it's exactly 5*, but Hotel Okura looks very nice. Ate at Yamazato (1 Michelin star) in lobby and was uber impressed. More a business area, though.
It's a pleasant hotel, ideal if you have to be at the Convention Center, but not luxe.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 3:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
It's a pleasant hotel, ideal if you have to be at the Convention Center, but not luxe.
I trust you - was quite pleased with lobby and dining options though.

From what I understand, Waldorf has a Michelin starred restaurant in their lobby too - can anyone comment on this?
Old Oct 17, 2014, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Andaz

A few posters have mentioned this in passing, and it's a good choice. I wouldn't consider it luxury, either, but it's modern with attractive design and with good service.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 12:56 am

My own take on Amsterdam is this - the city is attractive, obviously, with some important architecture and museums. However, it's not a place to stay overnight, especially if you have a car which is always my preferred mode of transport in Western Europe. I intend next trip to base myself in Voorburg, at the hotel Savelberg which is Relais & Chateaux with a *Michelin restaurant and proper parking. From there you can easily visit Delft, one of Europe's great examples of town planning, and take the train to Amsterdam.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Pausanias
My own take on Amsterdam is this - the city is attractive, obviously, with some important architecture and museums. However, it's not a place to stay overnight, especially if you have a car which is always my preferred mode of transport in Western Europe. I intend next trip to base myself in Voorburg, at the hotel Savelberg which is Relais & Chateaux with a *Michelin restaurant and proper parking. From there you can easily visit Delft, one of Europe's great examples of town planning, and take the train to Amsterdam.
I like your plan as a tourist, but we all have our different reasons for visiting Amsterdam. Myself I visit VERY often on business. I've found over the years, and as someone else mentioned above, there are just not enough hotel rooms here. Many times I've needed to make a last minute reservation only to find everything decent sold out. Amsterdam is a very popular conference and congress city and there's always something big going on. So I gave up on the hotels and now have a nice apartment. For about the same cost as 3 or 4 luxury hotel nights per month I have a huge 2 bedroom, two floor apartment on the water with parking. It's so large that I split the rent with a friend.

I still sometimes stay at the airport Sheraton which is super convenient for early morning flights. Or sometimes at certain other hotels for business reasons, but mostly I use the apartment which is far more luxurious than any hotel, sans the service.

Last edited by stimpy; Oct 18, 2014 at 2:03 am
Old Oct 18, 2014, 3:57 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Pausanias
Transportation indeed is easy... but staying outside of the city makes having (late) evening plans in Amsterdam itself a bit more difficult and tremendously less enjoyable. And sorry, but Amsterdam is manageable with a car, but I avoid it whenever possible. Park at one of the P+R's and take public transportation. And again, decent hotels are there if you take the time to look beyond the Hiltons and Sheratons.... Heck, I even like the Carlson Art'otel close to the central station if I know I will be drinking with friends in the city center. I don't expect any of the additional services or a fancy restaurant, but they do offer a laid back atmosphere and very decent rooms. Sometimes even on the F&F rate :-).

Last edited by RTW1; Oct 18, 2014 at 4:07 am
Old Oct 18, 2014, 4:05 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pricesquire
From what I understand, Waldorf has a Michelin starred restaurant in their lobby too - can anyone comment on this?
It's called Librije's Zusje and is a "branch" of the 3star Librije in Zwolle.
I've had lunch there and it was good. I didn't find it spectacular but still very good. Looking at the menu for dinner that looks good too, but a little overpriced for my taste. Nothing unexpected for a restaurant in a hotel though....

But I would rather spend my money at Yamazato at the Okura that was also mentioned. Although they are also expensive, especially if you start on the sake....
Old Oct 18, 2014, 4:08 am

Red face

Originally Posted by stimpy
I like your plan as a tourist, but we all have our different reasons for visiting Amsterdam. Myself I visit VERY often on business.
Yes, of course. It's sometimes easy for me to forget that people still have jobs . . .
Old Oct 18, 2014, 7:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RTW1
It's called Librije's Zusje and is a "branch" of the 3star Librije in Zwolle.
I've had lunch there and it was good. I didn't find it spectacular but still very good. Looking at the menu for dinner that looks good too, but a little overpriced for my taste. Nothing unexpected for a restaurant in a hotel though....

But I would rather spend my money at Yamazato at the Okura that was also mentioned. Although they are also expensive, especially if you start on the sake....
I found Yamazato to be one of those rare circumstances that completely justified the price.

Expensive is an understatement...but the experience, food, service, and sushi chef made it worth every penny.

Not snobby or pretentious, either, especially considering the Michelin star.

Gotta love the "no cell phone" policy at the sushi bar, too.

I'd go back in a heart beat. Also want to try the other (non-starred) Japanese place in the lobby (next door to Yamazato).
Old Oct 19, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
So what do people think are the very best choices there now - Conservatorium ? Dylan ?
Old Oct 19, 2014, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by grumbler
Conservatorium

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.